African Sulcata swallowed kite string

Bevvydoll

Location (City and/or State)
Phoenix Arizona
My kids left out their kite and the tortoise got ahold of the string and swallowed an unknown amount. Can he pass it safely? What should I look for in his behavior good or bad? Does he need to go to the vet urgently? I soaked him, and he released urates. He sort of picked at his food but didn’t eat much and walked off. B45D2498-8BD1-4AEE-827F-4177062FBFCB.jpeg

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Wow. Hopefully it wasn't toooo long. Hopefully it just passes out and doesn't get caught in the digestive system. I would feed plenty of cactus pads & an aloe stalk or two & soak extra long if you can every day. Hopefully this all comes out in the end.

Monitor the output closely.

Good luck

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My kids left out their kite and the tortoise got ahold of the string and swallowed an unknown amount. Can he pass it safely? What should I look for in his behavior good or bad? Does he need to go to the vet urgently? I soaked him, and he released urates. He sort of picked at his food but didn’t eat much and walked off. View attachment 321165
Watch for changes in behavior or appetite. Feed high fiber foods and also spineless opuntia. The fiber may help push it through and the opuntia offers lubrication properties.

Your case demonstrates, yet again, why tortoises shouldn't be roaming loose in the yard.