KieranMcKeown

Location (City and/or State)
Northern Ireland
Hey all!

Just thought I'd give you all an update on my little Alaska since you all gave me some great advice.

So I bought her a new, higher watt bulb and it worked magic! Within the first 5 mins of turning it on Alaska opened her eyes by herself and started walking around and eating some food before basking for a while.

Her eyes seem to still irritate her as she constantly rubs them with her legs - but I think this is down to the substrate which will be getting changed in the next few days.

So my worrying is now over and I think she is far happier with life, by Saturday, everythimg should be fine.

I would like to give a special thanks to Yvonne and Drew who really helped me out a lot, and the others who gave there opinion in my introduction thread.

As promised - here is Alaska. In one pic she is enjoying some kale and a special treat of a strawberry. In the other, she is appreciating her new heat and light source ♥️✌️IMG-20181128-WA0019.jpeg IMG-20181128-WA0017.jpeg

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
I sure hope you are going to change out that substrate. It can be very dangerous because torts will see those white spots and try to eat them. And the substrate is really dry.

drew54

Indiana
Hey all!

Just thought I'd give you all an update on my little Alaska since you all gave me some great advice.

So I bought her a new, higher watt bulb and it worked magic! Within the first 5 mins of turning it on Alaska opened her eyes by herself and started walking around and eating some food before basking for a while.

Her eyes seem to still irritate her as she constantly rubs them with her legs - but I think this is down to the substrate which will be getting changed in the next few days.

So my worrying is now over and I think she is far happier with life, by Saturday, everythimg should be fine.

I would like to give a special thanks to Yvonne and Drew who really helped me out a lot, and the others who gave there opinion in my introduction thread.

As promised - here is Alaska. In one pic she is enjoying some kale and a special treat of a strawberry. In the other, she is appreciating her new heat and light source [emoji813]️[emoji111]️View attachment 258386 View attachment 258385

When you change out the substrate pour a glass or two of warm water and mix it in the new substrate by hand. Get it all evenly damp. This will help with humidity. Alaska looks very comfortable and relaxed eating! You're are definitely getting there and making things better for your tort. Keep us updated on progress with both enclosure and tort and keep the pics coming!