Adult Leopard Tortoise in South Dakota?!

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Oregon
I have a tortoise named Levi. He's an 11.5 year old male leopard tortoise. Just shy of 18" & almost 30lbs, he's not a small guy. I've had him since he hatched. We started out in SoCal, moved to Southern Oregon and now we are looking to move to South Dakota. I love this guy. He's been through so many moves with me and although he could care less about me, I really care about him.

I need you guys to help me out with the pros/cons to taking him to South Dakota. I've never been there. Google tells me they have long, snowy winters. We don't even know exactly where in SD we are going (depends upon hubby's work) or when. BUT our current house in Oregon is already on the market. Once it sells, we'll know more. Look at the timing though, it's fall and will be winter AKA very, VERY cold by the time we DO move.

Pros to taking him:
Selfishly, I like him. I've had him almost 12 years. I have a lot of history with him and he is a cool pet.

Cons to keeping him:
Housing him all winter long will be a challenge. Financially for us, but also space-wise for him. **especially considering the timing. If we were moving at the start of summer, I don't think I'd be having this internal struggle/debate*

Short-term:
We'll take 3-4 days to get there. He'd be traveling in a tote in a car during that time. We'll likely rent a place until we settle a bit and can find a house to buy. That means finding a landlord that will allow him (among my other animals) and setting him up in a temporary space. Maybe the garage?
Long-term:
I figure we'll set up a 8x12 TUFF Shed in the yard. He'll get the whole shed during winter and have "doggie door" access the yard during good weather. BUT what will I feed him during winter when he can't go outside? Right now I never really feed him. He self grazes all day long in the yard on grass, weeds & grape leaves. I wouldn't even begin to know how much food he would need daily.

So basically, should I consider taking him? Or finding him a home in better weather?

What is best for Levi? Is living in a shed 4 months out of the year going to be that bad? Anyone in South Dakota with large tortoises care to share the reality of doing it?
Would I feed him Mazuri & perhaps timothy hay pellets during winter?

Picture of Levi from a birthday party we did yesterday:
party1.JPG

Pic of me & Levi from a pirate event we did last summer:
pirate.JPG

Pic of Levi this fall, chasing my crocs: (as he so often does)
crocs.JPG

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Oh wow,I think you should take him with you. No one will care for him like you. My leopards do just fine in the winter in their winter shed. You could set up a pop up portable greenhouse in a basement,or garage and it wouldn't be too hard to heat or that expensive. The shed also of course will work when you get your perminent location.
I'm sure they all would be happier in the native land, but then again, they have never been there to know the difference.
I do believe Levi has some PP in him with his size, and they can handle colder temps even better.

zovick

10 Year Member!
I have a tortoise named Levi. He's an 11.5 year old male leopard tortoise. Just shy of 18" & almost 30lbs, he's not a small guy. I've had him since he hatched. We started out in SoCal, moved to Southern Oregon and now we are looking to move to South Dakota. I love this guy. He's been through so many moves with me and although he could care less about me, I really care about him.

I need you guys to help me out with the pros/cons to taking him to South Dakota. I've never been there. Google tells me they have long, snowy winters. We don't even know exactly where in SD we are going (depends upon hubby's work) or when. BUT our current house in Oregon is already on the market. Once it sells, we'll know more. Look at the timing though, it's fall and will be winter AKA very, VERY cold by the time we DO move.

Pros to taking him:
Selfishly, I like him. I've had him almost 12 years. I have a lot of history with him and he is a cool pet.

Cons to keeping him:
Housing him all winter long will be a challenge. Financially for us, but also space-wise for him. **especially considering the timing. If we were moving at the start of summer, I don't think I'd be having this internal struggle/debate*

Short-term:
We'll take 3-4 days to get there. He'd be traveling in a tote in a car during that time. We'll likely rent a place until we settle a bit and can find a house to buy. That means finding a landlord that will allow him (among my other animals) and setting him up in a temporary space. Maybe the garage?
Long-term:
I figure we'll set up a 8x12 TUFF Shed in the yard. He'll get the whole shed during winter and have "doggie door" access the yard during good weather. BUT what will I feed him during winter when he can't go outside? Right now I never really feed him. He self grazes all day long in the yard on grass, weeds & grape leaves. I wouldn't even begin to know how much food he would need daily.

So basically, should I consider taking him? Or finding him a home in better weather?

What is best for Levi? Is living in a shed 4 months out of the year going to be that bad? Anyone in South Dakota with large tortoises care to share the reality of doing it?
Would I feed him Mazuri & perhaps timothy hay pellets during winter?

Picture of Levi from a birthday party we did yesterday:
View attachment 362369

Pic of me & Levi from a pirate event we did last summer:
View attachment 362370

Pic of Levi this fall, chasing my crocs: (as he so often does)
View attachment 362371
I kept several large tortoises like yours in CO and can tell you that it won't be easy to keep your tortoise healthy and happy in that winter weather in SD. Yes, it can be done, but you are going to need a good amount of HEAT, plus UV lighting, plus a lot of food. The winters in CO are fairly long and dang cold and SD is most likely even worse..

A garage doesn't really meet the necessary requirements and it will take loads of energy to keep it warm enough for your tortoise for the several months of winter. Think about the difficulty of maintaining 84-88 degrees in close to zero degree winter weather in a (most likely) very poorly insulated garage. It will only take one good chill for your tortoise to get a respiratory problem which could be life-threatening.

The high food bills for feeding him which you will incur will surprise you as well. Grazing will not even be a possibility for 3 months of the year (at best).

It is rather hard to explain all that is going to be required to maintain the tortoise in good health through a cold winter. I am very experienced at keeping tortoises in cold climate states and I would be reluctant to take my tortoises into such winter conditions again. Setting up an appropriate situation for your tortoise while you yourself are in a temporary housing situation could be a real challenge.

I know it may be difficult for you to part with him, but I would seriously try to find someone in SoCal or FL to take your tortoise. Both of you will be much happier for that decision.

Good luck, though, whatever you decide.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I kept several large tortoises like yours in CO and can tell you that it won't be easy to keep your tortoise healthy and happy in that winter weather in SD. Yes, it can be done, but you are going to need a good amount of HEAT, plus UV lighting, plus a lot of food. The winters in CO are fairly long and dang cold and SD is most likely even worse..

A garage doesn't really meet the necessary requirements and it will take loads of energy to keep it warm enough for your tortoise for the several months of winter. Think about the difficulty of maintaining 84-88 degrees in close to zero degree winter weather in a (most likely) very poorly insulated garage. It will only take one good chill for your tortoise to get a respiratory problem which could be life-threatening.

The high food bills for feeding him which you will incur will surprise you as well. Grazing will not even be a possibility for 3 months of the year (at best).

It is rather hard to explain all that is going to be required to maintain the tortoise in good health through a cold winter. I am very experienced at keeping tortoises in cold climate states and I would be reluctant to take my tortoises into such winter conditions again. Setting up an appropriate situation for your tortoise while you yourself are in a temporary housing situation could be a real challenge.

I know it may be difficult for you to part with him, but I would seriously try to find someone in SoCal or FL to take your tortoise. Both of you will be much happier for that decision.

Valuable and experienced comments!

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon

Your comment is very insightful. I will re-read it many times.

I love the sweet comments that tell me to take him, and that I'm invested thus far, so keep going. :<3: However, I honestly do fear this change. I have NO clue what I'm in for.

@wellington Barb, can you elaborate on your Chicago winter housing in the shed a little bit more?

I'm taking it one day at a time.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon

Can you please share what you fed your tortoises during winter?

Would Mazuri tortoise diet with soaked timothy hay pellets as a base be sufficient?

Thank you,

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It's quite possible to insulate and make ready a Tuff Shed for your purpose. I would set up the shed right next to the house for extra protection. My sister's well insulated shed maintains 80+ degrees in winter even on snowy days, with an electric, oil-filled radiator. You would maybe need a couple of them. Depending on the cost of electricity in S.D. it's not going to be cheap to keep him there, but it's doable.

zovick

10 Year Member!
Can you please share what you fed your tortoises during winter?

Would Mazuri tortoise diet with soaked timothy hay pellets as a base be sufficient?

Thank you,
I fed my tortoises a wide variety of items: romaine lettuce, bok choy, green and yellow squashes, cabbage, kale, apples, grapes, corn on the cob, pumpkins, cherries, raspberries, blueberries, peaches, carrots, tomatoes, bagged salad mixes, and more.

You will note that I am NOT a believer that tortoises should not be fed fruits (as per the urban legend). If they are kept warm enough, they have no trouble with eating fruits. My 50+ years of experience proves this to be true. Also would add a second note here: Mazuri tortoise diet (the original formula) is extremely messy to feed to tortoises kept indoors. They walk through it, spread it everywhere in their enclosure, and it hardens like cement. Additionally, by the end of the day, it begins to smell rancid. I would never use it if I had any other choice. If fed outdoors, it can attract vermin and other unwanted visitors.

The new formula Mazuri is better as far as the above problems are concerned, but 99% of my tortoises would not even eat it. As far as I am concerned, both types were just a waste of $$.

I always watched with mixed emotions in the 1970's in CT and CO as my adult sulcatas devoured huge heads of cabbage ($5 and more each even back then) in about 5 to 10 minutes. They could eat a 20-25 pound pumpkin in just a few minutes as well. I just threw the pumpkins on the ground to crack them open and they were gone in minutes.

I don't know if the houses in SD have basements, but if they do, I would recommend getting a place with a basement and keeping your tortoise there rather than in a garage or a shed. A shed might be OK, but you will most likely have a tough time setting one up in time for winter at this point, PLUS doing it at a rented property might not even be a possibility depending on the landlord. Heck, many landlords might not even allow any pets at all.

Last edited:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Because I have 2 leopards and a Russian, they live on tables during the winter. I use oil filled radiator to heat the shed. Then they each have a basking light and uvb light during the day. I have a ceiling fan that runs very slow just to push the rising heat back down to tortoises level. I can't really tell you how much more it costs. My electric bill in summer is over 2 hundred. More in winter. But I have 3 aquariums and a hot tub. If you had a shed and put a lower ceiling in it for part of the enclosure and placed all heating under that, it would eliminate the need of a fan and should keep cost down. My tortoises always slow down in the fall. Even on the nice hot fall days, they would go inside their summer hide early. I bet one year and Levi would catch on.
As far as food. I strip my mulberry trees of their leaves and dry them or freeze them. I feed the leaves, grocery greens, cactus, mazuri, mulberry powder that I add agar agar too to make it a gel and layer pellets.
It will be tuff the first winter if you move during the winter. But there is nothing wrong with the better grocery greens. In Wills one thread from a few years ago, a lot of the grocery greens turned out better then we all though. He also sells some good stuff you could get to top them off with that would make them even better.
If you could designate a room in the house to him, it would likely be a little cheaper and easier.
The one thing you may need to find out about is power outages. If the area you go has them often then a generator would be on my first to buy list. Fortunately I don't have that worry.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I fed my tortoises a wide variety of items: romaine lettuce, bok choy, green and yellow squashes, cabbage, kale, apples, grapes, corn on the cob, pumpkins, cherries, raspberries, blueberries, peaches, carrots, tomatoes, bagged salad mixes, and more.

You will note that I am NOT a believer that tortoises should not be fed fruits (as per the urban legend). If they are kept warm enough, they have no trouble with eating fruits. My 50+ years of experience proves this to be true. Also would add a second note here: Mazuri tortoise diet (the original formula) is extremely messy to feed to tortoises kept indoors. They walk through it, spread it everywhere in their enclosure, and it hardens like cement. Additionally, by the end of the day, it begins to smell rancid. I would never use it if I had any other choice. If fed outdoors, it can attract vermin and other unwanted visitors.

The new formula Mazuri is better as far as the above problems are concerned, but 99% of my tortoises would not even eat it. As far as I am concerned, both types were just a waste of $$.

I always watched with mixed emotions in the 1970's in CT and CO as my adult sulcatas devoured huge heads of cabbage ($5 and more each even back then) in about 5 to 10 minutes. They could eat a 20-25 pound pumpkin in just a few minutes as well. I just threw the pumpkins on the ground to crack them open and they were gone in minutes.

I don't know if the houses in SD have basements, but if they do, I would recommend getting a place with a basement and keeping your tortoise there rather than in a garage or a shed. A shed might be OK, but you will most likely have a tough time setting one up in time for winter at this point, PLUS doing it at a rented property might not even be a possibility depending on the landlord. Heck, many landlords might not even allow any pets at all.
Wow, such a rebel! Lol. I can't say I have the mazuri experience, mine gobbles it down.

zovick

10 Year Member!
Wow, such a rebel! Lol. I can't say I have the mazuri experience, mine gobbles it down.
Is it the original formula, the LS, or both which your tortoise likes? If it's the original, try feeding the LS and see if it is eaten with as much gusto.

I have been keeping tortoises since the late 1950's and I don't think Mazuri or other prepared diet pellets for tortoises came along until the late 80's (though I could be wrong), so I was never in the habit of using any type of commercially prepared diets to feed my animals for the first 30 years. Hence, I never really relied on them since I already had a regular diet and feeding routine which had evolved over those first 30 years or so.

Last edited:

SuzanneZ

Georgetown

Love picturing them eating those cabbages. I guess with my first two Russians I can see what they'll do with Brussels sprouts.

Your fruit feeding is interesting to note.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Is it the original formula, the LS, or both which your tortoise likes? If it's the original, try feeding the LS and see if it is eaten with as much gusto.

I have been keeping tortoises since the late 1950's and I don't think Mazuri or other prepared diet pellets for tortoises came along until the late 80's (though I could be wrong), so I was never in the habit of using any type of commercially prepared diets to feed my animals for the first 30 years. Hence, I never really relied on them since I already had a regular diet and feeding routine which had evolved over those first 30 years or so.
I get the original. I'm not going to even waste the time or money on the LS, too many don't like it. I use it in winter and maybe once a month in the summer, just to give a more rounded diet. The mazuri fills in what the rest might lack.

zovick

10 Year Member!
I get the original. I'm not going to even waste the time or money on the LS, too many don't like it. I use it in winter and maybe once a month in the summer, just to give a more rounded diet. The mazuri fills in what the rest might lack.
Agreed. The LS is a loser as far as I am concerned. None of my tortoises ever touched it. Radiateds, Stars, and my Western Herman's all avoided it. They would rather not eat at all than touch that stuff, dry or wet.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Thanks for all the additional info.

@wellington Barb, do your tortoises get to occasionally graze during winter in Chicago? Or are they locked up in the shed full time for the winter months.

@zovick have you ever tried timothy or orchard hay pellets? I used them years ago with Levi was small as a way to add variety. I didn't feed much of it and I didn't feed it long term. Would feeding those in addition to other foods be a good idea?

@Yvonne, glad to hear Maggie's shed maintains temps. I wonder how different it will be in SD though.

I know where there is a will there is a way and with enough $$ all things are possible.
BUT.... the whole reason we might be moving in the first place is because my hubbs has been out of work for 6 months now. After struggling to find work here (and surviving the last 6 month with zero income) we have to do something. That's why the house is on the market and we are trying to find work elsewhere.
See how this further complicates my dilemma? ...sigh....