Am I ready?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Also, I used this list to decide on plants. http://africantortoise.com/edible_landscaping.htm
Is says that Boston ferns are okay, and that is for sure, no doubt about it, what kind of fern I have. I bought a few of them from my the greenhouse at my school a few years ago. If you think those are not safe too, then I will take them out. I trust the experts here much more than something from another site.

I don't know enough about plants. I was under the impression that ferns were toxic.

This is a question for @Iochroma our resident plant expert.

Marizna

I read that most ferns were toxic but a few were nontoxic like Boston and asparagus ferns. I already took them out, toxic or not. I had to make room for the humid hide. :)

Heather H

N.E. ohio
I'm not using ferns. Some say yes some say no. Some things are so hard to decide on :) I planted prim rose.

Iochroma

5 Year Member
San Francisco
In spite of some positive recommendations seen on other sites, true ferns should not be in grazing animal enclosures. These primitive plants have a group of toxins that are slow poisons, so their effects won't be noticed at first.
Asparagus "ferns" are not really ferns, and are not as dangerous.
Watch out for primrose too; some are quite toxic - which kind did you plant? Can you post a picture?

Heather H

N.E. ohio
In spite of some positive recommendations seen on other sites, true ferns should not be in grazing animal enclosures. These primitive plants have a group of toxins that are slow poisons, so their effects won't be noticed at first.
Asparagus "ferns" are not really ferns, and are not as dangerous.
Watch out for primrose too; some are quite toxic - which kind did you plant? Can you post a picture?
Oh no I will get you a pic.