Adult Coloring/Adults who color

ColleenT

Location (City and/or State)
Lehigh Valley Pa
So this is NOT a dirty thread. i promise (well not from ME, anyhow). I started sponsoring a child from Africa a few years ago, and she was 8 at the time. i was allowed to send her coloring books, but i could never find any i liked. She lives in Africa and most of the ones i found were of characters in American culture, or had mostly white people. So i found Dover publishing and got a bunch of nice coloring books for her. But i also looked thru them and copied a few of the pages on my printer. i colored them myself. Then i found out over a year ago that ADULT coloring is a THING. There are coloring books with difficult illustrations for adults. You need colored pencils or very fine-line markers bc the spaces are so small. And at 47, i also have discovered i need reading glasses when i do it, but I really enjoy it. Amazon has a TON of them. This is the most recent i just ordered last night. ( along with 3 others). I don't color in them, i copy the ones i like, that way if i don't like the way it turned out, i have the option to copy again and start over.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1523692057/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I have not purchased any of the books, yet. I really like the idea though. I know a few people that do it and have sore fingers from their coloring addiction. I found an app on my phone that is much easier to do and if you don't like the color, you can just tap a new color over it. So far I have enjoyed the app so have not purchased a book. You should show us some that you have colored

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
My sister does these and also Zen Doodles, a bit more of a free style thing. It's like doing crossword puzzles or Sudoku, but different. It's a displacement activity for me when I don't like the place I'm in. Very helpful meditation for when the rats in life fatigue my strength to deal with them all.

Rue

Canada
I like colouring too. Anyone else remember the velvet flocked mandala posters? If I recall correctly they were big in the 1980s. I think you can still get them...or some version of them.

Now it's been reincarnated as a 'mindfulness' trend...:)

I just got my myself...and my daughter... one of the colouring books (and pencil crayons)...she's a tad hyper...I was hoping this might distract her when she stresses.

I'm hoping my new book will distract ME when I'm stressing...which reminds me that I need to find and sharpen my colouring pencils...:D

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Amazon has reported that adult coloring books are one of their biggest sellers I don't get it myself but to each their own

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I have a daughter (in her 20s) who is high strung. I got her a bunch for Christmas and she loves them!

ColleenT

Lehigh Valley Pa
here are two of mine. I do mostly animals, but i am trying to branch out. Don't like Mandelas, and don't like patterns for the most part. I sometimes get a sore wrist if i color every day for a while.

elephantdone_zpsxbtbcfac.jpg

octopic_zpsetcxdj8i.jpg

ColleenT

Lehigh Valley Pa
Amazon has reported that adult coloring books are one of their biggest sellers I don't get it myself but to each their own

I understand, it is not something for the VERY BUSY person. If you are already using up all your free time, it's not for you. BUT it is relaxing..to a point. The difference between being a kid coloring and being an adult, i am much harder on myself if i accidentally go out of the lines or color something wrong. Since i always liked coloring/artwork and was a bit of an artsy student, i love it.

ColleenT

Lehigh Valley Pa
I have not purchased any of the books, yet. I really like the idea though. I know a few people that do it and have sore fingers from their coloring addiction. I found an app on my phone that is much easier to do and if you don't like the color, you can just tap a new color over it. So far I have enjoyed the app so have not purchased a book. You should show us some that you have colored

While i can appreciate the app, and it would be fun for boring times, i prefer the actual coloring.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
While i can appreciate the app, and it would be fun for boring times, i prefer the actual coloring.
I think the real thing is probably more relaxing too. Although I can change colors easy or just back arrow a mistake, it's irritating when trying to do the small spaces and you just can't get your finger to tap in the right place. It was one of those bored times and there was nothing to do or watch on tv, so app searching I went:D

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I did not even like coloring as a child

Linhdan Nguyen

Maryland
Those colorings are beautiful ! I color, I blame part of it on studying to be a kindergarten teacher, but i love coloring, i use to get pretty upset when my sisters would break my crayons by "accident" or take my color pencils.
I have an adult coloring book. It does hurt my fingers when i color for too long but i enjoy it. I havent colored in awhile though, too much school work .

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
So this is NOT a dirty thread. i promise (well not from ME, anyhow). I started sponsoring a child from Africa a few years ago, and she was 8 at the time. i was allowed to send her coloring books, but i could never find any i liked. She lives in Africa and most of the ones i found were of characters in American culture, or had mostly white people. So i found Dover publishing and got a bunch of nice coloring books for her. But i also looked thru them and copied a few of the pages on my printer. i colored them myself. Then i found out over a year ago that ADULT coloring is a THING. There are coloring books with difficult illustrations for adults. You need colored pencils or very fine-line markers bc the spaces are so small. And at 47, i also have discovered i need reading glasses when i do it, but I really enjoy it. Amazon has a TON of them. This is the most recent i just ordered last night. ( along with 3 others). I don't color in them, i copy the ones i like, that way if i don't like the way it turned out, i have the option to copy again and start over.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1523692057/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

My Grandmother suffered with dementia, the disease takes a person away kind of in waves, during one of these waves my Grandmother would color for hours, so much so that her hands would cramp and crick up on her....the disease would not allow her to understand why her hands would hurt...lol..she use to think everything just happen for no reason, the ability to measure time eventually went a way and I suppose that would lead one to think everything happens all of a sudden...

When my son was little and learning to color I would color with him and then when he went to sleep I would go and color some more to wind down before I went to sleep.....

Those pictures you colored are lovely.

I love the adult coloring books. I alao do the animal ones. As you most know, it rains a litin Oregon, so it is something to keep busy on those long rainy days.