Am I doing this right? Baby Sulcata

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheGuyOutside

5 Year Member
I have a baby Sulcata that I got from a friend. They had about 100 of them in a metal bin...very sketchy.
But I took him in, no questions asked and I started to do research.
I feed him about 2-3 times a day...unless the previous food goes uneaten.

I sprinkle some turtle vitamins on his food daily. (sulcata safe!)

I have him in a 2x4 box I built, Half Aspen, Half grass (sod) with a little corner or turnip greens that he snacks and sleeps on.

The temp under the light with the UVB bulb is around 95-105 degrees F while the cooler side of the box is around 80. At night I put a red thermal light on to outdo my AC, so the temp stays the same. I never check the humidity but I like to mist the grass and aspen daily.

I soak him in warm water up to the bottom of his shell daily in a 1x1 tub. Hes always trying to escape, its actually funny.

The first week I had him he didn't seem to mind me picking him up, now (the 2nd week) he pulls into his shell which makes a hissing like noise, and runs from me.

Hes only ever flipped him self over once, and I fixed that height problem, so I think its ok.

His shell seems a little soft, a little bit stronger than the lid on a Tupperware bowl. He eats, He poops regularly, his pee is a milky soft/solid mixture.

Im going to add some pictures, can any experts or people with sulcata's give me some advice or tips on what/when to do things? Id also like to know how old he/she is. Thanks!

Attachments

• photo(1).JPG
    photo(1).JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 67
  • photo(2).JPG
    photo(2).JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 56
  • photo(3).JPG
    photo(3).JPG
    1 MB · Views: 54
  • photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 60

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi BlazeKOG, and welcome to the Forum!!

Have you read the "Important Threads" at the top of the Sulcata section?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome. Here are my thoughts:

1. Unless you can somehow guarantee that your sod is chemical and pesticide free, and grown without the little plastic netting that they always use, I would not use it.
2. Aspen is far too dry and not meant to be sprayed with water and kept wet. Read the care sheets for better alternatives. Remember, you are trying to simulate the warm, humid African rainy season that hatchlings are born into, not the dry season that they would never experience.
3. It is just a question of time until that fixture starts a fire on that wood or fall into your enclosure. I recommend you hang it from above.
4. Daily vitamins is too much. Once or twice a week in a very small amount is plenty.
5. Calcium supplement? I like twice a week for this too, but on different days than the vitamins.
6. You didn't mention what you are feeding him. Here is a great list of sulcata foods for you:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-52677.html#axzz2ARq3m7Bd
7. I don't like colored bulbs for tortoises. THey make things look "funny" to them. A ceramic heating element will work much better. I like to set these on a thermostat at 80. This will maintain your ambient temps day and night.
8. What sort of UV bulb are you using?
9. It will be very difficult to maintain temps and humidity in an open topped enclosure like that. I recommend a closed chamber. Much easier. Much cheaper to heat. Much more stable and correct conditions.
10. Your feeding and soaking routine sounds great.
11. The fearfulness thing sounds normal. They will usually desensitize over time.
12. There is no way to know the age. Could be 3 weeks or 12 months. In the last pic it looks like he still has an egg tooth. That would make him less than 6 weeks old.
13. His shell firmness sounds about right. Good diet, calcium supplementation and daily sunshine will help with that.
14. Click the links in my signature for much more info.

TheGuyOutside

5 Year Member
They said the sod was pesticide free, and i figured it would help with the humidity, because i cant spray the aspen...because it starts to smell.
The light can be easily hung from above, thanks for that ^

The vitamins are made by Zoo Med and its a calcium supplement. Ill throw it on the food every 3rd day.

I feed him mostly dark greens, never anything that looks to light. Red baby lettuce, spinach, turnips, sage, romaine lettuce ect. If i notice hes not eating a particular kind, ill stop. I also buy "Pet grass" in a big square and cut it up...he loves that stuff. I haven't given him any berries yet, ill wait until he's older.

The red heat bulb is going in the trash, ill go to eBay and find a heating thing.

As for the bulb, its a Exo Terra Repti Glo 5.0 Tropical Lamp 26w UVA/UVB. I also have a Exo Terra Sun Glo Neodymium Terrarium Light 40w, but it doesn't put off UVB's and its extremely bright, so I haven't used it.

At night, I put a wet pillowcase over 80% of the box. I know the open thing sucks, but i had him in a 10g tank before and he'd always ram his nose trying to escape.

Thanks for the tips bro!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:) with the changes you are making, sounds like things will go good. Toms threads are at the bottom of my post. They are all great reads for raising a sulcata. Hard to tell how old yours is, but basically a hatchling .

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Welcome...I think all has been said that you need to know for now except that I noticed your baby has a dirty mouth, perhaps from eating all those greens. I would try to wipe it clean if you can. It certainly looks like a baby (1 month or so). Routine is very desirable for hatchlings...in a short time, he'll warm up to you handling him.

TortieLuver

5 Year Member
Arizona
I agree:) sulcatas are very personable and the more time you spend with your tort the less he/she will hiss or hide in their shell:) welcome to the forum:) do you have a name for your baby sully yet?

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Hello and welcome. I must say being a sulcata owner myself. It is really important to read toms threads. They are also. Some below my signature. There are lots of helpful hints. The key right now is keeping your baby humid, warm, plenty of natural sunlight, lots of greens, calcium. Please do yourself and your little one a favor and do some reading. And ask us any questions you may have....:)

TheGuyOutside

5 Year Member
His/Her name is Fitzgerald! And I clean him with q tips dipped in warm water....he hates it. I just bought that ceramic heat thing, a heated rock, and some forest moss to replace the sod..I heard its good for keeping the humidity up.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
No need to clean him.

Don't use the hot rock. Those didn't work well in 1976, and they still don't.

The moss should be fine.

TheGuyOutside

5 Year Member
Tom said:
No need to clean him.

Don't use the hot rock. Those didn't work well in 1976, and they still don't.

The moss should be fine.
Well the rock isn't in place of anything, its just to keep the temp a little warmer and maybe for him to scratch at. It only cost me 5 bucks, and its pretty small. :tort:

Also is it ok to have the ceramic heat emitter and the uvb light on at the same time? Its getting cold in Florida, and I need the extra light to keep him above 90.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
I use the ceramic heat emitter (che) and the uvb light at the same time, but at different parts of the enclosure. During the day, if I cannot take my torts outside for warm sunshine, I use the uvb light all day. If it's cold and my inside house temp is 70 or below, I use the Che as well. When all lights go out, I will keep the Che on during the night. Again, read Tom's threads for proper temps in an enclosure.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Those hot rocks are notorious for malfunctioning and overheating. Sometimes to the point of smoldering and starting fires. I have personally had it happen more than once in years past. I recommend you not use it because they are dangerous, not just ineffective.

If you put the CHE on its own thermostat it will just come on and off on its own and maintain the correct temperature day or night. The light should be on a timer so it turns on land off at the same time everyday, or with gradual seasonal variations if you wish. If the basking bulb is set at the correct height, it will give you the correct temp when it is on. If the rest of the enclosure is still not warm enough, then your CHE will kick on an take care of that. When your light kicks off for the day, the CHE on its thermostat will continue to maintain the correct ambient temps for you, so your tortoise doesn't get a chill at night.

TheGuyOutside

5 Year Member
Updates >> 9th week with me. Everything is going good. He appears to be happier, he lets me hand feed him now and he doesn't try to escape bath time too much! I got the heat just right, I'm misting the cage 2-3 times a day. Hes eating a lot more, but still not a lot of growth. I try to play with him for 10-20 minutes daily.

Attachments

• fitz1.bmp
    918.2 KB · Views: 20
  • fitz2.bmp
    977.4 KB · Views: 17
Status
Not open for further replies.