Age?

Status
Not open for further replies.

abra

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Mass
I'm just wondering how you can tell Russian Tortoise's age? I just got my baby from Petco and I was wondering how old he is :) Here are some pictures, if you can't tell from them I'll post more using my actual camera (I used my cell). And if those don't work can you just tell me how? THANKS! :D

Image11.jpg

Image10.jpg

Image9.jpg

His cute little face :)

Image8.jpg

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
when did you take those pic you should get rid of the pellets an get some cypress mulch

moswen

5 Year Member
i agree with coreyc-- get rid of those pellets!! i feel like i'm just following you around from post to post today abra lol!

it's hard to tell how old a tortoise is, yours looks like a juvenile at least, possably young adult... but how old he is in years is pretty much impossible without records... unless there's a way that i don't know about.

the problem is all torts grow at different rates, this can be due to genetics, how it's fed, where it's housed... there are so many variables. if you could give his scl and weight we may be able to tell you if he's a mature adult or not. they start packing on the lbs when they're about done growing, just like us. skinny little teenagers turn into daddy's beer guts and mamma thighs when we're parents.

abra

5 Year Member
Mass
I am getting rid of the pellets this week :) That's just what came with the set that I got for wicked cheap haha, I'm going shopping for him sometime this week so he'll have cypress mulch/coconut coir mix for his substrate soon!

Haha, I've been posting a lot today cause I'm bored :) So thanks for the answers! Whats scl? Length?

moswen

5 Year Member
it's okay, i love to be of assistence! i posted like a maniac back in april when i first joined!

good to know you're going to get the substrate changed, i'm also a sucker for a bargain!

SCL stands for straight carapace length, as in set your tortoise down by a ruler and whatever he measures from one end of his shell to the other is what we call the "length" of the torotise. we don't go from front to back with a tape measurer over the top of the tortoise, because that's not an accurate measurement of his length. so you'll see a lot of "(blank) inches scl" when ppl talk about length.

abra

5 Year Member
Mass
Okay I'll measure him in a bit, I just have to find a ruler haha :) I'm so happy with him! He hasn't done much since I got him but today he has literally come out of his shell :D

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
He looks good, very hard to pin point an age based on growth.

abra

5 Year Member
Mass
He's 4 1/4 inches, I don't have a scale so I can't weigh him though :/

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
He is most likely between 3 and 6 years old. That is as far as anyone can really narrow it down. He is also definitely wild caught.

Are you positive he is a "he?"

abra

5 Year Member
Mass
So I think he's a juvenile?

Yes, his tail is always off to the side if you want I can post a picture?

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
My females carry their tails to the side. There is more to it than just that - tail length, anal scutes, and whether there is a hook on the end of the tail. Post a pic and we can remove all doubt :)

Juvenile if female, young adult if male, at that size. It has nothing to do with age - sexual maturity comes with size.

abra

5 Year Member
Mass
Okay! I'll post some pictures in a new thread in a second :)

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
If you post a picture from behind and underneath, we'd be glad to sex him for you. Girls can hold their tails to the side too, but the boys tails are much longer and come to a point at the end. Your tort might still grow a tad (I see white between the scutes, which is where the shell expands).

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
Looks like a juvenile still. Russian torts average at around 5-8", so yours still has a bit of growing to do.

I agree with GBtortoises. Russians are only active 3-6 months in the wild, and in such climates where they live food is scarce and the weather is pretty cold for a tortoise. CB (captive bred) animals always grow faster than their wild counterparts.

Status
Not open for further replies.