Baby Coloring Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

compassrose26

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
I absolutely adore my baby redfoot Lucy, and I have some questions! I've noticed that her coloring on both her legs and shell is very light compared to what I've seen. Will she get darker as she ages or stay light?

She's extremely outgoing! I've only had her for a week and I've been hand feeding her for days! She loves head rubs, too:) Are most young ones like that?

(I decided she's a girl until I know for sure.)

Attachments

• 0802131216d.jpg
    0802131216d.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 119
  • 0801131456a.jpg
    0801131456a.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 119
  • 0806132356a.jpg
    0806132356a.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 110

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I don't know much about your species. However, I think it's hard to tell. In sulcatas some seem to be dark if inside most of the time and then lighten up, once exposed to outdoor sunlight. Not sure if the same goes for yours

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Watery Wiltshire in the UK
Reds vary a lot. New growth will be black, so by the time she is an adult the yellow will be dots if you know what I mean. Two things, I wouldn't hand feed too much, once a fortnight at most as you want her to be able to feed herself, and two, don't let her on the carpet as she can big up nasty bits and bobs.

compassrose26

5 Year Member
Michigan
That's really interesting!! I guess I'll find out

Sent from my VS950 4G using TortForum mobile app

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
From what I've read, the head and leg colors will stay the same. The shell changes color over time. You have a very cute little one. And yes, reds vary a lot. One of mine has a mango colored head and deep red legs. It will definitely be interesting to see how they change (in color) over time :D

Oh, and my guys love head rubs a bunch, too! Well.. if they're in the mood for it :p

compassrose26

5 Year Member
Michigan
I like it, too! Everyone always asks why she's called a Redfoot when she's not red at all

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
Beautiful tortoise! New growth on the scutes will come in darker/black, so the carapace will darken up but the head and leg scales should remain fairly similar over time.

I would also discourage hand feeding, it's a great way to get a nippy tortoise in the future as they associate your fingers with food.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
As newly forming epidermis is widening , the softer new tissue is paler than the older parts of the scutes. New growth rings will come in as a faint white and or light gray between the scutes seams…but will darken with time. Overall carapace color usually darkens with age and or exposure to the elements. ( even with hypos) .One of the attributes that makes Redfoots’ so attractive …..the variety of color combos within the species .
JD~:D

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
SWFL
What a little darling! Not a bit shy.

Is that the photos, or are her leg scales yellow?

Ann from CT

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
I might also add….with young RF and Cherries you may also see early signs of “marbling” which starts as little patches of white , and tend to “ variegate out” as the tortoise matures. This too will darken with age and exposure as mentioned above .
Here we see an example of young cherries in the 6” range showing “ marbling” signs.

Redfoots too!

compassrose26

5 Year Member
Michigan
I'll remember that, thanks!!

They are a yellowish orange!

Wow, OK! The variety IS really cool! All the ones from where I got minevlooked very.similar although they were slightly different ages.

sunshine_hugs

5 Year Member
I just wanted to add that when I got my first 2 little ones, there was no red on them at all. Those two are now approx. a year old, and their legs have some red on them (not super bright, but def. red). I'll try to get some pictures to show you how they've changed.

Next, I got 3 hatchlings from a different person, and they were already red as soon as they came to me (all less than a week old).

Just a few days ago, I got 3 more hatchlings (that I'm just holding for a friend), and they are also red already.

As others have said, there's so much variation in redfoots...I find it fascinating to watch how they develop and change!

Oh, and your little one sounds very friendly. She sure is a cutie!!

compassrose26

5 Year Member
Michigan
Were your first two kind of orange as well?

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
The coloring is all "genetics" ....pre programmed...although you will experience differences within clutch-mates as well as striking similarities. The more generations down the line produced and how the coloring , size and shape stay constant is called gene selection.
As far as Red , Orange , Yellow, Purple ,,,"white" ... yup they come in all colors ...:p

]

sunshine_hugs

5 Year Member
I guess so...kind of a yellow-ish colour. I soaked all eight today, and forgot to take pictures of their colour now. Here's when we first got them....

...sorry, not many pics without my kids, when we first got them.

I'll try to update with "colour" pictures tomorrow, or later today if they happen to come out of hiding! :)

One of the newest hatchlings we have has a lighter shell...I'm sure it will grow darker, but it will be neat to watch her change. I wish I would have documented the first 2 a little more closely, like I am now.

compassrose26

5 Year Member
Michigan
They are very yellow!! How cute! (The kid, too)

Status
Not open for further replies.