Not open for further replies.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I hope they DO spread. That's great food for my Manouria tortoises. Trouble is, they freeze clear down to the ground, so every spring they have to start up all over again.

ripper7777777

10 Year Member!
Houston
Yea, wish I would have had something to eat them, we made, well I made the mistake of planting them near the front door of the house...oooppps

F

freddy10

O really I did not know I did? I though I came up with it first. As since you are condered old timer I would be condered A Newer Old Timer lol and I would dis agree with the whole plastic thing what happens if your tortoises eats it not very healthy for any animal it can get stuck and die we don't want no animal to die know do we?? I just though chicken wire would work but theres petty of different type of wire like mush and there is a thing called wood as well. In fact my sign at the end I did come up with if what you did yesterday impresses you then you have not done squat today!!! So where is that your profile??? Uh Uh??

And what is can of dum is if your tortoises is climbing your lattice with plastic then how can they climb chicken wire? It is way much smaller than lattice? Right.??? Or just go with Wood then it can't get stuck and it can help keep it warm!! There that's how you solve your problem there Old Timer!!!

Okay they may get suck on the chicken wire with there claws so just go with wood, or plexus glass! There that should work then they can't climb!

But that poor thing could be stuck there all night I am sure you did not get up in the middle of the night to check on him or her? and plastic is very dangers that's why they have warning because kids and animals can suffocate!! So no Plastic very very dangers!!

No matter how soft your plastic is should not be use where any animals can get to it!!

And with your pond how is built? How and does a water turtle get under it to where your lattice is? Maybe you need to have concrete or have it re-done that's if you have concrete at the bottom of your pond? And from the pic the pond is how many feet from the lattice?

ripper7777777

10 Year Member!
Houston
freddy10 said:
O really I did not know I did? I though I came up with it first. As since you are condered old timer I would be condered A Newer Old Timer lol and I would dis agree with the whole plastic thing what happens if your tortoises eats it not very healthy for any animal it can get stuck and die we don't want no animal to die know do we?? I just though chicken wire would work but theres petty of different type of wire like mush and there is a thing called wood as well. In fact my sign at the end I did come up with if what you did yesterday impresses you then you have not done squat today!!! So where is that your profile??? Uh Uh??

And what is can of dum is if your tortoises is climbing your lattice with plastic then how can they climb chicken wire? It is way much smaller than lattice? Right.??? Or just go with Wood then it can't get stuck and it can help keep it warm!! There that's how you solve your problem there Old Timer!!!

Okay they may get suck on the chicken wire with there claws so just go with wood, or plexus glass! There that should work then they can't climb!

But that poor thing could be stuck there all night I am sure you did not get up in the middle of the night to check on him or her? and plastic is very dangers that's why they have warning because kids and animals can suffocate!! So no Plastic very very dangers!!

No matter how soft your plastic is should not be use where any animals can get to it!!

And with your pond how is built? How and does a water turtle get under it to where your lattice is? Maybe you need to have concrete or have it re-done that's if you have concrete at the bottom of your pond? And from the pic the pond is how many feet from the lattice?

Well I should stay out of this, but I can't help myself, I don't care for chicken wire either, I have used it for everything from pens to concrete forms, I just hate the stuff.

Lattice works well and the plastic stuff is great, no worries of treated lumber. If the holes are still to large for the animal, it can be doubled up, but I'm sure emysemys has it all under control and didn't plan to start a debate posting a cute funny picture.

B

byerssusan

emysemys said:
Its an Actinemys marmorata (western pond turtle). They're governed by the fishing limit laws, and the limit on turtles is 0...so its illegal to have them. But I have a Memorandum of Understanding from the DFG that allows me to take them in and rehab them. This one was hit by a car. He's fine now.

So what happens now? If the turtle was hit by a car, which am glad there are those who will take them and rehablitate them. What happens now, do you release it back into the wild or are you able to keep it?

F

freddy10

Yeah but plastic come on? If you read all my post you would have seen what I said so I said wood as well!! And no having a any animal stuck for no telling how many hours is not a pretty picture for you it might but if me no!! And I am not talking and the plastic lattie I am talking about the plastic on the out side of the lattice what she use to help keep the warm air in!!

B

byerssusan

Well since it has become somewhat of a debate..I would have to agree about using plastic..Not the plastic lattice I like that..But the plastic on the outside. In knowing that such a turtle is a great escape artist. i would think that preperations should have been made before putting them into an enclosure ..making sure it would be escape free before letting them into it. That's just my 2 cents .

It was a cute picture to us.. But you said the turtle was really stuck in there. So to me the turtle could have been in pain for all we know.And you don't know how long the turtle was stuck there struggling to get out. Whether it was stuck in plastic lattice or not. What we think is cute sometimes is just an illusion..

F

freddy10

byerssusan said:
Well since it has become somewhat of a debate..I would have to agree about using plastic..Not the plastic lattice I like that..But the plastic on the outside. In knowing that such a turtle is a great escape artist. i would think that preperations should have been made before putting them into an enclosure ..making sure it would be escape free before letting them into it. That's just my 2 cents .

I would agree finally someone on here who feels what I feel!! And knows what I am talking about!

byerssusan said:

It was a cute picture to us.. But you said the turtle was really stuck in there. So to me the turtle could have been in pain for all we know.And you don't know how long the turtle was stuck there struggling to get out. Whether it was stuck in plastic lattice or not. What we think is cute sometimes is just an illusion..

Way to go byerssusan!!! And one persons on said it was cutie?? Talking to Ripper 7777777, How rude and selfish!! That's not being very nice and think about the turtle not your self!!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Oh well...to each his own. I will continue to use plastic to wrap my lattice houses. It is stapled to the outside, the opposite side from the tortoises, and in all my years of using it, has never caused any problems. The turtle was stuck in the hole of the plastic lattice, not the plastic sheeting.

Thank you both for your concern.

F

freddy10

emysemys said:
Oh well...to each his own. I will continue to use plastic to wrap my lattice houses. It is stapled to the outside, the opposite side from the tortoises, and in all my years of using it, has never caused any problems. The turtle was stuck in the hole of the plastic lattice, not the plastic sheeting.

Thank you both for your concern.

And for your info byerssusan is a women look on her profile not a man!! And you are a moderator? I am just worrying about the health of your tortoises! And trying to help you thats all!!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Where in my reply did I ever say that Susan was a male? "To each his own" is a saying. It refers to mankind, not a male and not a female.

B

byerssusan

Actually I am animal lover of all kinds..and you are there to rehabiltate turtles..and I am guessing tortoises also. It concerns mean have you not made it necessary to change their habitat so they will not further injure themslelves? I am not trying to sound mean nor trying to get negative but you said the turtle was hit by a car..What if you would have walked in and one of your tortoises had laid on it? I'm thinking that could be possible. I am just saying perhaps you need to look into a more escape free enclosure for them.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Believe me...I've checked the pond and its fencing over with a fine-toothed comb. I have no idea how on earth this turtle got over the fence. There is one spot in the capping where it is only about 2" overhang. I'm thinking that may be where he climbed over. And this afternoon, I replaced that board already.

I appreciate your concern, really I do. I don't agree with some of what has been said, but I do take it all under advisement.

F

freddy10

emysemys said:
Where in my reply did I ever say that Susan was a male?

You said to " each his own" indicated that she was a he! You should had put To each of their own!!

B

byerssusan

See I don't know about the turtle and their escaping abilities..But if one knows they will do what they will to get free. If one is going to raise these turtles I would think they would make sure it was escape free before putting them in their enclosure.

B

byerssusan

Well I hope that takes care of your problem. Really I do. I lovewater turtles.. Use to have all sorts when I lived in Indiana.. Of course I had a pond they would come and go. I wasnt keeping them. They came naturally..It was odd one time of the year every year all the box turtles would come to this pond and literally take it over. Digging holes in the sides of the pond hiding. It was awesome actually. I guess it was breeding season

F

freddy10

This is for everyone who said the two pictures that was taken was CUTE!! if you have an IPhone of a computer Please relook at those pictures again try to zoom closer I did, and It is not CUTE!! That water turtle belongs in water not on plastic lattice and plastic sheet there, the poor thing was trying to get unstuck and had to be in pain... And the said part is this turtle had gotten hit by a car and look where it is now! Now the water turtle is better this what kind of care it is getting now!! What do you guys think? please try to zoom and look again Ask your self is this funny or cute?? No No No it is not cute!!!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You need to look at the pictures again. That turtle was in no danger of suffocation. His head was totally clear of the plastic film. And incidentally, that is 4mil plastic. No one can suffocate on 4mil, it's too thick.

That's enough of the off topic now. Thank you Freddy and Susan for your concern. The turtle has been put back into the pond. He is no longer in danger of suffocation or mishandling. If you would like to continue this argument then please take it to a new topic in the debate section.

Any further comments will be deleted from this thread.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Pictures like this are important to show us what these turtles are capable of, and it teaches people so we never underestimate them. The turtle was....and is fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.