Aloe Vera alternative?

Rsek

Location (City and/or State)
London, UK
My tortoise is OBSESSED with aloe Vera, but I am well aware it should be fed in moderation, can anyone suggest a like alternative to feed and not worry about so much? He seems to love the juice and will choose aloe over EVERYTHING including flowers, fresh weeds etc. I don't want to exclude it as he loves it, but I'm concerned that it will upset his digestion. Advice appreciated!

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
My tortoise is OBSESSED with aloe Vera, but I am well aware it should be fed in moderation, can anyone suggest a like alternative to feed and not worry about so much? He seems to love the juice and will choose aloe over EVERYTHING including flowers, fresh weeds etc. I don't want to exclude it as he loves it, but I'm concerned that it will upset his digestion. Advice appreciated!

If you have access... maybe some Opuntia spineless cactus pads. Often available at international food markets.

You COULD hold back on the aloe... and just make it an occasional treat. Tough love..

Good luck.

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
Th cactus pads are great! My torts got some fresh-outta-the-yard this morning.. loved it. Beware... it’s not really spineless:oops:

Rsek

London, UK
I saw a cactus pear plant online (I was looking for alternatives before I asked) is that the same thing? I'm pretty sure he's just trying his luck a bit because he was not really fed fresh food before he came to live with me, so I don't want to stop him, but I would rather something similar which is less likely to upset his stomach (I'd like to add, it doesn't seem to be right now, but I am aware it's not advisable)

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
I saw a cactus pear plant online (I was looking for alternatives before I asked) is that the same thing? I'm pretty sure he's just trying his luck a bit because he was not really fed fresh food before he came to live with me, so I don't want to stop him, but I would rather something similar which is less likely to upset his stomach (I'd like to add, it doesn't seem to be right now, but I am aware it's not advisable)
Did it say prickly pear? Probably the same but screen shot it to be safe.. I was going to order as well but I wasn’t sure how long it would stay good and 7lbs is way more than my little guys could eat anytime soon!

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Cactus should also be fed in moderation; it’s a great food but it can have the same effects as too much aloe.

I know it’s hard but I suggest cutting back. He’s not buying the aloe, you know? :)

You’re giving him access to other good foods and I promise you, he won’t let himself starve. He can go far longer without eating than you and I but he will eventually get hungry and eat.

Keeping using juice for now; mix it into all the other foods well; he’ll eat some small bits of them along with the aloe and get to know they’re good over time. You keep lowering the amount of juice until he’s weaned. Then he can have it occasionally but not all the time.

It won’t be easy; tortoises are much more stubborn than us. But he will eat! Stay strong!