Aldabras

BILBO-03

Are Aldabras good pets I wanted one but they were really expensive but I found one today for 500$ and I can afford that

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Be very careful with buying one that cheap. Most likely it's a scammer. Hatchlings go for 1500-2000 and the price goes up as they grow. Don't get scammed.
They are not as cold hardy as a sulcata. They get much larger. @ALDABRAMAN can fill in the rest.

BILBO-03

So if he had a heated night shed would he be ok in the snow or not

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
So if he had a heated night shed would he be ok in the snow or not
I do know that they need a lot of heat and humidity. You could make a shed warm enough for them but do you really want them shut up in a shed for weeks or months at a time? Where do you live?

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
You change your mind about breeding Sulcata's?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
They need a big heated shed. There are some that live in the colder states. It can be done and done correctly.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
They are really cool. Admire them through Aldabramans threads. He has 11 adults maybe 12 now and a few younger ones and almost always hatchlings.
I think you should do more research about all the different tortoises. Read the caresheets and figure out what you really want to have and do. Breeding size aldabras are thousands of dollars and impossible to find. Sulcatas are just about a dime a dozen, even at adult size. Sulcatas can and have gone out into the snow in winter, as long as they have a heated shed to go back to and warm up. Not sure if aldabras could handle it that cold. Then there is the largest tort of all. The Galapagos tortoise that looks similar to the Aldabra. They are a little hardier then the Aldabra and cost about the same or more.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
I love aldabrans too, but went with the Redfooted species for practical reasons. If you live in subtropics like Florida where it's very warm and very humid all year and have a VERY big yard to keep an adult giant tortoise, then do what your heart desires. If you can't create nearly perfect environment for the tortoise, will you be able to afford medical care when it starts getting sick with RI's or bladder stones? Of if the tort lives to be adult and gets sick, will you have the money to get the gigantic tort to a reptile vet? Or reptile vet to you? Those would be the first things popping in my mind to put breaks on impulse driven purchase of a new pet. Sorry, I hate to be a wet blanket. If you have all that already under control, dig little deeper and research that farm that breeds them to find out what it is that allows them to keep the cost so low just in case it is some corner-cutting stuff that the animal will suffer the consequences of in long term

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
What kind of experience do you have with torts?

GingerLove

5 Year Member
I'm not sure if getting an aldabra and putting it where it gets super cold is the best idea. :( I think they need tropical climates. However, I too want an aldabra, but I would recommend getting a more expensive aldabra from a reputable buyer.

BILBO-03

Ok I emailed him to send me a video of the tort and some more pics but I am afraid it is a scam:(