Aldabra OR Galápagos TORTOISES!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

spikethebest

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Hello!!!

As some of you already know, i am a huge tortoise guy. I have a lot of tortoises, but i am always looking to expand and diversify my family.

Does anyone know where i can get an Aldabra or Galápagos tortoise at a reasonable price?? if you can provide me a lead to adopting or trading for one, when I breed them, I will give you a free hatchling.

i do know about kingsnake and i have met Jeff Gee in person, and he said he would help me get the proper permits. He's such a nice and informative guy.

Thank you!!
Cory

Aldabra Tortoise!
aldabra-tortoise.jpg

Galápagos Tortoise
galapagos_tortoise.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Tatooineboy

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Good luck with the search :) Please keep us informed of your progress.

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
If you get a Galapagos then the fun starts. Which subspecie, which island, did your daddy know Charles Darwin,ect.

spikethebest

10 Year Member!
Southern California
thank you!!

i will take any subspecies, from any island, and no one in my family knows charles darwin. where did you get that crazy idea from????

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
i think he meant the tortoise!

Tatooineboy

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
There is a tortoise rescue/retreat called Charles Darwin somewhere here in the United States. They deal almost exclusively with Galap. Tortoises.

Tatooineboy

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Not off-hand. Just do an internet search for Charles Darwin Center with tortoises. Something should come up.

spikethebest

10 Year Member!
Southern California
i searched and i just found the one in the galapagos islands. i knew of that one, and in order to work there or volunteer there there are very strict requirements.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
byrdman1971 said:
This Ad went up yesterday. She Emailed me with more info: Galapagos Tortoise, Male, 250 Lbs, 49 Years old, healthy.

http://fresno.kijiji.com/c-Pets-Other-turtle-W0QQAdIdZ44839784

This person obviously doesn't know what her tortoise is worth. A 49 year old galop for only $500? And she's right here in my city. Wonder why I've never heard of her. If anyone can afford this price, its a heck of a deal (that is, if the tortoise is healthy). Too bad there wasn't a picture with the ad. Be interesting to see if it really is a galop.

Yvonne

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
byrdman1971 said:
This Ad went up yesterday. She Emailed me with more info: Galapagos Tortoise, Male, 250 Lbs, 49 Years old, healthy.

I've been emailing back and forth with this person. She's a young woman here in my city who inherited the tortoise from her father when he died. I haven't seen the tortoise yet, but would really be surprised if it is a Galap. She is unaware there is the necessity of a permit for transporting the animal. Is unaware they are endangered. Unaware that hatchlings sell for $1500. I asked her if she has a picture and she has not sent me one yet, but I'd be willing to bet its a Sulcata and not anywhere near 250lbs. Because a 49 year old galap would weigh more that 250. I'll keep you all posted.

Yvonne

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Laura said:
Can you go by her house and see it in person? Is she inviting to that?
I bet you are right....

I'd love to, but since I told her that Galops are very rare in private collections and I thought what she has might possible be something other than a Galop, she won't respond back to me. She sounded like someone who knows absolutely nothing about turtles and tortoises. I do have to give her credit for asking me a lot of question, though. She didn't want her tortoise to go to someone who didn't know how to take care of it. Too bad I can't get her to respond. If its a sulcata she MIGHT get that price for a really large one (you know how us sulcata keepers tend to inflate the poundage!!), but if its a Galap, its worth way more than $500. Even if 250lbs for almost 50years old is on the light side.

Yvonne

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
There is an Aldabra on Phoenix craigslist.

byrdman1971

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
byrdman1971 said:

Sorry guys. Please disegard this post. I checked is out and it is not a Galapagos, for that matter it's not even a tortoise. It turns out this was a 13 year old girl's idea of a joke. Not very bright though, she gave out her next door neighbor's address. When there was no answer, I started talking to the guy next door who turned out to be this girl's grandfather. I was pretty pissed.
I reported all her ADs as bobus and they have been taken down.

spikethebest

10 Year Member!
Southern California
byrdman1971 said:
byrdman1971 said:

Sorry guys. Please disegard this post. I checked is out and it is not a Galapagos, for that matter it's not even a tortoise. It turns out this was a 13 year old girl's idea of a joke. Not very bright though, she gave out her next door neighbor's address. When there was no answer, I started talking to the guy next door who turned out to be this girl's grandfather. I was pretty pissed.
I reported all her ADs as bobus and they have been taken down.

thank you all for your help.

if anyone finds any other ads, please let me know. i am still very interested in find one at a reasonable price. I don’t have $10,000 for one right now.

i have a huge backyard to for the tortoise to live in.

i have 30 tortoises now, with 20 years experience, as well as my affiliation with non-profit rescue groups make me an ideal candidate for a very rare tortoise.

thank you all!
Cory

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
There is a person here on this forum who has Aldabran tortoises. He was selling them in the past, but I don't know if he has any left. I don't know if he wants to remain incognito, but his username here on the forum is "EJ"

Yvonne

spikethebest

10 Year Member!
Southern California
thank you for that info, i have emailed that member.

How are your Aldabras doing? Anyway I could come up to Fresno and check them out one day?

Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.