Advice and opinion please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Montreal, QC, Canada
Yesterday, I went to the vet to bring the poo sample. When I came back Hermy was trying hard hard hard to poo and was not able. I saw something comes out of him and goes back into him right away, I checked and it was a pink purple thing measuring about 2-3cm, I thought that maybe it was his penis or a worm. I called the vet right away (the new vet) I explained everything and the vet told me that the result of the poo sample was negative and told me that it was not his penis since he was trying to poo and he is still to young to show his penis (1year and a half), she told me it could be his intestine since he was forcing hard. She prescribe Benebac for 3-4 days and told me that maybe we should give him antibiotic for the worms even if his test is negative (I said no)She also asked me if Hermy ate something we is not supposed to (she tought it could an impaction) I answered no but this morning I HAD A FLASH. All started on the 24, the same day I put the new shpagmum moss in his house (he was eating it like crazy) I had to remove it. Maybe it could be that and the problem could be an impaction?? I will call on monday morning (it is closed today) to take an appointment this week for a X-Ray.
What happens if it is the problem, is he going to be ok?
And my other question is what dose should i sprinkle Hermy's food with benebac.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I've never heard of Benebac, but from the name it sounds as if it were benificial bacteria. I don't know anything about that. But as to the other problem. Soak, soak, soak! Soak your tortoise in slightly-warmer-than-room- temperature water for a good long time. This almost never fails to cause them to poop.

Yvonne

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
How big is Hermy now Isa? Can you post pictures of his plastron and tail? It really does sound like it was his penis that you saw. When my young male Hermanns have been checking out their "equipment" they stand up tall and act like they are pushing. They are though filling their penis with blood and having a jolly time with it. :D
It sounds like Hermy is hitting tortoise puberty :p
No the moss wouldn't cause an impaction as it would just be digested.

Danny

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Thanks Yvonne and Danny

Danny,
I can't believe it, my baby Hermy in ''tortoise puberty", at 1 year and a half :-O
Next time I will tell him, Hermy not in front of your mummy :D
Could it be possible that he is pushing so hard that diarrhoea would come out? Or it is another problem? because everytime he is pushing like that, he has diarrhoea.
I have attached the pic of his plastron and his tail. He weights 209grams and measure 9,9cm.

Attachments

• Hermy2.JPG
    Hermy2.JPG
    22.8 KB · Views: 37

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Hermy is definately male :D and at that size is definately at puberty and will be mature at 12.5cm.
The diarrhoea is a different matter from the playing with the manhood.

Danny

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
egyptiandan said:
Hermy is definately male :D and at that size is definately at puberty and will be mature at 12.5cm.
The diarrhoea is a different matter from the playing with the manhood.

Danny

Thanks Danny :D
Do you think he is older than what the pet store told me?

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
I would say yes. He's probably between 3 and 4 years old.

Danny

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
egyptiandan said:
I would say yes. He's probably between 3 and 4 years old.

Danny

Thanks a lot Danny :D
When I bought Hermy in February, his weight was about 80 grams, is it normal that now he is 209grams. I only feed him greens and only what is good and healty for him. I feed him only in the morning and 5 or 6 pieces before he goes to bed. Is it possible that some tortoise grow A LOT faster that other ones.
I am really happy it was not his intestine, Hermy is becoming a little man :D

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Yes some tortoises grow much faster than others, even from the same clutch. As long as he's growing well, that weight gain is just fine.

Danny

pebbles mom

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Sussex, WI
Isa, for some reason I thought Hermy was a hatchling ~ I see he is pretty big. And such a cute belly :p

Anyway, thanks for the info (and a good chuckle here at work). I will have that to look forward to huh? (If Pebbs is a boy).

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
pebbles mom said:
Isa, for some reason I thought Hermy was a hatchling ~ I see he is pretty big. And such a cute belly :p

Anyway, thanks for the info (and a good chuckle here at work). I will have that to look forward to huh? (If Pebbs is a boy).

Hello Pebbles mom :)
I thought he was younger than that. Even if now he thinks he is a little man, he is still my little baby Hermy :D.

Status
Not open for further replies.