And then there were two

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tyrtle

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Arvada, Colorado
Hi! We are new to tortoise parenting and new to the forum. We recently adopted two female Russian tortoises and the former parent recommended this site. We have already highly enjoyed the information, discussion and pictures here.

"We" are Mom and son living near Denver, Colorado. Son is 10-year old who, after three years of asking for a tortoise, finally wore Mom down. I do have to commend his dedication. He really studied a lot about keeping tortoises. His passion for the topic was infectious.

Once I decided it would be okay to get one, we ended up finding two that came together. Why not? We've been told they are sisters. They are named Lego and Squirt. Pic10c.jpgPic12c.jpg

They are currently living in a large Rubbermaid tub. On one end there are the UVA/UVB lamps which keep that side a toasty 92 degrees. On the other is a red heat lamp that goes on at night.

So far they enjoy Spring mix and have also tried radish greens. They get a soak a couple times a week. We are really looking forward to taking them out in the sunshine when it warms up. And I have lots of garden goodies for them too!

Tyrtle and Mom

Picture%2520010.jpg

Pic12c.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Welcome! Good job son on convincing and showing Mom your continued interest. Great job Mom in finally giving in. I think you both will enjoy the girls, but I am betting Mom may end up the real tortoise person. :D

Tyrtle

5 Year Member
Arvada, Colorado
Jacqui said:
Welcome! Good job son on convincing and showing Mom your continued interest. Great job Mom in finally giving in. I think you both will enjoy the girls, but I am betting Mom may end up the real tortoise person. :D

Thanks Jacqui! Funny how that works, huh? I am already surprised how much I like them.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Tyrtle said:
Jacqui said:

Thanks Jacqui! Funny how that works, huh? I am already surprised how much I like them.

Tortoises really grow on folks and it does often amaze them how much they begin to mean to them and how wrapped up in them they become. :cool: Being a Mom is great, that way you can both indulge your children and actually be indulging your inner self too. ;) :D

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi "tyrtle":

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

What would you like us to call you?

I think you're really going to enjoy your new Russian tortoises.

Tyrtle

5 Year Member
Arvada, Colorado
emysemys said:
Hi "tyrtle":

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

What would you like us to call you?

I think you're really going to enjoy your new Russian tortoises.

Thanks for the welcome! You can call us "Tyrtle".
I am enjoying them. I look at them all the time as if something will happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.