advice please (disinfecting an enclosure)

charlie91

I recently lost my baby hosfield tortoise to RI who was positive for mycroplasma. I am thinking about getting a new horsfield. Would i be able to keep the new tortoise in the same table as my last one, if its cleaned out properly. I have a tortoise table.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
It is physically possible to sterilize that table, but what if you miss a little?

I would just start from scratch. Closed chambers or vivariums also work much better for youngsters. Big tables are good for older ones though.

mini_max

Alberta, Canada
But wouldn't there be a limited life for that stuff if not in a host? After some period of time wouldn't it die? Gonna do some googling....

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
But wouldn't there be a limited life for that stuff if not in a host? After some period of time wouldn't it die? Gonna do some googling....

In theory yes. But what if conditions are just right and some encysted Protozoa or worm egg is able to survive longer than the established norm?

If someone does decide to disinfect I suggest diluted ammonia instead of bleach.

Heather H

N.E. ohio
I had the same question. Tuxy passed away from liver failure. Can I use anything he can into contact with? The vet said he had nothing contagious. I have removed all substrate. Washed all items in ammonia water. I baked all terra cotta and tiles rocks.... in the oven after I cleaned then. 500 degrees for an hour. Let them cool overnight in the oven

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Clean and disinfect then leave it sitting in the sun for a couple days.