Am I set up for our new Hermann?

cochransrc

Location (City and/or State)
Parker, CO
Hi,

We are new to the tortoise world and going to be getting a new baby Hermann tortoise. But I am wanting to make sure I’m not missing anything! My son made the “cage”. We have both types of lights. On the basking side, the temperature is about 94°. The hiding spot has moist moss, and has a higher humidity level with high70’s for the temperature. Then on the other side, the UVB light there with temperatures in the high 70’s....what am I missing? Do I need more lights? The soil is about 2” deep, With about 2” bark on top. Any advise, I would appreciate it. Don’t want to screw things up!!!
IMG_2355.jpgIMG_2353.jpg

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
Hi,

We are new to the tortoise world and going to be getting a new baby Hermann tortoise. But I am wanting to make sure I’m not missing anything! My son made the “cage”. We have both types of lights. On the basking side, the temperature is about 94°. The hiding spot has moist moss, and has a higher humidity level with high70’s for the temperature. Then on the other side, the UVB light there with temperatures in the high 70’s....what am I missing? Do I need more lights? The soil is about 2” deep, With about 2” bark on top. Any advise, I would appreciate it. Don’t want to screw things up!!!
View attachment 253148View attachment 253149

1. What soil are you specifically using? Topsoil with no additives will be the safest.

2. What type of bulb are you using that is showing up blue? Please be as specific as possible. Coiled over and bent U shaped UV(B) bulbs are unsafe and have been known to cause eye problems in tortoises.

3. A humid hide may not be enough to keep humidity levels high in an open enclosure. Young Hermanns should have at least 70+% humidity at all times to promote smooth shell growth. Consider adding a covered lid to raise overall humidity levels.

4. Dangling your lighting fixture cords to hang like that is unsafe. It's stretching the cord out. Hook up chains to the holes of the fixture and hang it that way to prevent cord wear and tear.

5. The small thermometer hygrometer analog gauge you're currently using is inaccurate. Consider purchasing a food/weather grade digital reader instead.

6. Your currently enclosure is quite narrow (Is that 1-1.5 ft in width?) and would not be suitable for growing Hermanns. Consider building something wider such as an 8 x 4 ft enclosure in the future.

cochransrc

Parker, CO
1. What soil are you specifically using? Topsoil with no additives will be the safest. I believe it doesn’t have additives, but I’m running back to the store to check, and will update you.

2. What type of bulb are you using that is showing up blue? Please be as specific as possible. Coiled over and bent U shaped UV(B) bulbs are unsafe and have been known to cause eye problems in tortoises. It is from a set from “all living things” for tortoises, 1 desert UVB bulb (Spiraled) and 1 basking 75 watt bulb, as well as the 2 dome bulbs that work up-to 100 Watts.

3. A humid hide may not be enough to keep humidity levels high in an open enclosure. Young Hermanns should have at least 70+% humidity at all times to promote smooth shell growth. Consider adding a covered lid to raise overall humidity levels. I will try and find a lid or make one.

4. Dangling your lighting fixture cords to hang like that is unsafe. It's stretching the cord out. Hook up chains to the holes of the fixture and hang it that way to prevent cord wear and tear. Yes, we are going to do a more permanent fix, we were just trying to find the right spot to get to 95° before permanently attaching.

5. The small thermometer hygrometer analog gauge you're currently using is inaccurate. Consider purchasing a food/weather grade digital reader instead. Okay, I have 1 digital and I will return that one. We have been using a heat gun (Family if electricians) which has been coming in lower then that thermometer...so I’ve been puzzled.

6. Your currently enclosure is quite narrow (Is that 1-1.5 ft in width?) and would not be suitable for growing Hermanns. Consider building something wider such as an 8 x 4 ft enclosure in the future.
Yes this is for the tortoise as he is a baby and small juvenile and then will be rebuilding it.

Thank you for all the pointers, I will get on it and make the changes. How deep should the substrate be so that our little guy can burrow?

cochransrc

Parker, CO
Hi,

We are new to the tortoise world and going to be getting a new baby Hermann tortoise. But I am wanting to make sure I’m not missing anything! My son made the “cage”. We have both types of lights. On the basking side, the temperature is about 94°. The hiding spot has moist moss, and has a higher humidity level with high70’s for the temperature. Then on the other side, the UVB light IMG_2358.jpgthere with temperatures in the high 70’s....what am I missing? Do I need more lights? The soil is about 2” deep, With about 2” bark on top. Any advise, I would appreciate it. Don’t want to screw things up!!!

cochransrc

Parker, CO
1. What soil are you specifically using? Topsoil with no additives will be the safest.

2. What type of bulb are you using that is showing up blue? Please be as specific as possible. Coiled over and bent U shaped UV(B) bulbs are unsafe and have been known to cause eye problems in tortoises.

3. A humid hide may not be enough to keep humidity levels high in an open enclosure. Young Hermanns should have at least 70+% humidity at all times to promote smooth shell growth. Consider adding a covered lid to raise overall humidity levels.

4. Dangling your lighting fixture cords to hang like that is unsafe. It's stretching the cord out. Hook up chains to the holes of the fixture and hang it that way to prevent cord wear and tear.

5. The small thermometer hygrometer analog gauge you're currently using is inaccurate. Consider purchasing a food/weather grade digital reader instead.

IMG_2360.jpg

cochransrc

Parker, CO
Thank you for all the pointers, I will get on it and make the changes. How deep should the substrate be so that our little guy can burrow?

Also under his little hideaway we have a long fiber SPHAGNUM organic Moss That is for gardening as well as the vivariums. From what I read this was OK to use which is why we bought it but then I read some people tortoises don’t do well with it?

Minority2

Tortoise Hell

Hermann tortoises do not typically burrow like Russians do. Some Hermanns may display this type of behavior and some may do it because something is wrong within the enclosure. 4+ inches of substrate should be fine for Hermanns.

There are many available options in lids. Plexiglass, corrugated cardboard, insulation foam board, acrylic, mesh, hardware cloth, plastic film, and so on. You just need to make sure you seal most of the large gaps to prevent heat and humidity from easily escaping.

Personally I prefer lamp fixtures with larger diameter hoods over small ones. They project the light over a wider area which is what I actually want. This is an example of an afforable and reliable non-pet branded work lamp fixture:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-300...-SearchPLPHorizontal1_rr-_-NA-_-204684496-_-N

The bulb you're holding is in fact a coiled over/compact florescent bulb. Older version have been known to cause severe eye problems in tortoises. New versions are supposedly fixed but look exactly the same as the old ones. As a precaution many of us in this forum advises against using them. Consider a linear florescent fixture instead.

Here is an example of a linear florescent UV(B) bulb rated for Tortoises:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AQU8HAO/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

Another example on linear florescent fixtures; one set on 4 daily cycles on a UV(B) bulb and another set on 12-14 hours cycles on a regular 6500k florescent bulb for ambient lighting.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XPKQPSL/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

Also under his little hideaway we have a long fiber SPHAGNUM organic Moss That is for gardening as well as the vivariums. From what I read this was OK to use which is why we bought it but then I read some people tortoises don’t do well with it?

Personally I don't believe sphagnum moss is all that great. It isn't absolutely necessary to have. A humid hide can stay humid without sphagnum moss. While the substrate is considered safe when ingested; the practice of eating substrate is still not something you want your tortoise to do.

Ella’s Gigi

5 Year Member
Black Forest, Colorado
My Western loves to burrow but only barely covers his shell. I use topsoil about 2 inches deep then mixed topsoil and cypress mulch for another 2-3 inches. When I first set it up I poured water over it and mixed it all up so the mulch would soak up the water and help hold humidity. I’m also in Colorado and struggle with humidity levels so I soak him about 5 times a week and I spray his enclosure 2 times a day.

cochransrc

Parker, CO
My Western loves to burrow but only barely covers his shell. I use topsoil about 2 inches deep then mixed topsoil and cypress mulch for another 2-3 inches. When I first set it up I poured water over it and mixed it all up so the mulch would soak up the water and help hold humidity. I’m also in Colorado and struggle with humidity levels so I soak him about 5 times a week and I spray his enclosure 2 times a day.

I increased the depth of his top soil and got rid of the bark (mixed a little bit in with the top soil) and soak it about once a week and spray it twice a day. I’ve been able to keep the humidity around 60-70% and he is active and seems to be happy...so maybe I’m doing this right? Maybe lol

Kobe's_Staff

Southport
Hi,

Kobe's_Staff

Southport
I like it. It seems to have everything covered. I used to use an edible substrate but stopped when he spent most of his time roaming the house (I have laminate throughout downstairs so I'm not worried about the carpet and built him a little ramp so he could do so).

cochransrc

Parker, CO
I like it. It seems to have everything covered. I used to use an edible substrate but stopped when he spent most of his time roaming the house (I have laminate throughout downstairs so I'm not worried about the carpet and built him a little ramp so he could do so).

Thank you, In a few years, that’s out goal too, we have wood floors downstairs, so hoping he can come and go!