Age?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bllauben

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Marine City, Michigan
I've had Boris and Sonya since Janurary, 6 months after my dad bought them from Petco and Petsmart (repectively). I just did the old push-em up against the wall and measure them trick. Boris is 4.5 inches and Sonya is 5 inches. Boris does not seem to be growing much. Sonya has grown by at least a half inch since I got her (she was a bit smaller than Boris when I got her).

Given that info, is there a way to tell how old they are (estimation)?

This picture was taken last week. Yes, the enclosure is a mess. Sonya likes to over turn the saucers and Boris likes to drag his food all over the place. The cat did not do it (this time, anyways).
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=5467435&l=2513c4ae33&id=662244295

This is a month after I got them.
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=5509609&l=ea002a6f78&id=662244295

Thanks!
--Beth

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
No way to tell, growth rates are not defintive. Many factors contribute, food source and amount, sunshine, and other natural factors. I have seen aldabra hatchlings from the same clutch grow at different rates and have all the same factors.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
growth in WC russians is hard to estimate, if they get more food in a year they tend to grow faster and if they get less food in a year they will naturally grow slower. I will say this males stay smaller so they tend to grow slower than females who can get much bigger males stay around like 4 to 6 inches and females can get up to 10 inches. I have 3 russians all WC and I personally don't worry about their age, they are healthy and they are happy and so for me that is what is important.

bllauben

5 Year Member
Marine City, Michigan
Thanks! I agree that all that matters is that they are healthy and happy, which mine are. My parents are happy that I agreed to take them in. My teenage sister, who is a great person, got bored with them and their care went down hill. Since adopting them, their living conditions are night and day. They are also more socialized. Sonya is actually allowing me to hold her without a fight!

I guess I am going to pick a day in Janurary, probably the 5th (approximately the day I adopted them), as a day to celebrate their "birthday." They will get a present or two and may be a few snacks.

Status
Not open for further replies.