Am I being cruel?

creygout

I was given 2 Herman tortoises over a year ago and have completely fallen in love with them, however I went to a reptile shop the other day and was told it is cruel to keep them together and that my enclosure wasn't suitable. I have a large plastic enclosure with a metal lid. If I am being cruel I will make changed but wanted more advice on the issue. Thankyou in advance

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cruel is harsh word . But yes keeping two Tortoises in the same enclosure is a bad idea . If you don't have the room and time to get your Tortoises setup right I would adopt them out .

G-stars

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I wouldn't use the word cruel per se. However yes it's less than ideal to house a pair of tortoises together especially in tight proximities. I would separate them and make sure each one has a good sized enclosure.

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
You are not being cruel. That's a pretty bold statement. Hermann's tortoises of either sex are perfectly capable of living together it's just that in nature it's not just two of them. They are in colonies, sometimes very large. Both sexes fight from time to time. This is HEALTHY and 100% normal but, problems such as injury can arise. While it's not recommended that only two are kept together, you certainly aren't being cruel. Take it from us here on this forum who actually know a thing or two about these animals and not a "shop".
You should have a second enclosure on hand and be ready to separate if a major fight ensues. Here, we always allow our tortoises to fight things out especially males. It's mentally stimulating and natural for them. However, we supervise and make sure no one gets seriously injured. If you can't be with them all the time or at least a major portion of the time when they reach sexual maturity, then you may want to separate them into 2 separate enclosures.
This goes for females too although they usually only battle when they are carrying eggs and nearing nesting time.
They're wild animals and will never be anything else even in our care, so natural behavior will be exhibited. It's important that we allow them to behave in these ways but we also have to protect them.

Hope this helps.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
All good info, however, no one has addressed the "...large plastic enclosure with a metal lid..." issue. In my opinion, when weather is good, tortoises - all tortoises - need to be set up outside. You would be surprised at what it does for their mental well-being to actually live in the sun, with growing grass and weeds and room to wander.

When weather isn't good enough for them to live outside, then a large plastic enclosure is fine, however, two plastic tubs put together to make a big one is much better. People don't realize how much room tortoises actually need. In the wild they roam for miles, wandering and eating, and just wandering.

So, yes, make two enclosures and separate them, and give each of them the biggest enclosure you have room for....or put them outside.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
All good info, however, no one has addressed the "...large plastic enclosure with a metal lid..." issue.

I noticed this too…

creygout, What size enclosure is it? How are you heating and lighting it? Are you using any UV indoors? Do they ever get outside for sun, grazing and exercise? Do you mean a screen top, or are we talking about solid metal?

More info please. A pic of the enclosure would help us to help you too.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
You are not being cruel. That's a pretty bold statement. Hermann's tortoises of either sex are perfectly capable of living together it's just that in nature it's not just two of them. They are in colonies, sometimes very large. Both sexes fight from time to time. This is HEALTHY and 100% normal but, problems such as injury can arise. While it's not recommended that only two are kept together, you certainly aren't being cruel. Take it from us here on this forum who actually know a thing or two about these animals and not a "shop".
You should have a second enclosure on hand and be ready to separate if a major fight ensues. Here, we always allow our tortoises to fight things out especially males. It's mentally stimulating and natural for them. However, we supervise and make sure no one gets seriously injured. If you can't be with them all the time or at least a major portion of the time when they reach sexual maturity, then you may want to separate them into 2 separate enclosures.
This goes for females too although they usually only battle when they are carrying eggs and nearing nesting time.
They're wild animals and will never be anything else even in our care, so natural behavior will be exhibited. It's important that we allow them to behave in these ways but we also have to protect them.

Hope this helps.
All good information here. I just wand to add, some species are very aggressive, territorial and unbelievably tenacious..therefore, here all males are not housed together and do not encounter one another, for their own safety. Here however no breeding goes on, so there is no viable reason to subject them directly to one another...