amount of heat lamps

GenevieveGarfoot

Location (City and/or State)
nottingham
Hi, i have just made a table for my newly rescued horsfield. He's around 10 and supposedly fully grown, his enclosure is 5 foot by 4 foot, i have one heat lamp at the moment. my rooms sits at about 20°c, looking for advice if i need another heat lamp?
This is Cad! when he was given to the rescue his beak was very over grown and he was very shy.

Attachments

• IMG_7463.jpeg
    IMG_7463.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 2

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Hello and welcome!

You will need to measure temperature in the cold part of the enclosure, it could be different from overall room temperature. 20C is fine for an adult Russian tortoise. If you don't plan to keep him outside, you will need need a UVB lamp (long straight tube, T5 type) and ambient LED lights in addition to the basking lamp.

You might need an additional heat lamp (ceramic heat emitter) to maintain ambient temperatures at night if you don't plan to brumate (hibernate) him in winter. However, Cad might have other ideas despite all you plans and stay awake or vice-versa.

You might also read this post:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/info-for-new-people-please-read-this-first.202363/ for basics of tortoise care and then look at the temperate species care sheet and brumation thread (both linked at the end of that post).

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
5x4 is too small.minimum should be a 4x8.
A tube florescent for uvb unless you can house him outside in a bigger enclosure or for daily time outside during warm months
A incandescent flood bulb for basking when inside
Ceramic heat emitter for night heat if it gets into lower 60's in your house if you don't brumate him in winter.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi, i have just made a table for my newly rescued horsfield. He's around 10 and supposedly fully grown, his enclosure is 5 foot by 4 foot, i have one heat lamp at the moment. my rooms sits at about 20°c, looking for advice if i need another heat lamp?
This is Cad! when he was given to the rescue his beak was very over grown and he was very shy.
Hello and welcome. Did you find the answer you were looking for in the thread that Alex linked for you?