Aloe is ok?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tyguy35

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
ontario
Aloe Vera is ok for for leos right to plant in enclosure?

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
Mine eat it readily without noticeable issue.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I have aloe planted in all my enclosures. They only eat at it when there isn't much other food growing. Never had any issues with runny stools or signs of diarrhea.

DixieParadise

5 Year Member
Georgetown, TX
I have it in with my RF's and every once in awhile, I will see one of them chewing on it..but nothing drastic. They seem to do ok with it.

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Blackburn, U.K.
I bought an aloe for Tiago he did not make a fuss....he ate it like the rest of his food...ive' never had a runny stool problem either...when i spotpick?

Greg T

10 Year Member!
League City, TX
I had a bunch of aloe growing in the yard and they would stop by occasionally and eat some with no issues. Unfortunately the last winter freeze finally did it all in and this drought hasn't allowed it to grow back yet. Not a problem for them to eat it.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Mine don't touch it, probably because there is better foods around that they enjoy, I am sure if they were really hungry they would devourer it...

pi01

5 Year Member
South Carolina
My yearling eats it. Shows up on the rotation about once a week. I dice it like a onion and sprinkle with powedered Timothy hay. I like it because of the stickiness/wetness the hay sticks and is a great way to introduce hay into his diet. Something he will not eat on its own.

chase thorn

10 Year Member!
Colorado Springs, CO
my torts don't like aloe at all. I'm not sure why, but they will not touch it! i personally do not believe the runny stool thing, i just have read some that it CAN

pandacakes

5 Year Member
Oregon
My little guy LOVES aloe. He likes to chew on my agave plants too, but aloe is by far his favorite of the two.

EKLC

5 Year Member
My lep took a bite of aloe and spit it out and made a face. Same for agave. Opuntia he loves more than life itself, eating what he can muster, and falling asleep on the rest

pi01

5 Year Member
South Carolina
How did you prepare the agave? I thought the leaves of this plant were very tough and never considered feeding it to a leo.

EKLC

5 Year Member
pi01 said:
How did you prepare the agave? I thought the leaves of this plant were very tough and never considered feeding it to a leo.

I had some growing wild, so just let him take a bite. It was tender new growth, so not fibrous and he was able to snap off a piece (which he quickly spat out)

Status
Not open for further replies.