UN withdraws Galápagos from world heritage danger list

Status
Not open for further replies.

spikethebest

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/jul/29/galapagos-withdrawn-heritage-danger-list

Galapagos-turtle-006.jpg

The UN has withdrawn the Galápagos Islands from its world heritage danger list, citing improved efforts by Ecuador to protect the archipelago's unique biodiversity.

The world heritage committee of the United Nations Education, Scientific and Cultural Organisation (Unesco) voted 15 to four to remove the islands from the list of sites endangered by environmental threats or overuse.

"It's important to recognise the effort made by the Ecuadorean government to preserve this heritage," said Luiz Fernando de Almeida, head of the Brazilian delegation, which proposed the motion at the meeting in Brasilia.

Ecuador's government will welcome the decision, which reversed Unesco's listing in 2007, but some conservationists expressed alarm.

President Rafael Correa's administration had tackled serious problems in the archipelago but it was too soon to declare victory, said Johannah Barry, head of Galápagos Conservancy, a Virginia-based research group.

"The growing human presence in Galápagos, both through tourism and residents, has put biodiversity at risk. Introduction of disease, alien and invasive plants and animals are all factors which must be addressed immediately and aggressively. I believe the decision is premature and I hope it does not signal a relaxation of vigilant management and conservation efforts."

The chain of volcanic islands 600 miles off Ecuador's Pacific coast are home to endogenous species, such as giant tortoises and boobies, which helped inspire Charles Darwin's theories on evolution and natural selection.

A permanent human population which doubled to about 30,000 in the past decade, swollen by more than 190,000 tourists annually, triggered concern about pollution, fuel spills and poaching.

Human settlers have also brought invasive species such as insects, cats, rats, cattle and fire ants threatening a habitat which evolved in isolation over millennia.

Ecuador's government has tried to balance conservation and tourism with the demands of residents and migrant workers from mainland South America. Authorities have tried to cap the number of new arrivals and deported illegal migrants. Nevertheless rubbish dumps and new housing developments continue to sprout on some islands.

A Unesco team recently inspected the archipelago. The panel listened to Ecuador's environment minister, Marcela Aguinaga, before voting. She said controls on migration and the introduction of invasive species had been tightened.

The same meeting added Uganda's tombs of Buganda kings at Kasubi (Uganda) to the list of endangered sites. Unesco's complete and amended list of heritage sites was published today

The list allows the UN to allocate immediate assistance to sites from the World Heritage fund and puts pressure on local authorities to act.

RichardS

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Charleston, SC
This may not be good news. The last thing that island need is more tourists !

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I wonder when the UN says something or makes rules, are we bound to follow them? or are they like guidelinnes?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Well If i was the goverment in control of these islands I would run it as a business, collect all the eggs, incubate them and then sell like 10 % of the hatched eggs to people who want them, and then release the rest into the wild, maybe head start 10 or 20 % and guard them with armed guards. Problem solved more tortoises, more money for the goverment and more tortoises into the pet trade population, eventually meaning lower prices for the tortoises for sale to.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Sold to approved homes only.. money means nothing...so i can dream cant I?!

but I Do want to be a tourist there someday....would love to see the place...

elegans

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
As awesome as Galops are I have had the opprotunity to buy them more than a few times, living here in South Florida. I still have chosen not to. They are a huge responsibility even if you live in the tropics, or nearly so. I would love to see more of them produced, but can assure you that it would be difficult to sell / place more than 20 to 25 a year in really suitable homes. Sure more people would buy them than that number, but I would shudder to think what their life after more than 5 years would be like. Sulcatta problem all over again. We will see this in the not distant future with Aldabras, as they are far easier to breed.

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
So that means I can't go to the Galapagos in August 2011? :( Darn, I really wanted to do some field research with Galapago torts. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.