Poor Sulcata

Status
Not open for further replies.

drgnfly2265

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
FLORIDA
Well I decided to go to the Flea Market today and I wanted to check out the little pet store that they have there. I was so excited when I saw a sulcata that looked like it was almost a foot long.
I looked inside of the fish tank (yep, first bad thing) and seen that it was pyramiding really badly. The bedding that it was walking on was little rocks that it could easily eat. The water was in a bowl that had really high sides so it had to climb up it to get a drink, same with the food dish (but there was nothing in there at all).
I was curious about how old it was and if it was a male or female so I went to talk to the owners. I ask a lady there how old it was and she said 7 years old. Then I ask if it was a male or female. She had no idea. So I asked if I could holded it to check it out. She climbed on the table to get to it (the tank was behind all of the snakes tank).
When she gave it to me I noticed that it was covered in poo. I flipped it over and found out that it is a female, I let the lady know also. The sulcata was sooo... friendly. While I was holding her, she was just looking around.
While holding it, a couple passed by me and ask me about it. When they asked about how big that she would get I let them know the truth. They were supprised and walk away. When I looked over at the lady she gave a not so happy look like why did you just tell them that.
The price on the tank was $395. When I handed the sulcata over the lady quickly said that she would take $300 for her. Interesting how she would quickly drop the price by about $100.
I feel so bad for that Sulcata. First of all I don't have $300 for her (and I think that is way overpriced), and I don't want to give them money just so they can go out and get another to put in horrible conditions. But I really wished that I could have somehow rescued it.

Sorry about how long this was to read, but I had to vent. She doesn't want to tell people about how big she is going to get. And I just felt so bad about walking away from her :(

Jamie

1 Sulcata (Bowser)

www.myspace.com/bowsertortoise

:rolleyes:

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
That is a really sad story Jamie
I know how you feel. Maybe you could call the store and ask to talk to the manager and tell him what you saw, maybe he will not care but there is a little chance he does. Maybe it will help you to feel a little bit better, knowing that you did everything you could do to help the poor thing.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Print out some basic care info and take it to the lady. Sometimes Education is what they need. Give her your number. If she decides she cat take care of it and wants it to live and go to a good home.. have her call you.

drgnfly2265

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
FLORIDA
Isa said:
I know how you feel. Maybe you could call the store and ask to talk to the manager and tell him what you saw, maybe he will not care but there is a little chance he does. Maybe it will help you to feel a little bit better, knowing that you did everything you could do to help the poor thing.

It's not really a "store". It's an area, or booth space, that they rent out each weekend and they set up their fish tanks of critters. Sadly, the lady I talked to was the owner.

Jamie

1 Sulcata (Bowser)

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
drgnfly2265 said:
Isa said:

It's not really a "store". It's an area, or booth space, that they rent out each weekend and they set up their fish tanks of critters. Sadly, the lady I talked to was the owner.

Jamie

1 Sulcata (Bowser)

:( now I see. Grr I hate those kind of people, poor little sulcata. I really hope someone nice will adopt her and take care of her. I do not understand people like that, they are just so mean and so cruel, they don't respect animals. Jamie, do you think you could try to talk to the lady like Laura suggested? or do you think the lady will not care at all?

Marla

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
RainbowValley, AZ.
This is very sad and should be considered animal abuse...I will never understand why people in this world think its OK to treat living things with such cruelity.....It always has to do with money in the end...You have a good heart and you at least were in the right place at the right time for the passer bys....

drgnfly2265

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
FLORIDA
Isa said:
drgnfly2265 said:
Isa said:

Jamie

1 Sulcata (Bowser)

:( now I see. Grr I hate those kind of people, poor little sulcata. I really hope someone nice will adopt her and take care of her. I do not understand people like that, they are just so mean and so cruel, they don't respect animals. Jamie, do you think you could try to talk to the lady like Laura suggested? or do you think the lady will not care at all?

It didn't seem like the lady didnt' care at all. When I told the couple that walked by about the size, the owner looked pretty upset.

It's like what you said Marla, it does seem to do with money in the end for them.

Jamie

1 Sulcata (Bowser)

savanna

5 Year Member
drgnfly2265 said:
Well I decided to go to the Flea Market today and I wanted to check out the little pet store that they have there. I was so excited when I saw a sulcata that looked like it was almost a foot long.
I looked inside of the fish tank (yep, first bad thing) and seen that it was pyramiding really badly. The bedding that it was walking on was little rocks that it could easily eat. The water was in a bowl that had really high sides so it had to climb up it to get a drink, same with the food dish (but there was nothing in there at all).
I was curious about how old it was and if it was a male or female so I went to talk to the owners. I ask a lady there how old it was and she said 7 years old. Then I ask if it was a male or female. She had no idea. So I asked if I could holded it to check it out. She climbed on the table to get to it (the tank was behind all of the snakes tank).
When she gave it to me I noticed that it was covered in poo. I flipped it over and found out that it is a female, I let the lady know also. The sulcata was sooo... friendly. While I was holding her, she was just looking around.
While holding it, a couple passed by me and ask me about it. When they asked about how big that she would get I let them know the truth. They were supprised and walk away. When I looked over at the lady she gave a not so happy look like why did you just tell them that.
The price on the tank was $395. When I handed the sulcata over the lady quickly said that she would take $300 for her. Interesting how she would quickly drop the price by about $100.
I feel so bad for that Sulcata. First of all I don't have $300 for her (and I think that is way overpriced), and I don't want to give them money just so they can go out and get another to put in horrible conditions. But I really wished that I could have somehow rescued it.

Sorry about how long this was to read, but I had to vent. She doesn't want to tell people about how big she is going to get. And I just felt so bad about walking away from her :(

Jamie

1 Sulcata (Bowser)

do you have a humane society in that community talk to them and see if they can do anything.

M

Maggie Cummings

You will learn that it is better for you to not look at stuff like that, it just makes you upset. I have gotten where I don't look anymore. Sulcata have become throw away pets and most people who keep them don't have a clue as to how to keep them the right way. They just don't care. It used to make me so upset I would cry over a tortoise that I didn't even know...so I have learned to not look at them. So I try to put good advice about caring for Sulcata on forums like this and sometimes I sound irritated and other times I sound kinda short and it's because I have seen the worst people have done to Sulcata.

Status
Not open for further replies.