How am I doing so far?

BowDownBowser

Location (City and/or State)
Jacksonville, Florida
Bowser will be 4 months old on may 20th so I just wanna see how you all think I'm doing. When I got him he was 2 1/4 inches SCL and 48 grams and now he's just over 3 inches and today weighs 94 grams. He lives in an enclosure maintained at now lower than 80% humidity. Normally around 85%. I mist him multiple times a day as well and also soak him for 20-30 minutes a day. He's primarily fed grass from the seed mix sold at sulcatafood.com and I also feed kale and just started feeding dandelion yesterday. Every now and then I'll throw in a little mazuri, but he doesn't seem to be a big fan. I've also recently started putting tiny cut up pieces of Bermuda grass hay and orchard grass hay to try to get him to acquire the taste so it's easier when winter comes back. His heat is usually from 79-82 on the cool side and around 88-92 on the warm side with a basking area that for some reason goes from 98-102 depending on the day. Here are some pictures. What do you all think? Does he look alright or could I improve anything? 1399942341938.jpg1399942397201.jpg1399942412253.jpg1399942423439.jpg then he said.... Okay! Okay! Enough pictures for one day 1399942440066.jpg

simiruco

5 Year Member
Mexico City
He is doing great, you are doing a great job!!!
Can you take a picture of his enclosure??? I would like to see it if you dont mind.

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
First off, there's never too many pictures! It souds like you have a good start. Are you using a night time lamp (CHE, ceramic heat emitter)? UVB or mvb (mercury vapor bulb, emits heat, light and UVB rays) bulb? Is there any calcium clsupplements? This can be given through a powder, or miner-all, through cactus and aloe Vera plants. Wen I introduced opotunia cactus, I put it in a blander. Does your little one get outside time, if so, how much? Weekly? Daily? And is there water always available?

BowDownBowser

Jacksonville, Florida
First off, there's never too many pictures! It souds like you have a good start. Are you using a night time lamp (CHE, ceramic heat emitter)? UVB or mvb (mercury vapor bulb, emits heat, light and UVB rays) bulb? Is there any calcium clsupplements? This can be given through a powder, or miner-all, through cactus and aloe Vera plants. Wen I introduced opotunia cactus, I put it in a blander. Does your little one get outside time, if so, how much? Weekly? Daily? And is there water always available?

I use a Che that's on a thermostat all day and night to maintain at least 80 I also use a uvb lamp and I use a regular incandescent flood bulb for a basking area. I supplement with miner-all and I have been feeding cactus 2-3 times a week. I try to get him outside 3-5 days a week for 1-2 hours at a time. He constantly has water available and about two weeks ago I noticed him walk in and take a drink on his own and I've seen him do it multiple times since then.

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California

BowDownBowser

Jacksonville, Florida
Sounds like you're off to a PERFECT start to you forever friend. Sorry for all of the questions, I've never seen you post here as I'm not on too often. I miss that cute little size!

Here's some great plant identification websites I use.

http://www.tlady.clara.net/TortGuide/diet.htm#plantlist

http://africantortoise.com/edible_landscaping.htm

http://m.thetortoisetable.org.uk/m/plants_19.asp
I understand the questions. I'd rather have people ask and identify if I'm doing something wrong than to keep making the same mistakes. Thanks for the input!