advice in selling sulcata

ohio sultana owner

Location (City and/or State)
pickerington ohio
My granddaughter was given a young baby sulcata tort for her birthday July 2017. It is now 2 years old and healthy. She brought it to my house (I am grandma) as she had no room. With what I have learned since about this tortoise, I realize that Ohio weather is probably not the best place to try to house a large tortoise in our suburbs. I realize it may be difficult to ship if I sell it, but I would rather have enough time to find a good person to buy it who will appreciate it. It is small enough to fit into an empty cat litter bucket to carry outside daily. I am fond of it. Right now I can keep it in the yard in the summer where it follows me around, but in the winter, I have to keep it inside in a cage made from a rubbermaid storage cabinet laid on it's back(3'x7'x18"tall)lined with painter plastic and hay. I thought I should start getting information on the best way to sell it. I was advised not to give it away or sell it too cheaply because of unscrupulous people, so I want to give myself plenty of time. My granddaughter lost interest in it fairly soon (she was only 5 and is only 7 now) and has since gotten 2 kitties she loves, so she doesn't care. Any advice? (PS. We called it Terrie because we were told it was a female but what I read now about a male havin
g a concave shell and a female having a convex...I think it may be a male.I cannot see the "spur" on the tail an article mentioned and I cannot tell if the tail is longer than normal. any other distinguishing markings for a female or male?)

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
Both me and @Cheryl Hills are in Ohio. She is up near Youngstown, and I am near Cincinnati. While we do get some harsh winters, with proper infrastructure put in place they can survive Ohio winters no problem. Tons of tips and tricks if you are interested in keeping it.

ohio sultana owner

pickerington ohio
Thank-you! I will keep it in mind. I have read some about it, but my yard and house are not that big and my daughter and family have moved in due to some financial issues which has affected MY finances-I don't have extra to work with. Right now my little (is 10" that little anymore?) tortoise is OK on my back porch with heat lamps in her box and going in the yard during the day right now because it is summer. But I know that it will grow quickly out of the rubbermaid storage cabinet laying on the floor since it is only 3' wide by 7' long.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My advice is to give the tortoise away for free, but screen the potential new homes for suitability. Avoid "flippers". These are people who take a free or cheap tortoise and sell it for profit to anyone with money.

Either of the Ohio members mentioned above can be trusted to get the tortoise into good hands. Both are great people who know what they are doing.

ohio sultana owner

pickerington ohio
My advice is to give the tortoise away for free, but screen the potential new homes for suitability. Avoid "flippers". These are people who take a free or cheap tortoise and sell it for profit to anyone with money.

Either of the Ohio members mentioned above can be trusted to get the tortoise into good hands. Both are great people who know what they are doing.
thank-you!