Am I really moving out of SoCal????

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Oregon
TFOer's... There is such a long story to this but you guys are only getting the Reader's Digest version.
:rolleyes:
Well, we are 99% sure that the family is moving up to Oregon in the next month or 2. As a SoCal girl my whole life with a plan to never EVER leave, I've had knots in my stomach over what to do with the torts. My long term goal was to breed the leopards and continue on the hot and humid education path.....all while living in CA. But Oregon? Oh man. I know some of you guys living in the cold states do it...but it's not as easy. (btw, I've never been in snow... ever.....unless the bubble snow at Disneyland counts. oh man what am I in for?)

I know my 3 legged CDT, Luke Skywalker can't go. Man, that guy has really stolen my heart.:<3: He is something special and I'm a total sap getting teary eyes as I type this up just thinking about it.

And then there is the group of leopards. If we were moving up there under "different conditions" I'd consider taking the whole group and investing to make it work.... But I can't.:(

The good news is, I'll be able to take at least one, Levi my first leopard. I can take his insulated heated house and find a way to make the space for him...but that's it. Man! This is soooo not what I ever expected to happen!!!
Ugh, it just dawned on me, I'd be moving before the CTTC OC Show in August which means I'd miss that, too! After all my hard work in preparing presentation material..:rolleyes: oy..

Man, this is hard... I recently bought a brand new baby leo, too...

Maybe the SoCal weather can move up north with me??? It'll make things a lot easier and I can continue living in flip flops. :eek:

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sorry you will have to give up your tortoises . But there's a lot of good keepers here on the forum you can give them to . The plus side of that you will see them grow and know who and how they are being kept .

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
Man, that's always tough but life always seems to throw curve balls. Oregon I hear is very nice maybe you can get more insite on weather and stuff from members from Oregon

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
What part of Oregon? There are several different climates in Oregon, not just the rain! So maybe you'll be able to keep more of your tortoises then you're thinking.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Yes, TFO members will be who I consider for new homes.

Southern Oregon. The main reason I can only take 1 is not so much weather based as it is we are moving in with extended family. Don't know for how long or what will come next.

We believe a lot of good will come from this move....but the change in tort direction is the hard part.. :/

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Southern Oregon are not bad at all. It is not Washington like where Cowboy Ken lives. I have a friend who lives about an hour north of California border have very nice weather, Not much snow in the winter but it is different from year to year.

Bast wish to you and your family and torts you may continue to have. You never know what will happen after you settle down.

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
Oh Heather, I can only imagine how you're feeling right now. Such a big move is tough with and without torts. Big hugs!!

Elohi(Earth)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I don't know the circumstances, but I'm really bummed for you and your tortoises. I hope that you and your family are all okay and that this is what is best for all.

M

Maggie Cummings

Southern Oregon are not bad at all. It is not Washington like where Cowboy Ken lives. I have a friend who lives about an hour north of California border have very nice weather, Not much snow in the winter but it is different from year to year.

Bast wish to you and your family and torts you may continue to have. You never know what will happen after you settle down.

bouaboua... Cowboy-Ken lives about 2 hours from me in Silverton Oregon, just east of our capitol, Salem.:)

Heather, it is NOT the end of the world. Something different I know, but you can still make the best of it...Oregon: No gangbangers, little traffic, NO SALES TAX, Southern Oregon has great weather. And you could come and meet Bob, now what more could you want then meeting Bob???!
Possibly you can foster out your favorite torts and get them back when you get in a better situation. just a thought. Please keep us posted on you situation...

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
bouaboua... Cowboy-Ken lives about 2 hours from me in Silverton Oregon, just east of our capitol, Salem.:)

Heather, it is NOT the end of the world. Something different I know, but you can still make the best of it...Oregon: No gangbangers, little traffic, NO SALES TAX, Southern Oregon has great weather. And you could come and meet Bob, now what more could you want then meeting Bob???!
Possibly you can foster out your favorite torts and get them back when you get in a better situation. just a thought. Please keep us posted on you situation...

.Oregon: No gangbangers, little traffic, NO SALES TAX,...........................And to meet Bob: priceless! ! ! ! !

This is a great motivation to move.....

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Wait if we move to OR we get to meet bob? Well I guess I am moving. I would see about fostering before giving up hope.

M

Maggie Cummings

.Oregon: No gangbangers, little traffic, NO SALES TAX,...........................And to meet Bob: priceless! ! ! ! !

This is a great motivation to move.....
See? I thought so too lol haha

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
:( Maybe this is your calling to start the OTTC ?!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
It won't be as bad as you think. ... and snow is awesome! :)

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Southern Oregon is gorgeous! West of the Cascades is moist and rainier. East of the Cascades is drier, overall.
A lot of people retire to Medford, Jacksonville, and Ashland. Do you know which city in Southern Oregon you might be moving to?

I agree with dmmj, think about fostering?

We're not such bad folk up here (OK, I am Southern Washington, but we rub shoulders with Oregon)....

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Thanks everyone. It's an interesting turn of events for sure...

We are only at 99%..so there is a slight chance w will stay, but we decided to head down this new path and if the opportunity remains, we will be making the move. My husband has family there, so that would help with the transition but I'm still not sure what to expect...there are a lot of unknowns.
I have to break the news to my CTTC club on Friday. That will be hard... I've had so much fun as the VP!

I'll keep you guys posted for sure! And Levi for sure will stay with me....just need to decide what to do about the others...a juvenile male, juvenile female and 2 hatchlings temp sexed for female. (although I think 1 is male/1 is female based on tail habits and behaviors)

We've just started to tell people this news today...