Age and sexual maturity

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
As many of you know, age is a question tortoise keepers are asked a lot. Since I'm always at a loss in answering this question, I'm turning to my forum experts. I was wondering whether, with a rough estimate of sexual maturity, a general idea of Steve's age can be estimated? I've been keeping Steve since 2009, and he was basically fully grown at that point. From observation, I can say with certainty that he reached sexual maturity around 2014–'16. (And yes, Steve is a male Central Asian tortoise.) Does anyone have an idea of about how old he might be?

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
I would guess probably hatched around y2k at the latest? Keep in mind a lot of Russian torts were/are crated up and shipped over here under horrible conditions so it's plausible (in my mind) that he took a few years to feel acclimated and healthy enough to be interested in mating. All that to say, I wouldn't put too much confidence in his maturity date personally.

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
All that to say, I wouldn't put too much confidence in his maturity date personally.
That's what I've been reading, but it was pretty much all I had to go by. Thanks!

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
It's so hard to approximate age with reptiles. Let alone reptiles that live this long and tolerate such adverse conditions