Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Ga
Thank you! He does keep making a sort of huffing snuffling sound through his nose, is that normal? I think he’s just nervous.
Not normal to be doing it all the time. However they do make a huffing, kind of Hiss sound when they get startled and retract their head fast. I'd bet this is what your hearing.

erinbug

Tomball
IMG_4318.jpg

He didn’t eat anything so I plopped him in a tub and let him soak, which he seemed to enjoy thoroughly!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
My bad, sorry! I'm still a little confused, though - how would a different dish make a difference?
A plant saucer sunk down into the substrate puts the water at face level to the tortoise. Then if he decides to enter the water, the sloping sides on the inside allow him to climb out without over compensating. Straight up and down sides cause them to get too far straight up and they tip over backwards into the water.

erinbug

Tomball
A plant saucer sunk down into the substrate puts the water at face level to the tortoise. Then if he decides to enter the water, the sloping sides on the inside allow him to climb out without over compensating. Straight up and down sides cause them to get too far straight up and they tip over backwards into the water.

I will definitely switch that out then, thank you!

erinbug

Tomball
All of the time when he breathes or just when he is startled?

It just seemed to be when he was nervous, not necessarily startled - he was doing it when I first took him home, and also this morning when I took him out. He did it for a couple minutes then stopped.

MPappagallo

Myrtle Beach, SC
View attachment 274480

Meet Tortellini!! Since bringing him home he has pooped (a lot), had a snack, paced for a bit, made half an attempt at burrowing, then retreated to his hide. I’m in love!

Still need some more big leafy fake plants - any suggestions on where to get those for not too much money?
LOVE the name! LOL He looks like a real cutie. Best of luck with him!

erinbug

Tomball
IMG_4327.jpg

Still feeling very shy and sleeping lots - hasn’t eaten any of the food I’ve given him so far but I’m not too worried yet

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Awesome, I'll pick some up on the way home from work! thanks
Banana should only be used as a treat normally but it will probably get him going. My guy wouldn't eat for a few days when I first got him but once I gave him some banana it was like the floodgates opened and he started eating everything.

erinbug

Tomball
Banana should only be used as a treat normally but it will probably get him going. My guy wouldn't eat for a few days when I first got him but once I gave him some banana it was like the floodgates opened and he started eating everything.

Well hopefully it works for my lil dinosaur too

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
It just seemed to be when he was nervous, not necessarily startled - he was doing it when I first took him home, and also this morning when I took him out. He did it for a couple minutes then stopped.
I don't know your situation. Where you live, etc.
But if it were one of mine, I would take him to my vet for an X ray. Because it could be a respiratory issue such as pneumonia.
Hopefully it is not.

erinbug

Tomball
I don't know your situation. Where you live, etc.
But if it were one of mine, I would take him to my vet for an X ray. Because it could be a respiratory issue such as pneumonia.
Hopefully it is not.

I wanted to take him to the vet anyway to check for parasites, etc so I will do that - is there a thread on good tortoise vets? I live in Texas just north of Houston

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I wanted to take him to the vet anyway to check for parasites, etc so I will do that - is there a thread on good tortoise vets? I live in Texas just north of Houston
Yes.
A moderator can hook you up.
But it may take a while.
Maybe you could make a new post asking for help finding a good vet in your location.
We have many members near you.