Aggressive tortoises?

waretrop

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NE Pa. Zone 5
I have Little Alice. She came to me 2 and half years ago. She is now 55 pounds at 7 and half years. We have taken our time getting used to each other and have a very good relationship. Sounds silly but she really understands English words and sometimes listens...Last summer our friend wanted us to take their 15 year old male.That was a big mistake. They said he never never did this before but as soon as we let him go in Little Alice's grass area he began to chase some guys. By the next day we couldn't even get into their greenhouse to feed them. All he wanted to do was "breed" with my poor little innocent Alice. I could only handle it for a week. I tried all different kind of things. If he saw me by the door he began to head toward me...The old owners said he never acted like that with them. I almost can't believe it. They also didn't want him back and I discouraged them from doing that. That animal needed to be bred with someone who was willing...

Also, Plan on spending money on housing, food and electric. If you feel you can do that , enjoy your new pet. Grow with him. Your greenhouse must have a good foundation or it will escape. I have wood screwed into the metal frame and I believe she could dig through it and escape. I just watch her carefully. I have shown this pic before but this is what Alice did in a few hours. This ramp takes both my hubby and myself to move it. Now it is screwed in...
alice condo6.jpg

This next pic is a hole Alice made in my wall. I didn't care for there is brick on the other side of it. It just shows you what they can do in a day or so.
20160404_175936.jpg

Go back up and look at the grass area. We have white metal shelves on the inside alone the fence and board on the sidewall so she can't see out. The shelf will stop her from digging out which she could so in a few hours...So if your greenhouse is dirt, you will have to do something with the floor so it doesn't dig out. Also that is a very large area to heat for a sully. I have 2 greenhouses and live in Pa. That's a whole story by itself. Also you must have back up heat source and maybe a generator. I have 3 heat sources and 2 generators. If you get a smaller one new or used you will have time to get your act together...

If you decide, stay committed....It is rewarding. I love Little Alice.

Last edited: