Adoption/Rescue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neohippy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Red Deer, AB
Made a road trip (only 800km or so) to check out an adult female redfoot. The price was right, that's for sure. Especially since this particular one is already 6 years old and about 9.5" (241mm). She weighs around 7.5lbs (1650g).

Got there to discover no soaking pool, no heat, and no humidity. Fluorescent bulbs were used for light, and they were kept in the basement without so much as a heater close by. Her eyes were sunken in and teary, and her pyramiding is fairly bad. Her nails and beak are also overgrown.
I took her home, and let the previous owners know I'd take their other red foots off their hands, should they feel the need to part with them. There were two more in their house.

The redfoot without a name, is currently residing in a 4' x 2' tupperware bin undergoing rehydration through use of proper food, humid substrate, and a soaking pool (baking pan). I'm getting her some stone, and concrete eating/bathing stations made up here soon to work on the nails and beak.

Either way, after 1 day now, her eyes look much better, not nearly as sunken in, she is holding herself up and trekking with some gusto, and seems to really enjoy when I scrub between her pyramids with a toothbrush (she is filthy).

Again, I'll post pics when I'm less lazy. This little girl is my inspiration for the new setup I am building. Should be a tad better than the 8sq/ft she was in.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Congratulations on your new redfoot addition! Too bad you couldn't talk the previous owners out of their other tortoises too. Some people just don't deserve to have animals. Glad you were able to fit her into your family. Its so rewarding to rescue them and give them a better life.

Yvonne

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Congratulations on your new Redfoot. I'm so glad you rescued her things sound pretty bad there. I'm hoping that they call you for the rest of them. Did you get to pass on the message to them that they were not being taken care of properly? I know it was not the perfect situation to do that, but I was just wondering. Good luck with your new tortoise.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
I think you should send the owners some info if they are keeping the other ones.. Share what you have learned sort of thing...

Neohippy

5 Year Member
Red Deer, AB
You know you have an OCD when you think, several hours later: "Did I do that Conversion right?"

I meant 7.5lbs (3405g), sorry metric lovers everywhere.

Neohippy

5 Year Member
Red Deer, AB
A few days later now, and you can actually see her eye bulge from the top. No sneaking up on her now. She seems to enjoy being able to see up when looking forward.
She is an active scamp, moving crap aside, pushing my computer chair around. She does enjoy crunching on snails when she finds them. What a sickening crunch.
Penelope is her name now. Penny for short.
Should have her into a new 6' x 2.5' enclosure soon, just waiting for the fundage to flow. If it all works out I'll post results and cost. If it fails miserably, I'll save face by never mentioning it again, and denying any recollection of the idea in the first place.

Either way: Adult Tortoise = Awesome. I love her to bits. Can't wait to get her a little boyfriend... and a bigger place to live to house the cute little pet rocks.

Status
Not open for further replies.