African Hibiscus

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
A friend gave me some seeds 10 years ago, and I've been planting and growing this ever since. There seems to be a lot of confusion surrounding this species and other hibiscus. I thought I'd share what I've learned in an effort to clear some of the confusion, and sing its praises.

• First and foremost, this is a truly FANTASTIC tortoise food. Its one of the few plants that I know of that almost any tortoise will just walk up and eat the first time its sees it, with no introduction. All of my tortoises absolutely love it. All species and all ages. They will eat it over anything else.
  • The scientific name, I think, is Hibiscus sabdariffa. Totally different than "regular" or "tropical" hibiscus which is Hibiscus rosa-sinensis.
  • My friend gave me a ziplock baggie of seeds in 2011. All the seed looked the same, but I got two different plants. As far as I can tell, there are two varieties of the same plant species. One has light green stems, yellow flowers, leaves shaped like cannabis leaves, and it produces light green calyxes. I think this one is referred to as H. sabdariffa altissima var. The other type has deep red or maroon stems, leaves that resemble red mulberry leaves, pink flowers, and produces maroon colored calyxes. I think they are the same species, but I'd like to be corrected if I'm wrong.
  • What's a calyx? Its this "fleshy" flower like thing that grows and protects the seed pods. Tortoises love them.
  • Ever heard of "hibiscus tea". Most people seem to think it is made from the flowers of "regular' hibiscus. It isn't. Its made from steeping the dehydrated calyxes from Hibiscus sabdariffa.
  • I feed lots of these leaves to my tortoises ever year. Larger tortoises also like the thinner stems, and all tortoises seem to think the tender young calyxes are like candy.
  • This plant thrives in hot weather. 110 degrees? No problem. They love it. 100+ all summer long suits this plant just fine. I bet it would do fine in Phoenix.
  • This plant cannot take the cold. Low 40s, or high 30s will kill it. It doesn't even have to get down to freezing.
  • Every spring I start a bunch of seeds in pots. When it grows to about a foot tall, I chop off the top of the main central stem with its three leaves. This make 3 new stems start and grow. When I feel like the plant is getting a little large for its pot, I transplant them into the ground. This is where they really take off. They bush out and get about 3-4 feet tall and wide. They grow and provide lots of tortoise food all summer long, and then they die in November when we get our first cold nights.
  • This year I sent seeds to my friend in Georgia. He planted them in his garden in spring and I forgot all about it. I went to visit him and his wife in October, and discovered this giant 10 foot tall plant the resembled my hibiscus plants, but was huge with leaves the size of dinner plates. Apparently, the plant loves humidity. After all these years, I discovered in 2020 that this plant is merely surviving in my climate, but thrives and grows to giant proportions in Georgia heat and humidity.
  • I've tried to start seeds indoors, and then move them outside. They always die. It doesn't work here. I have to start the seeds outside. This is problematic because all animals seem to like them just as much as the tortoises do. I have to encircle them with hardware cloth to keep the bunnies and squirrels off of them.
  • Full sun. They will survive in partial sun, but they grow two or three times more in full sun.
  • I grow them in raised planter beds and I water them primarily with poopy tortoise soak water. This amuses me. I feed the leaves to the torts, they digest them, poop them out in the soak water, then I dump the water at the bases of the plants, and the plants grow more leaves to be eaten by the tortoises.
  • When it turns cold, the leaves all die and wilt until they fall off. This leaves behind all the calyxes. I let them die out and dry up, and then collect them to extract the seeds. This year, I'm also saving the dried up dehydrated calyx material and I'll feed it out as part of the mix to my larger tortoise. Getting the seeds and separating the calyxes is very labor intensive. It takes hours and hours. Here are some red and green dried up calyxes, the larger tub holds separated calyx "petals" (This is what would make the hibiscus tea.), and the smallest tub holds the separated seeds.IMG_2312.jpg
I've always said that if you are going to keep tortoises, you also need to learn some gardening or farming skills. I highly recommend this plant to anyone who owns a tortoise. It will grow anywhere in the US in the hot summer months, and it can be grown in pots if you don't have a yard. I neglected to take pics of the actual plants, but they are easy to look up using the names used in this post.

I love it that I've been able to keep this plant going for years by collecting seeds and starting new plants every spring. My original seeds were directly form Africa from a friend, so on top of its utilitarian purposes as an amazing, palatable, high fiber tortoise food, it also has some sentimental value for me. I've collected thousands of seeds already and have thousands more to collect. I'd love to send seeds around the country so that if ever mine dies out and I can't get seeds for some reason, maybe I'll be able to get seeds from someone else who is able to grow them elsewhere that year.

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
A friend gave me some seeds 10 years ago, and I've been planting and growing this ever since. There seems to be a lot of confusion surrounding this species and other hibiscus. I thought I'd share what I've learned in an effort to clear some of the confusion, and sing its praises.

• First and foremost, this is a truly FANTASTIC tortoise food. Its one of the few plants that I know of that almost any tortoise will just walk up and eat the first time its sees it, with no introduction. All of my tortoises absolutely love it. All species and all ages. They will eat it over anything else.
  • The scientific name, I think, is Hibiscus sabdariffa. Totally different than "regular" or "tropical" hibiscus which is Hibiscus rosa-sinensis.
  • My friend gave me a ziplock baggie of seeds in 2011. All the seed looked the same, but I got two different plants. As far as I can tell, there are two varieties of the same plant species. One has light green stems, yellow flowers, leaves shaped like cannabis leaves, and it produces light green calyxes. I think this one is referred to as H. sabdariffa altissima var. The other type has deep red or maroon stems, leaves that resemble red mulberry leaves, pink flowers, and produces maroon colored calyxes. I think they are the same species, but I'd like to be corrected if I'm wrong.
  • What's a calyx? Its this "fleshy" flower like thing that grows and protects the seed pods. Tortoises love them.
  • Ever heard of "hibiscus tea". Most people seem to think it is made from the flowers of "regular' hibiscus. It isn't. Its made from steeping the dehydrated calyxes from Hibiscus sabdariffa.
  • I feed lots of these leaves to my tortoises ever year. Larger tortoises also like the thinner stems, and all tortoises seem to think the tender young calyxes are like candy.
  • This plant thrives in hot weather. 110 degrees? No problem. They love it. 100+ all summer long suits this plant just fine. I bet it would do fine in Phoenix.
  • This plant cannot take the cold. Low 40s, or high 30s will kill it. It doesn't even have to get down to freezing.
  • Every spring I start a bunch of seeds in pots. When it grows to about a foot tall, I chop off the top of the main central stem with its three leaves. This make 3 new stems start and grow. When I feel like the plant is getting a little large for its pot, I transplant them into the ground. This is where they really take off. They bush out and get about 3-4 feet tall and wide. They grow and provide lots of tortoise food all summer long, and then they die in November when we get our first cold nights.
  • This year I sent seeds to my friend in Georgia. He planted them in his garden in spring and I forgot all about it. I went to visit him and his wife in October, and discovered this giant 10 foot tall plant the resembled my hibiscus plants, but was huge with leaves the size of dinner plates. Apparently, the plant loves humidity. After all these years, I discovered in 2020 that this plant is merely surviving in my climate, but thrives and grows to giant proportions in Georgia heat and humidity.
  • I've tried to start seeds indoors, and then move them outside. They always die. It doesn't work here. I have to start the seeds outside. This is problematic because all animals seem to like them just as much as the tortoises do. I have to encircle them with hardware cloth to keep the bunnies and squirrels off of them.
  • Full sun. They will survive in partial sun, but they grow two or three times more in full sun.
  • I grow them in raised planter beds and I water them primarily with poopy tortoise soak water. This amuses me. I feed the leaves to the torts, they digest them, poop them out in the soak water, then I dump the water at the bases of the plants, and the plants grow more leaves to be eaten by the tortoises.
  • When it turns cold, the leaves all die and wilt until they fall off. This leaves behind all the calyxes. I let them die out and dry up, and then collect them to extract the seeds. This year, I'm also saving the dried up dehydrated calyx material and I'll feed it out as part of the mix to my larger tortoise. Getting the seeds and separating the calyxes is very labor intensive. It takes hours and hours. Here are some red and green dried up calyxes, the larger tub holds separated calyx "petals" (This is what would make the hibiscus tea.), and the smallest tub holds the separated seeds.View attachment 313527
I've always said that if you are going to keep tortoises, you also need to learn some gardening or farming skills. I highly recommend this plant to anyone who owns a tortoise. It will grow anywhere in the US in the hot summer months, and it can be grown in pots if you don't have a yard. I neglected to take pics of the actual plants, but they are easy to look up using the names used in this post.

I love it that I've been able to keep this plant going for years by collecting seeds and starting new plants every spring. My original seeds were directly form Africa from a friend, so on top of its utilitarian purposes as an amazing, palatable, high fiber tortoise food, it also has some sentimental value for me. I've collected thousands of seeds already and have thousands more to collect. I'd love to send seeds around the country so that if ever mine dies out and I can't get seeds for some reason, maybe I'll be able to get seeds from someone else who is able to grow them elsewhere that year.
Are these the same ones by chance?

Tortisedonk7

Indonesia
We call rosella. The dried flowers make excellent tea. They grow very well in Indonesia. But my tort doesn’t really like it. ?

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
Are these the same ones by chance?
I have ordered some ?
I love to expand what I can offer my babies and my husband it turns out likes to garden, so win win!

Is there a germination process you use that works better? Or just put them in dirt and watch them go? ( I'm horrible with plants haha, but I try)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have ordered some ?
I love to expand what I can offer my babies and my husband it turns out likes to garden, so win win!

Is there a germination process you use that works better? Or just put them in dirt and watch them go? ( I'm horrible with plants haha, but I try)
Like I said, I start them I pots outside. I wait until the weather warms up and its going to stay 50ish or higher day and night. Usually April or May for me here. Starting them inside and trying to acclimate them to living outside has failed for me every time, but they do great when I just start them outside from seeds.

I just put a few seeds in each pot and push them about a half inch into the soil. I then cover them up and keep them watered and in a warm/hot sunny spot.

The real trick is to lop off the top once it gets going at about a foot tall. It seems so counter-intuitive when your little baby plant is just getting started, but it really works well. I love the day I get to feed out those first soft tender tops. The torts love it too!

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico

and

"The mineral content of the leaves and calyces were; Calcium: 1.40% and 1.20%, Magnesium (mg/g): 1.35% and 1.57%, Phosphorus: 5.00% and 5.485% respectively. "

I feed alot of this out, the calyces anyways. I also sell the organic sourced 'tea' part which tortoises like a great deal. The tea from the flower can be used to flavor and color pelleted foods for broader acceptance.

Plain Hibiscus. https://kapidolofarms.com/product/hibiscus-cut-sifted/

Prepared foods with Hibiscus combined

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks for sharing Tom! I’ll be on the look out for this plant now! It is commonly available?
I don't know how easy to find it is. I've always had my seeds since they were first given to me, so I've never had to look for them. Srmcclure found them.

You guys don't have to look for them. Just text me an addy and they will magically arrive in the mail right to your door! :)

Prince's mom

Texas
I don't know how easy to find it is. I've always had my seeds since they were first given to me, so I've never had to look for them. Srmcclure found them.

You guys don't have to look for them. Just text me an addy and they will magically arrive in the mail right to your door! :)
Would love some seeds