Am i being an over concerned mother

SuperSue

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK
IMG_0169.jpg IMG_0169.jpgIMG_0169.jpgIMG_0169.jpg

Am i being over worried, Johnny is 7 turning 8, noticed this morning his eyes seem swollen and he has flakey skin on his face. Eats ok but not alot never never touches calcium, bathed every other day and sprayed other day.
He is spending a lot of time in dark corners too.added a few pics last one below is how he usually looks, will need to zoom in.
IMG_0169.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

SuperSue

5 Year Member
UK
IMG_0982.jpgIMG_0978.JPG
pics repeated on main post so here are some others and how he usually looks, ( finger crossed they post right this time.
IMG_0074.jpg

SuperSue

5 Year Member
UK
Team Gomberg'
I can't tell what you are referring to.
[quote/supersue]
His bulging eye lids

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
What kind of uvb lamp are you using ? Is not one of the coil type if so that is your problem.

SuperSue

5 Year Member
UK
I was wondering about the light, bought a 150watt combi Arcadia t5
(not coil) he seems to shy away from it, i took the metal shade off it to spread the light, i think it maybe to strong. He is always going off into a dark corner too, which make me think it is the bulb.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
It maybe to much lamp for him . The uv light is just like welding flash burn . But your tortoise does not have a welding hood . I would use a tube t5 and a che on a thermostat and some household 40/60 watt lamps for basking and ambient temperatures for day time.

SuperSue

5 Year Member
UK
Thanks mike i have a uv tube also which i use when i turn the combi off, think it maybe to high though as about 22 inches above them.
I used to use a normal house spot of 100 watt until others on Facebook said i needed a combi!! (I think this is the problem it has only started since the new combi come to think of it :-/
I use an open 4 x 2 viv with free access, they troll around the house & go back in when they want, they inside most of the time as UK temps terrible.
Sorry for the ignorance but what is a CHE;
I have always used a heat met for nights and winter, 'do not panic' it is under the wooden viva bottom so just gives a warmth to the area, they do like it as burrow down to get closer to the warmth :)
IMG_0509.jpg

lkwagner

5 Year Member
A CHE gives off heat but no light (ceramic heat emitter).
But for an 8 year old tortoise that enclosure is wayyy too small.

SuperSue

5 Year Member
UK
they also have an outside pen its winter here an i and him love to be indoors, he is slow growing weighed 1505grams 6 weeks ago, i will measure him later he is about 8 inches. He has free access, using house for eating sleeping and warming-up rest of the time he is usually trolling round the house. IMG_0349.jpgIMG_0341.jpgIMG_0489.JPG

SuperSue said:
they also have an outside pen its winter here an i and him love to be indoors, he is slow growing weighed 1505grams 6 weeks ago, i will measure him later he is about 8 inches. He has free access, using house for eating sleeping and warming-up rest of the time he is usually trolling round the house or under the curtain, then goes back in his house when he wants too.