Advice on pyramiding

EmmaG

Location (City and/or State)
South East England
What does pyramiding on a Hermanns tortoise look like? I see lots of people talking about it but I'm not sure what it actually looks like. I have attached a picture of my tortoise Alfie. He has calcium powder on his food daily.

Thanks

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 55

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Pyramidding is where the scutes of the shell don't form a single flat plate. They are bumpy. Alfie is showing early signs of it. He is not completely smooth.

You won't get rid of it completely, but it will become less obvious as he grows if you change your husbandry.

He needs to be kept in a warm and humid environment. If you post pictures of your enclosure and lighting, we can recommend improvements that will help you to help Alfie.

To grow healthy, Alfie does need calcium, but he cannot process it if he doesn't make enough vitamin D3 and he does that by being exposed to UVB light from a lamp or from the sun (not through glass). It is possible to overdose calcium - a tiny pinch 3 days a week is all he needs.

His diety should be a variety of leafy greens which is high in fiber and low protein and low sugar. He can't process sugars properly, so fruit, tomato, bell pepper and carrot should be fed only occasionally.

I will be back shortly with some guides you must read to help you under stand the care Alfie needs

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England

EmmaG

South East England
Thankyou JoesMum,

in Alfie's indoor enclosure there is just a basking lamp because he goes outside most days. His diet is a variety of leafy greens, there is also a cuttlefish. The temperature in most of his enclosure is 18-20c and under the heat lamp is higher, this is using a normal household thermometer. The enclosure is quite dry, substrate is currently a mix of soil and a shop bought 'tortoise substrate', however I will soon be changing this to all top soil as I have heard this is best for tortoises. How can I make it more humid? There are a few small plants- succulents and a small spider plant. The outside enclosure has areas of grass which he likes to hide in as well as flagstone, rocks, hides. So there is space for Alfie to choose to be in the shade or the sun (I'm in the UK)

Last edited:

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
The best substrate is something like orchid bark or coco coir from a garden centre (additive free)

You can then mix water with it so it is damp and that will raise the humidity along with misting using a spray bottle. Warm humidity is what you need. If it's too cool your tort will get sick.

You MUST measure temps accurately. It needs to be 95F under the basking lamp for your tort to be able to digest his food and be properly active.

A temperature gun is inexpensive from Amazon online. Roughly 80 and hotter under the lamp is not accurate enough.

Please post photos of your existing enclosure. It is better we guide you before you make changes as we can help you avoid spending on the wrong things

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Here's the indoor enclosure, sorry it's not very good quality
It looks very nice and spacious, but the sides are very low and the edges and corners aren't capped, so climbing out will be easy.

You won't get the humidity up much because it's not enclosed.

I am going to see if @Tom, @Yvonne G and/or @spudthetortoise are about to advise on the enclosure. There are many others who can advise who may chip in overnight too.

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
I would still say: Much more plants and regular watering.

If it's warm enough you would never find young Hermanns in an open space like this. They not only feel more secure, but also have higher humidity when they are sitting in half-shade between plants on moist soil.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Humidity, humidity, and... HUMIDITY! 80% and upwardsImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1463346131.879619.jpg here's one of my babies. Almost 11 months old. Have had him since he was tiny hatchling. Being kept at 80-85 F and 82-85% humidity on average thought the enclosure. @Tom can tell you a lot more. From what I hear he was the one pioneering this theory/experiment

spud's_mum

United Kingdom
Hello!
I have a hermanns too. And like you, I started with an opened top enclosure. After Spud started to pyramid, I found this site and was informed about the need for humidity. Now spud is in a closed vivarium and growing smoothly.

When I had the table, I covered it with Perspex and left a little space for the light. Humid hides are also an option.:)
I keep spud at around 60-70% humidity. I also have a small humidifier to bump up the humidity

EmmaG

South East England
I would still say: Much more plants and regular watering.

If it's warm enough you would never find young Hermanns in an open space like this. They not only feel more secure, but also have higher humidity when they are sitting in half-shade between plants on moist soil.
Thankyou, what plants would you recommend? I could get some weed mix seed but that would take a while to grow

EmmaG

South East England
Hello!
I have a hermanns too. And like you, I started with an opened top enclosure. After Spud started to pyramid, I found this site and was informed about the need for humidity. Now spud is in a closed vivarium and growing smoothly.

When I had the table, I covered it with Perspex and left a little space for the light. Humid hides are also an option.:)
I keep spud at around 60-70% humidity. I also have a small humidifier to bump up the humidity
I have a humid hide in the outdoor enclosure, I could make one for the tortoise table as well. I thought vivariums were a big no for tortoises because they get too hot?

#confused

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
It's MUCH easier to have correct temperature and humidity in a vivarium than in a table. But in my opinion it isn't absolutely necessary, especially if Alfie spends most of his time outside. I guess I would rather invest in a greenhouse (which basically is a closed vivarium :rolleyes:) to keep him outside year-round/as much as possible, than buy a new indoor enclosure.

Thankyou, what plants would you recommend? I could get some weed mix seed but that would take a while to grow
Plantain, dandelion, clover, strawberries, violets,... Whatever you can find.
Take a bucket and a shovel, search for a good spot and get some "bricks" of soil with weeds and grass to put in your enclosure.
Environmental enrichment, humid hide and fresh food - for free. :D

EmmaG

South East England
Hi, I have made a few changed since this post, more plants, a small humid hide with sphagnum moss inside but Alfie isn't keen on this, the sides are now double the height but does anyone have any genius ideas on how to cover it to increase humidity. I don't want to buy a vivarium because it would be smaller than the current table and very expensive, I could potentially cover the table in Perspex but then the UV from the light wouldn't get through? So just wondering if anyone has any ideas that also look fairly nice and neat :) also, Alfie goes outside most days so when the lights are off at night inside I don't want the table to get cold and moist because that will cause health issues?

Thanks,
EmmaG

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
A very warm welcome to the forum!!;)

Please give your tort daily soaks in warm water; particularly if you live in a dry climate. I for one do: I live in Jordan where the weather is EXTREMELY DRY in Summer and Winter alike. Therefore, I give Oli:<3: (my beloved Greek tort) two to three soaks in Summer.:) I also spray his enclosure with water.;)

You've got a cute little tort!