Adjusting Tortoise Questions- please help!

Location (City and/or State)
Fargo, ND
Thank you for all the help, everyone, really. My original plan was to leave him completely alone for a few days so he'd get used to everything, but friday I decided to bring him outside to explore and did an intro soaking of about 5 minutes to try to get him used to it. Of course within 2 hours of being back inside he ate a chunk out of his huge collard leaf. I cried I was so happy. Still am a little nervous. I have read they are ferocious eaters etc, but he ate about 1/4 of that huge leaf one day and a little more the next and that was it. Also have not seen a bowel movement. I soaked him last night for 15 minutes and he didn't have one then either. I know he hasn't been eating a ton, but the girl at petsmart-who I am friends with- said he had been pooping all over his terrarium and that it all looked good.

"We do most of our shopping at our local co-op, which has a pretty large selection of organic seasonal and non-commercial items. I saw you are in Fargo and did a quick search. It looks like you just had an organic produce shop open up this year!

Natural Grocers
4517 13th Ave S, Fargo, ND 58103"

I just went there on friday! They had collards, but were all out of dandelion greens. I laughed that it was such a hot item. But yes, that store just opened recently and I checked it out. I also am looking into at home things I can plant and finding things in my garden that I see he can eat just not staples of his diet.

THANK YOU ALL! If you have more suggestions please share! I am drawing up plans for a pretty grand indoor table for him that I plan on making soon. hopefully eventually he'll be able to roam the house all day- dog and cat permitting. ;)

Nephelle

Location (City and/or State)
Pittsburgh, PA
Natural Grocers
4517 13th Ave S, Fargo, ND 58103"

I just went there on friday! They had collards, but were all out of dandelion greens. I laughed that it was such a hot item. But yes, that store just opened recently and I checked it out. I also am looking into at home things I can plant and finding things in my garden that I see he can eat just not staples of his diet.

I'm so glad!! I completely feel your stress. And I bet if you go on Dandelion Day, you will meet every other tortoise keeper in Fargo LOL!

My new baby isn't eating as well as I had hoped, either. I have been adjusting her lights for the last two days in an attempt to up them. Dealing within a margin of a few degrees is so much harder than I'd expected! I was working my way through old threads last night, trying to get a feel for other's experiences, and I came across this:

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/new-to-torts-russian-not-eating.83939/#post-782830

Specifically referencing her update post:

"**UPDATE**

Speedy is eating!

I guess the problem was placement of his food dish?

See, I had his deep bedding for digging on the far left of the cage followed by his cool hide, his food and water dishes, then his warm hide and basking area on the far right of the cage. The food dish was only about 7or8 inches from his basking area but I suppose every inch counts. Today I put some food directly on his basking stone and he is eating!
Not just a nibble but big bites!
I think we're gonna be ok...
I was so excited when I saw him eating that I literally started dancing."

I haven't seen a picture of your enclosure so I'm not sure how you are feeding, BUT I had a lightbulb moment reading that. I had been placing food in the cool end as well, because in my mind that "made sense" as it would keep the food fresher for longer. This morning, I placed a pile of food on her basking rock and....she ate! (Not a ton, but she's 2" so I am actually not sure how much she's going to eat yet.)

I have poured through the care sheets and if that was mentioned elsewhere, I sure missed it! It makes sense, though--she is most active when she's warm, and eating is activity!

Thought I'd mention it since I saw immediate success :)

:<3: