Advice needed

Shanie

Location (City and/or State)
UK
I have owned a horsfield tortoise now for 8 months we were wrongly advised by a pet store to get a vivarium. After learning that they are not good for tortoises we are looking at getting a tortoise table. Would this be suitable http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271918123516 ? We have dogs so must have one with a mesh lid.

I have read on a few websites that yacht varnish is a suitable thing to use to protect the wood from water. There isn't much moisture but i would like to make the table last for as long as possible. I just wanted someone to confirm for me that it is safe to use and that it works well.
If not do you have any other recommendations.
Thank you.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Is this for a baby? Can we see a pic of the enclosure your using now. I'm not sure why a vivarium isn't good to use, for a hatchling at least.

Shanie

UK
Is this for a baby? Can we see a pic of the enclosure your using now. I'm not sure why a vivarium isn't good to use, for a hatchling at least.
I cant get a picture right now but his enclosure is 30 inches by 14 inches. We were told he was 3-4 months old when we got him so he is almost 1 now. The main reason for wanting to get a table is because he spends most of the day climbing up the glass. My dogs can also see him and constantly bark.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Well the enclosure is too small so that's a good reason to upgrade. However, until then just cover the glass to the height he can lift his head up so he can't see out. Aquariums/vivariums are good enclosures for hatchlings. If the glass bothers them just cover it.
However, yours does need a larger enclosure. If you do a 4x8 now, you won't have to upsize later.

Shanie

UK
Well the enclosure is too small so that's a good reason to upgrade. However, until then just cover the glass to the height he can lift his head up so he can't see out. Aquariums/vivariums are good enclosures for hatchlings. If the glass bothers them just cover it.
However, yours does need a larger enclosure. If you do a 4x8 now, you won't have to upsize later.

Ok i will cover the glass. We do not currently have the space for a tortoise table of that size. Would a smaller size be ok for a few years?