Advise on Tortoise Health HELP!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilbie

5 Year Member
I have a 3 year old Sultcata tortoise that has not had a great start to life. He suffers from failure to thrive and is very small. He currently only weighs 3lbs and is 8". I recently had to move and so I was staying with my aunt for 3 months in a very drafty mobile home. He now has 4 soft spots on the side of his shell and I don't know what to do for the poor little guy. He is now in a tortoise house that is 6' x 2' and the temp is between 76-80 degrees. He does not get to go outside because it is to cold for him. I do have a basking light and heat lamp for him. I soak him every other day along with fresh water every day. I give him calcium with vitamin D daily with his pellets along with some greens like collards and dandelions. Sadly he does have some pyramiding. I did make the mistake of giving him kale during the time I was staying with my aunt not thinking about how it would effect his thyroid. Should have know better!!!!! He is very active and has a health appetite but I'm still very worried. I heard so many different things on what he can and cannot eat I'm not sure what to give him to help bulk him up and strengthen his shell. I've did read on the Sulcata station about different things to feed him but I can't find any growers around me or online that sell the different types of grasses. So I go off the list of recommended greens and grasses that are available where I live. At his last exam he did not have any parasites and his calcium levels were good. But that was 4 months ago before I moved. Any advise would be greatly appreciated!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
Where in the world do you live that there is no sun right now? (at least 60 degrees with some sun?) If you can get him outdoors, supervised, for at least 30-45 mins each day that will help soooooo much...what type of pellets are you feeding?

Tortoise

10 Year Member!
Canada
Welcome Wilbe
I don't have sulcatas but I suspect they need a higher bask temp-higher than 80 degrees.

In response to Ascott's question
(Angela try CANADA (haha) a high of 7 degrees here today!!)

Wilbie

5 Year Member
wellington said:
Hello and welcome:) what kind of UVB bulb are you using?

I have two basking lamps. One is a 75 watt basking lamp and the other is s 50 watt uva per my vet recommendations. And I live in Oregon so this time of the year we get little sun :(.

Wilbie

5 Year Member
ascott said:
Where in the world do you live that there is no sun right now? (at least 60 degrees with some sun?) If you can get him outdoors, supervised, for at least 30-45 mins each day that will help soooooo much...what type of pellets are you feeding?

Sorry new to this other would have put in my other commit. I have Zoomed pellets none pyramiding for sulcatas. I'll be growing hibiscus, hollyhocks and roses(leaves only) to feed him during the summer.But because of were I leave there is not allot of sun so he does not get hardly any natural sunlight. So if you have a recommendation to help him I'd be grateful!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
He needs a 95+ basking spot. By a mercury vapor bulb with UVB/UVA. Leave it on for 12 hours a day. As soon as you can get him outside for some sun, you need to. Also keep him well hydrated and feed as big a variety of food as you can. Check out the tortoisetable.org for edible plant items.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Listen Wilbie, your tort needs warmer temps in his enclosure. Temps should be no lower than 80 degrees, and basking temps should be 100-105 degrees F. In his hide, his temps should be around 90-95 degrees. You should also provide humidity of about 80%. Now, you need to have a temp gun if you don't have one. It is vital that you provide warmer temps for your lil guy, and the only way to measure the true temps is with a temp gun. Your tort probably isn't eating enough of the right foods which is contributing to his stunted growth. He may not be digesting properly because he's too cold and sick. The UVb lighting is inadequate. Your sully needs a 100w uvb mercury vapor bulb. That can also be his basking light. For nighttime, you'll need to continue to provide heat without a light. You'll need a ceramic heat emitter (CHE) of 100w. I know it's still too cold in Oregon to put your sully outside, but there have been members that live in your state who have been able to put their torts out when the sun was out even if temps were 65 degrees. At this time, you may have to weigh the advantages over the disadvantage of providing sun... something your tort desperately needs. The soft spots on his shell is not good. He needs quick action now. You need to provide the above things now or your tort may die.

So, here's what I need you to do. 1) give warm soaks with baby carrot food. In the soaks, pour some pedialite which you can get at Walgreens or WalMart. 2) Get rid of any coil bulbs for UV if that's what you have. Provide 100w UV lighting for 12 hours a day when he's not in sunlight for at least 2 hours daily. 3) Your tort needs a humid hide in his enclosure. Some members find it convenient to get a fogger (petsmart sells it for around $60). Others use a spray bottle of water and spray the shell a few times during the day. We have a member who has written care sheets for sullies or Leos. 4) I suggest you read it asap. Tom is one of the most experienced members here. You will learn a great deal from him on how to care for your tort. Aside from a good diet and daily exercise, I think you are making a good start in properly caring for this poor guy. Keep us posted as to his progress. Btw, the previous post (Barb) has Tom's care sheets posted. Just click on them and read.

Wilbie

5 Year Member
sibi said:
Listen Wilbie, your tort needs warmer temps in his enclosure. Temps should be no lower than 80 degrees, and basking temps should be 100-105 degrees F. In his hide, his temps should be around 90-95 degrees. You should also provide humidity of about 80%. Now, you need to have a temp gun if you don't have one. It is vital that you provide warmer temps for your lil guy, and the only way to measure the true temps is with a temp gun. Your tort probably isn't eating enough of the right foods which is contributing to his stunted growth. He may not be digesting properly because he's too cold and sick. The UVb lighting is inadequate. Your sully needs a 100w uvb mercury vapor bulb. That can also be his basking light. For nighttime, you'll need to continue to provide heat without a light. You'll need a ceramic heat emitter (CHE) of 100w. I know it's still too cold in Oregon to put your sully outside, but there have been members that live in your state who have been able to put their torts out when the sun was out even if temps were 65 degrees. At this time, you may have to weigh the advantages over the disadvantage of providing sun... something your tort desperately needs. The soft spots on his shell is not good. He needs quick action now. You need to provide the above things now or your tort may die.

So, here's what I need you to do. 1) give warm soaks with baby carrot food. In the soaks, pour some pedialite which you can get at Walgreens or WalMart. 2) Get rid of any coil bulbs for UV if that's what you have. Provide 100w UV lighting for 12 hours a day when he's not in sunlight for at least 2 hours daily. 3) Your tort needs a humid hide in his enclosure. Some members find it convenient to get a fogger (petsmart sells it for around $60). Others use a spray bottle of water and spray the shell a few times during the day. We have a member who has written care sheets for sullies or Leos. 4) I suggest you read it asap. Tom is one of the most experienced members here. You will learn a great deal from him on how to care for your tort. Aside from a good diet and daily exercise, I think you are making a good start in properly caring for this poor guy. Keep us posted as to his progress. Btw, the previous post (Barb) has Tom's care sheets posted. Just click on them and read.

Thank you so very much for the advice. The vet I was seeing was getting all her info on line and he hated her poor thing would hide in his shell when he heard her voice. He's a smart little thing!! And I can't lose him! So I will get the things suggested and try the carrot bath for him. He loves to soak so I'm sure he probably like that. Do you know were to buy temp gun?Also I've heard of giving pumpkin or squash do you know if that is OK on their digestion if given occasionally? I really appreciate every ones help. Thanks again!
wellington said:
He needs a 95+ basking spot. By a mercury vapor bulb with UVB/UVA. Leave it on for 12 hours a day. As soon as you can get him outside for some sun, you need to. Also keep him well hydrated and feed as big a variety of food as you can. Check out the tortoisetable.org for edible plant items.

Thanks for the help. Hopefully he will turn the corner soon. I thought I had read up before I got him. But I was did not do enough research it turns out. Just hope I didn't cause him any permanent damage :'(. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.