Am I ready?

Marizna

I've been working on getting everything I would be needing for my new baby Sulcata (I haven't gotten him yet) and I would like opinions on his setup. I'm using a 100w reptile basking bulb and one of the 18" fluorescent uvb tubes. I'll attach a picture of the setup. I'm using a 40 gallon breeder (I know that he will VERY quickly outgrow this and need something larger. I didn't buy this specifically for him, I already had it laying around and figured it would be okay until he got too big for it.) I have the top covered in a few layers of aluminum foil with small holes for the lights and uvb bulb. I got a CHE and thermostat for night. I'm using coco coir for substrate and I have a ceramic tile right under the lights for him to bask. The plants are two Boston ferns and one pothos, those are safe aren't they? All plants came from some in our house and we don't use fertilizer on them. I want to add some more substrate and may get some organic topsoil to mix in or I may just get some more coir. I want a really thick layer for the plants and for him to burrow. The cool side is at 80, and the warm side has the CHE over it too and it is at 90. The tile is 98 over most of it but a few spots of 95. Should I try to get the tile up to 100 or is 98 okay? I turned the lights on and left it running all day yesterday and checked the temps throughout the day and they didn't fluctuate more than 1 or 2 degrees. It's VERY humid in there. There's condensation on the glass, it formed right after I turned the lights on and is still there this morning. And when I put my hand in there it feels very warm and humid to me, lol. It feels like a jungle. Is there such a thing as too much humidity as long as it's warm enough? Also, I live in Georgia so as soon as he is big enough he will have an outside pen! Is this setup okay until he outgrows it? I would really like to get him today or tomorrow if it is. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423750952.264024.jpg

Jodie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Spokane Valley WA
I agree. It looks good and sounds like you're ready. Remember to post pictures of the little guy. Sounds like you have a temp gun, but nothing to read humidity? Get one of the digital thermometers that reads both. Removes all of the guess work.

Marizna

I do have a temp gun and HAD a digital thermometer that reads both but the screen broke. It was in my brazilian rainbow boa's cage and she would always knock it over or down no matter where I put it. Lol. I do plan on getting another today though. I guess I'll get my little guy today too! I'll post pictures tonight. :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Pretty nice-looking habitat for your new little sulcata baby!

Heather H

N.E. ohio
Cheers for doing your homework first. Enjoy your little one. Yes we love pics :)

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Also, I've already made a few changes. The water bowl is now deeper in the substrate.
Everything looks good Marina. I hope when you say the water bowl is deeper...you mean the lip is flush with the substrate surface. Youngsters tend to tip over super easy if they have to climb at all! Another thing...and you already know...bit that tank will last about a year or two with one animal only. Never acquire pairs. One or three are the magic numbers...and three would last less than a year in there. You also need a humid hide. The log is a nice shelter from the heat...but a humid hide will be far more beneficial to them in the long run. Good luck and keep us posted!

Marizna

Everything looks good Marina. I hope when you say the water bowl is deeper...you mean the lip is flush with the substrate surface. Youngsters tend to tip over super easy if they have to climb at all! Another thing...and you already know...bit that tank will last about a year or two with one animal only. Never acquire pairs. One or three are the magic numbers...and three would last less than a year in there. You also need a humid hide. The log is a nice shelter from the heat...but a humid hide will be far more beneficial to them in the long run. Good luck and keep us posted!

Yes, I've removed the rock out from under and pushed it alllll the way down into the substrate. Also, I don't think I would be able to keep up with the appetite of more than one tortoise lol! So I will only ever have one. Also, what would be a good thing to use as a humid hide? For my brazilian rainbow boa I use a Rubbermaid container with a hole that she can squeeze through and I have damp sphagnum moss in it. Should I use something like that, just a bigger one? And should I put it on the warm side, the cool side or somewhere in the middle?

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Yes, I've removed the rock out from under and pushed it alllll the way down into the substrate. Also, I don't think I would be able to keep up with the appetite of more than one tortoise lol! So I will only ever have one. Also, what would be a good thing to use as a humid hide? For my brazilian rainbow boa I use a Rubbermaid container with a hole that she can squeeze through and I have damp sphagnum moss in it. Should I use something like that, just a bigger one? And should I put it on the warm side, the cool side or somewhere in the middle?
A rubbermaid or Sterilite tub would be fine! just stuff it with moistened coconut bark or husk mixed with coco coir. Reptile basics sells them...but why waste the money. I would use a container half the size of a shoe box...say 8-10 cubic inches

Heather H

N.E. ohio
i used a plastic shoe box and then planted clover on the top. the top is still removable. it just seemed like wasted space so I did something with it :) enclosure 1.jpg

mine is waiting for my baby too :) has to warm up a bit before I can get him.

HLogic

5 Year Member
Florida, USA
A rubbermaid or Sterilite tub would be fine! just stuff it with moistened coconut bark or husk mixed with coco coir. Reptile basics sells them...but why waste the money. I would use a container half the size of a shoe box...say 8-10 cubic inches

Make it closer to 120 cubic inches (4 x 5 x 6 or larger)... 9 cu in is 3 x 3 x 1 - not really enough.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Looks good.

98 is perfectly fine.

The fern is toxic. I would not use that. My babies trample or eat any plant I put in there so be prepared for that.

Is your CHE on a thermostat? This would really help maintain he correct temps day and night.

They all grow at different rates, but my babies would outgrow a 40 in about 3 months. Just so you are aware of the urgency. I find that a 4x8' suits them well until its time to move outside full time at 8-10". I use the 4x8 inside and a much larger outdoor pen for sunning and exercise on nice days.

Marizna

Looks good.

98 is perfectly fine.

The fern is toxic. I would not use that. My babies trample or eat any plant I put in there so be prepared for that.

Is your CHE on a thermostat? This would really help maintain he correct temps day and night.

They all grow at different rates, but my babies would outgrow a 40 in about 3 months. Just so you are aware of the urgency. I find that a 4x8' suits them well until its time to move outside full time at 8-10". I use the 4x8 inside and a much larger outdoor pen for sunning and exercise on nice days.

CHE is on a thermostat set for 85 at night. Is that okay? Also, I used this list to decide on plants. http://africantortoise.com/edible_landscaping.htm
Is says that Boston ferns are okay, and that is for sure, no doubt about it, what kind of fern I have. I bought a few of them from my the greenhouse at my school a few years ago. If you think those are not safe too, then I will take them out. I trust the experts here much more than something from another site.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Make it closer to 120 cubic inches (4 x 5 x 6 or larger)... 9 cu in is 3 x 3 x 1 - not really enough.
The pitfalls of working the grave shift! One shouldn't give advice when their brain is in mush state! :confused: Sorry! I was referring to the footprint...wasn't even thinking about height! Thanks for the correction HL! ;)

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
My bad, it's actually set on 90. Is that too warm for night time?
90ºF is not too warm...especially for a baby! On a thermostat, temps will fluctuate 5º in either direction...so 90º is actually perfect!

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
i used a plastic shoe box and then planted clover on the top. the top is still removable. it just seemed like wasted space so I did something with it :) View attachment 118219

mine is waiting for my baby too :) has to warm up a bit before I can get him.
Again...make sure that water bowl is flush with the substrate...and lose those marbles...even a baby will shift them, and it's just another obstacle that can cause a flip!

HLogic

5 Year Member
Florida, USA
The pitfalls of working the grave shift! One shouldn't give advice when their brain is in mush state! :confused: Sorry! I was referring to the footprint...wasn't even thinking about height! Thanks for the correction HL! ;)

I had to run the calculation more than once to realize... I know the feeling!