Heat lamps

Alicia Graham

I normally have a big supply of lamps in my tortoise cupboard but I’ve had them on order for a while now as lots of people are stock piling them. Last week one of them blew so I put the new one in but that was the last of my lamps. Now the other lamp has blown and the ones on order haven’t come. Reptile shop isn’t open until Monday so I’ll have to try pet shops. Most of them don’t keep reptile things and if they do they don’t have anything. I’ll go try our reptile pets at home now. Does anyone else have this problem? There’s not that many tortoise keepers in Northern Ireland either. House heating is on and the torts are happy for now.

Location (City and/or State)
Salisbury
I had the exact same problem! You just need to keep the torts relatively warm and make sure there enclosures are still bright. You can keep them warm by turning up the heating and of you have radiators then you could put him or her under there, just make sure you watch them.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I normally have a big supply of lamps in my tortoise cupboard but I’ve had them on order for a while now as lots of people are stock piling them. Last week one of them blew so I put the new one in but that was the last of my lamps. Now the other lamp has blown and the ones on order haven’t come. Reptile shop isn’t open until Monday so I’ll have to try pet shops. Most of them don’t keep reptile things and if they do they don’t have anything. I’ll go try our reptile pets at home now. Does anyone else have this problem? There’s not that many tortoise keepers in Northern Ireland either. House heating is on and the torts are happy for now.
This was one thing I liked about the incandescent bulbs that have been discontinued. You could always use one of them in a pinch until your UVB lights came in.

This doesn't help your emergency situation, but I've switched out all my MVBs for the T-5 fluorescent tube UVB. Then for heat I use either a RHP or a CHE.

If you have a light/lamp in the house that you're using in another room, you can rob that for your tortoise until the ordered lights come in. He can do without UVB for a while.

Alicia Graham

I had the exact same problem! You just need to keep the torts relatively warm and make sure there enclosures are still bright. You can keep them warm by turning up the heating and of you have radiators then you could put him or her under there, just make sure you watch them.
Sometimes when I let them walk around my floor they’ll sit under the radiator. The bigger one doesn’t fit anymore so I’ll give him the heat lamp which is working. The younger loves lying under the radiator and I have this heat teddy which she sleeps sometimes while I have her out so I’ll give her that too! Thanks for your reply

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You don't need a pet shop. You can use any incandescent flood bulb from the hardware store.

Alicia Graham

You don't need a pet shop. You can use any incandescent flood bulb from the hardware store.
None of them are really open here. I got one from pets at home (not even the reptile pets at home) and the other ones should be coming next week.