an alright day hit rock bottom.

Status
Not open for further replies.

nate.mann

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Glendale, Arizona, USA
went out to check on my two tortoises, a Russian and Leopard. checked the Russian and she was in her hide burrowed in and ready to sleep for the rest of the night. i threw her food scraps outside the enclosure so the ants wouldnt come in for them. all is good. i moved on to my Leopard, who was the one in rough condition when i rescued him (theyre both rescues). i normally have to search for him because he doesnt like going in his hide. after some searching i found him nuzzled in one of his common spots in the grass. i picked him up to move him to his hide..and nothing. no movement or reaction on his part. i stroked his front legs to coax him out of his shell, and still no movement. i gave him a soak and still nothing. hes dead. i just checked on them a few hours ago and he was just fine, was acting normal, looked normal, and was in his usual spot for the time of day. dont know what happened, dont really feel like debating on the cause. ive put so much energy and time into nursing him back to health..then to have this happen is a really crushing blow. im really upset and confused. this is where Squirts road to recovery and a happy life end abruptly.

0.1.0 Russian
0.0.1 Leopard
1.0.0 Blue Pit/American Bulldog
Chive On!

sorry to put a damper on anyones evening..just thought i would let you all know.

0.1.0 Russian
0.0.1 Leopard
Chive On!

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
SWFL
How devastating. I am very sorry for your loss. Heartbreaking.

Ann from CT

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
So sad to hear of your loss. He was very lucky to have you in his life. Leaving this world from a safe, comfortable place and surrounded by love is more than many humans get. Regardless of the final outcome, kindness is NEVER wasted.
HUGGGS!

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
What a bummer! I feel for you. You did all you could for this lil guy. Sometimes, especially rescues, are so damaged, that nothing you could've done would have changed the outcome. It's always heartbreaking. Sorry you had to experience this at this critical time in your life.:'(

nate.mann

5 Year Member
Glendale, Arizona, USA
its been very hard, i cant help but feel terrible and guilty. ive been so excited the last week or so because of how much he was improving and becoming active. my girlfriend knows this especially because i would blab to her about how proud i was for taking in a very unhealthy tort as my second one overall, and first of this species and to have actually been doing a good job. i was so happy and giddy about it all..and then i find him dead. i just dont know what to do right now. i know im gonna go out to their enclosures tomorrow and be crushed that his is now empty it hurts. i feel as though its my fault. when i told my mom about it she said 'well thats just what you get for taking on someone elses problem'.

0.1.0 Russian
0.0.1 Leopard
Chive On!

Merlin M

5 Year Member
Edinburgh, Scotland
Oh I am so sorry for your loss!!

I have to admit when I lost a tortoise I had to get another within a few days as I couldn't take seeing her empty table! Not particularly advisable really as I was still grieving, but it worked out in the end.

There is nothing worse than losing a pet, particularly when everything as going so well and you have put so much work in!

nate.mann

5 Year Member
Glendale, Arizona, USA
ive been seriously considering it to be completely honest with you. i do want another Leopard, but would love a Redfoot/Cherryhead (i adore those two species). i dont know. theres a guy in mesa (about an hour SE of me) who has Leopards that are less than a year or two old for $85 each. cant go wrong with that price. gonna get ahold of him in the morning and see if theyre still available and if he could hold one for me.

0.1.0 Russian
Chive On!

nate.mann

5 Year Member
Glendale, Arizona, USA
i do still have my healthy little Russian girl to look after and care for, so theres that. but the nice big enclosure next door to hers deserves a new occupant. i guess we'll see. theres also a Redfoot on craigslist, but for $350. dont have that money at all.

0.1.0 Russian
Chive On!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It wasn't your fault, Nate. When a tortoise is sick, and your rescued tortoise was sick, they hide their symptoms pretty well. He just never recovered from whatever was wrong with him when you got him. That's a real shame. I'm so sorry for your loss.

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
Re: RE: an alright day hit rock bottom.

Merlin M said:
Oh I am so sorry for your loss!!

I have to admit when I lost a tortoise I had to get another within a few days as I couldn't take seeing her empty table! Not particularly advisable really as I was still grieving, but it worked out in the end.

There is nothing worse than losing a pet, particularly when everything as going so well and you have put so much work in!

I did the same thing.... each person must do whatever feels right for them! Some probably frown upon it, but it helped me with my grieving and helped me move on..... I managed to wait a whole month, but it was hard seeing the empty enclosure :(

Sorry for your loss Nate! It is particularly hard when they seem to be improving.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using TortForum mobile app

ShellyTurtlesCats

5 Year Member
Mesa
Re: RE: an alright day hit rock bottom.

nate.mann said:
ive been seriously considering it to be completely honest with you. i do want another Leopard, but would love a Redfoot/Cherryhead (i adore those two species). i dont know. theres a guy in mesa (about an hour SE of me) who has Leopards that are less than a year or two old for $85 each. cant go wrong with that price. gonna get ahold of him in the morning and see if theyre still available and if he could hold one for me.

0.1.0 Russian
Chive On!

That's the same guy I get my babies from. Very friendly. Although, he only does a humid hide. Luckily, all of his are under 6 months and have lots of growing left.

nate.mann

5 Year Member
Glendale, Arizona, USA
yeah i got ahold of him this morning and he said the oldest he has is four months. which im okay with, they have A LOT of growing to do and any pyramiding that may happen will easily be outgrown. think you can talk him into a discount? haha, we have very little money to spare, and that wont change anytime soon. if not i understand.

0.1.0 Russian
Chive On!

mikeh

5 Year Member
Sorry to hear about your leopard especially after all the effort. You gave him few weeks of great life that he prob never experienced before and never would have without you. That you should feel good about.

sent from mobile device using TFO app

Status
Not open for further replies.