Adult Box Turtle Developing Bright Spots on Head

Status
Not open for further replies.

shumster

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Central Texas
My box turtle who I had for 20+ years recently developed some bright orange spots on her head. They appear to be symmetrical. Is this normal for a box turtle during their lifetime? Could it be a seasonal thing? She lives outdoors in a shaded enclosure, eating mostly worms and occasionally fruit and sweet potatoes. Thanks in advance for any insight!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Victoria:

Its quite normal for drab little baby box turtles to grow up into beautifully colored creatures. But how on earth can you post such a thread and not include a picture? That's pretty darned nervy of you!! :p

Holy cow! I just re-read your post and realize you said your turtle is 20 years old or more. This is a bit unusual. They usually gain their color quite young. But since you said its symmetrical, I can only assume its ok. But now, all kidding aside, I'd really like to see a picture of it.

Tccarolina

10 Year Member!
CA
Sounds like leprosy, we need pictures! ! !

shumster

5 Year Member
Central Texas
I looked back at some of the older photos I had of Patricia. I noticed that she had hints of the spots in the question about six months ago, but now they're really bright orange compared to back then. Let me know what you guys think! She had always been a pretty monotone turtle throughout her life so her new colors are throwing me for a loop.

Attachments

• DSC_0462.JPG
    DSC_0462.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 77

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
Nice, OK now here's the important question. What have you been doing differently with her in the last year? New foods? More sun? Less sun? Supplements? Marigolds? Red peppers? More worms? She looks very nice.

shumster

5 Year Member
Central Texas
I don't think so - if anything, perhaps I've gut-loaded the european earthworms with some new vegetables like beet greens? I'm doubtful that would do it though. As far as sun exposure goes, she's in the shade and doesn't have direct sunlight during the summer (too risky with our ridiculously hot summers). I did put her back into a combined enclosure with a male turtle friend that I had separated for awhile but they seem to get along fine again. Perhaps she's blushing??

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Are you sure Patricia isn't Patrick?

shumster

5 Year Member
Central Texas
Patricia has laid her fair share of eggs over the years so I'm pretty positive about her sex ;o)

~Victoria

Saloli

5 Year Member
middle river
The beat greens have carotenoids which are needed to make the orange and red pigments. These pigments are photosensitive so they need to be replaced Though you may want to lookin the pen see if you see any plants of the carrot family many are edible to boxers and are high in carotenoids.

shumster

5 Year Member
Central Texas
supremelysteve said:
Is the picture the new one?

Yes - those are her new orange spots in the photo. Before this, she had just been a plain, brown box turtle with a few yellow markings.

shumster

5 Year Member
Central Texas
Thanks for the suggestions, I'll keep my eye out. It sounds overall that whatever is going on isn't harmful - so long as she's a happy turtle, so am I!

~Victoria

Status
Not open for further replies.