Not open for further replies.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
So this lady calls me on the phone to see if I know anyone who would take in a couple baby tortoises. Here's the story :

She looked out her kitchen window one day last spring and saw a tiny turtle on the pool coping. She brought it in and set it up in a habitat. She did research and learned how to care for a tortoise. A few days later her small dog brought in another one from the back yard. It wasn't hurt. She took them both to the vet for a check up. The vet was evidently well-versed in tortoise care, thank goodness, having a sulcata of his own. He told her they were sulcata hatchlings and he told her how to care for them.

The people who's yard butts up against hers at the back had three large tortoises, and they recently moved out, taking the tortoises with them. I told her to go around the yard with a fine toothed comb because a clutch of only two eggs is very rare and would be quite unusual. She even looked over the fence into the other yard, but didn't find any more babies.

So, after the vet I.D.'d the babies for her, and she did more online research, she realized that sulcata babies isn't something that would fit into their lifestyle. She is very fond of them and is taking good care of them, with a UV light plus some outside time. I told her of the Christmas Tree storage bin by Iris (she needed to upgrade as what she was using wasn't big enough), and she might keep them for a while longer before bringing them to me.

So sulcata eggs will hatch in the ground here. I wonder where the rest of the babies are.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hmm... I have a friend out in Riverside who does not dig up his eggs and he occasionally gets a hatchling too.

dbsneed69

5 Year Member
TN
That would be great. I would love to have a nice herd of sulcatas popping up out of the ground.

B

byerssusan

wonderful story..I would love to look outside and see baby sulcatas coming out of the ground. *S* Sorry to hear they would not fit into her life stlye. Seems like that was meant to be.

Stephanie

5 Year Member
Southern California
I would love to find baby sulcata in my yard! How awesome! :D
It's too bad that she cannot keep them herself, but I really admire just how much she cares enough to know to let them go into better hands. It shows what a great person she really is! :)

froghaven5

5 Year Member
New Jersey
Neat story. Wonder if there is any way to track down the former owners. Great of her to take them in at least for now. :)

l0velesly

10 Year Member!
Lynnwood, WA
lushcious said:
What a cute story! I hope my tortoises will randomly appear!

*more
lol, not "my"
It'd be great if all the hatchlings make it out find. It seems dangerous if one of them wanders off to a busy street.

fbsmith3

5 Year Member
Worcester, MA
I am only famliar with communal nesting areas.

If a single turtle lays her eggs, can the hatchinlg come out over a few days?
Just curious and maybe more with be seen in the next few days.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Great story but what does

saw a tiny turtle on the pool coping

mean?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The lady doesn't know anything about turtles/tortoises. When she looked out the window she didn't know she was seeing a baby tortoise. She thought it was a turtle. And in-the-ground swimming pools have an edge around them that is called a coping.

Status
Not open for further replies.