am i feeding enough?

Alyssa412

Location (City and/or State)
South West Florida
hey guys,

so I adopted three 15 year old Asians back in September and have been having a lot of fun with them. shortly after I last posted they definitely became comfortable in the back yard and since then it's been hard to do anything outside without my posse following behind. all three of them definitely have slightly different personalities and food preferences.

i'm worried i'm not feeding them enough, but if I feed them more often they leave stuff behind. I know they're not starving because one day they'll go nuts for melon and the next day they won't touch it. they live outside full time, so they can graze, but it's not like my yard is chock full of stuff they eat.

I feel like when I first got them, their necks and tails were really fat and now they're not as fat anymore. should they be real fat?

thanks,
alyssa

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It's pretty hard to judge the quantity, especially when they ignore a day's feed offering. I use a real scientific approach. I try to figure out how big their actual stomach is just by looking at them, then I figure out the volume of food if it were all chewed up and ingested, and that's how much I give each. If they leave some at the end of the day, I don't feed them the next day. If they eat it all up looking for more, I know I didn't give enough.

Alyssa412

South West Florida
It's pretty hard to judge the quantity, especially when they ignore a day's feed offering. I use a real scientific approach. I try to figure out how big their actual stomach is just by looking at them, then I figure out the volume of food if it were all chewed up and ingested, and that's how much I give each. If they leave some at the end of the day, I don't feed them the next day. If they eat it all up looking for more, I know I didn't give enough.

When I put a measuring tape on the ground and put them on top of it, they were all around 17 inches (give or take). what does that roughly equate to in tort tummy size?