Adjusting Tortoise Questions- please help!

Location (City and/or State)
Fargo, ND
Hello,

I just adopted an approximately 1 year old Russian Tortoise from Petsmart. He was given back to them because he would not eat the commercial tortoise food and became ill from not eating for quite a while. Petsmart had him into an exotics veterinarian where all tests turned up normal, and after supplementing him they concluded he is just picky. They found he loved fresh vegetables and would only pick at the commercial food if at all. They got him completely healthy and said he was eating every few days, fresh veggies, his favorite being kale.

So I took him home tuesday evening, and so I have had him for a little over 2 days now. I know it probably take him a while to settle in, but how long until I should worry? I keep the veggies in at all times and then throw them out and put fresh ones in. He has not eaten anything, and I have not seen a stool anywhere. He does seem to go into his water dish at least once a day, but he usually digs and buries himself or goes in his hide hut.

I am used to cats and dogs and their constant need to eat and drink and this is just a little different for me. Especially looking at how sick he was!

Any help would be great. Please no judgements- I have never owned any type of exotic pet before, but I assure you I am very ready to learn and did do research on these guys before I got him. I just know it's best to prevent problems than solve them when it comes to animals!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I honestly don't know where to start. first off he's more than likely a year older older than a year I mean. diets all wrong he needs weeds and leafy greens.as for re adjustment it takes time a few days a few weeks sometimes. It's hard to tell time and patience is what's needed right now. also what are his temps?

Fargo, ND
His temps are about 70 at one end and then his basking light is at the opposing end which I am still adjusting but it is about 90. I mist it to keep the humidity up a little because with the heat lamp it drops it pretty fast. I turn the lamp off at night so the temp is around 65-70 at night.

Substrate is a mix of mostly coconut coir and some repti-bark. His hideout is on the cooler end and the substrate is nearly 4 inches deep so he can dig. He is in a large aquarium right now, in a spare bedroom where it is quiet so he can get used to being somewhere new. I plan on building a "tortoise table" and having him out in the living room or kitchen once he is more comfortable at the house and used to my dog and cat- I don't want them to scare him.

As far as weeds and leafy greens can you elaborate? I have spring mix, romaine, and kale with Ca supplement sprinkled on top available. And, just to try to entice eating I also put in a couple of soaked tablets of the tortoise commercial food in case that is what he wanted.

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
I'm sorry I should have elaborated. weeds including but not limited to dandelions plantain mallow those are the three I use but there are others. basically any broadleaf weed you can find he should eat also 90 is a little cool I would try to get it closer to 100

Fargo, ND
I am trying to get it warmer, just having a hard time. I want it at 95.

And this may sound very dumb, but where are you finding these weeds? Just outside? I live in ND, and pretty soon anything living is dead. I guess all the research I did mentioned weeds are good but also stated a lot about different vegetables- especially spring mixes.

Fargo, ND
I guess my main concerns are if I am expecting him to settle too soon or if he should be more active already. I have the mindset that taking him out and "bonding" will help him feel more comfortable- but at the same time I know he is scared and not used to his surroundings so adding more may be detrimental.

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
I grow my own so I don't have to find them.their diet should consist of weed leaves and flowers of various plants including but not limited to grape leaves mulberry leaves hibiscus leaves and flowers. fruits and vegetables should consist of only 5% or less of a diet

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
I guess my main concerns are if I am expecting him to settle too soon or if he should be more active already. I have the mindset that taking him out and "bonding" will help him feel more comfortable- but at the same time I know he is scared and not used to his surroundings so adding more may be detrimental.
when I have a new tortoise I try not to handle them until they adjust I think it makes it easier on them and puts less stress on them. this is how I do things.

Fargo, ND
Thanks for the help. I guess I just am still having a hard time with the diet. I see you live in CA where these weeds are accessible, but I live in ND and I have grass and that's about it. I plan on planting my own garden next spring, but nothing I can do about it all now. Can they or do they eat just grass clippings after mowing the lawn? I just am not sure what's safe... are there any concerning toxins to these guys?

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
grass clippings are fine but it is not in their diet so they may not eat it but you can always try and see what happens. spring mix is acceptable.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the forum!

The main thing wrong with your tortoise is that he's wild caught and pining to be back in his home territory. It's going to take time to help him realize he's safe. It would really help if you could set him up in a safe and secure outdoor yard so he feels a little more natural.

Russian tortoises are browsers, not grazers. This means they look for broad leaf plants and weeds to eat, not grasses. If you can't find any weeds that he'll eat, you can use escarole, endive, turnip greens, grape leaves, mulberry leaves, etc.

Fargo, ND
I appreciate your input- but like I said before, I am in ND and there aren't grape leaves etc anywhere that I know of. Outdoors doesn't seem like a good option when it gets -20 most of the winter and if it's not winter and frozen its raining or 110 degrees.
I guess I just don't know where I would find escarole, endive, turnip greens etc. I have never seen any of these things in a store...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I just looked at the weather in North Dakota and the 7 day forecast calls for days to be in the 70's and 80's. That's plenty warm enough for your Russian to be outside. Yes, your winters are quite cold, but the winters in a Russian tortoise's native land are quite cold also. That's why they hibernate for more than 6 months out of the year. Your tortoise is not eating. We're trying to tell you what we've done in the past to get them to eat.

I never saw half of what I now buy for my tortoises in the store either. I went to the store and looked for my iceberg lettuce, tomatoes, onions, cucumbers and potatoes. I never shopped for tortoises, so never really gave the rest of the produce section a second look. You'd be surprised what they sell when you start really looking. And if you don't see it, ask the produce manager. I asked one time if he could order some dandelion greens (another good tortoise food). He ordered a case and discovered there were quite a few other customers who bought it too. It's now a regular product on his shelf.

Fargo, ND
So you are saying it is safe to house him outside year round? I am just trying to make sure the differences in areas is understood. I guess to my understanding, Russian Tortoises are an acceptable species to be housed indoors. In my research I found that if too hot or too cold and they are outside they will burrow- but how do they burrow if the ground is frozen? I guess I want to keep him indoors, like a lot of people choose to do.
My main question was how long without eating is ok? He just got here 2 days ago and was eating at the petsmart every few days and seemed fine. I guess I asked for no judgement, and I feel I have made you upset already because he is not outdoors. I could surely put him outside every day, but I figured he should settle in first...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
No, that's not what I said at all. It's quite ok to bring them inside during inclement weather. But to answer your questions, they usually bury themselves before the ground freezes.

It's hard to provide a Russian tortoise with a big enough indoor habitat. They wander over great distances and when penned up in a small indoor habitat they 'sulk.'

Give your tortoise some time. He shouldn't starve himself. Just make sure you've given him what he needs (read the care sheet pinned at the top of the Russian section) and hopefully he'll come around.

AnimalLady

Welcome!

I just want to say that a lot of store bought spring mixes bring spinach, you should try and pick that out as its not ideal for your tort. if one slips every now and again its okay.
I havent found a spring mix that doesnt include spinach, but I know they exist. :)

crazytortoiselady

5 Year Member
Hey! :) I have a relatively newly-adopted Russian as well, and I also live where it gets cold in the winter, so a lot of his food by necessity comes from the produce isle at the supermarket. I've found that when he's being stubborn about eating (which isn't often, tbh, but it does happen) he'll always be willing to take a few bites out of something like arugula, or herbs like dill weed and basil and cilantro. And once he starts eating, he doesn't stop for some time. He seems to be most tempted by these stronger-tasting veggies/weeds/herbs! Probably because he's made curious about how they taste by their strong smells. So if your dude's being a picky eater, this might be something to try! And these sorts of things can be found at a supermarket. :)

Nephelle

Pittsburgh, PA
Hi there!

I am a new Russian owner, too, and I know the feeding concept is overwhelming. Up until last week, I had never thought to look to see if my grocery carried dandelion. Turns out, they did!

We do most of our shopping at our local co-op, which has a pretty large selection of organic seasonal and non-commercial items. I saw you are in Fargo and did a quick search. It looks like you just had an organic produce shop open up this year!

Natural Grocers
4517 13th Ave S, Fargo, ND 58103

There is also a pretty cool app for your phone that you can get for free, called The Tortoise Table (it might also be online, not sure). It is a great place to start to figure out what is okay for them to eat and what isn't. I am still very much figuring this out, myself!

This seed mix also comes highly recommended on the forums http://www.tortoisesupply.com/TestudoMix --I have ordered it, but haven't received or planted yet. I am in PA, which does not get as cold as you guys--but almost! My plan is to figure out a good selection of seeds and install an indoor grow light in my spare room to grow over-winter. Yay for inside cold-weather projects :)

Best of luck!

Nephelle

Pittsburgh, PA
I guess I asked for no judgement, and I feel I have made you upset already because he is not outdoors...

As a quick follow up, I doubt very much Yvonne was judging you :) I am learning that when asking questions in the forum, you often are presented with the "ideal" scenario. This doesn't mean we are all going to be able to replicate it exactly, but it gives a good goal to shoot for! Everyone's situation is different and that is understood :)

For instance, in this case...Yvonne was pointing out that Russians need a lot of space to roam around. Ideally, that would be outside. In your case, if that's not possible, at least now you have a better idea of sizing when it comes time to build your table. I live in an apartment without yard access, so my options are limited right off the bat--but, I do have a big porch that I am already starting to plan on converting most of to a tortoise habitat in the spring :) I think the goal in this is to keep trying and just do your best :<3:

As for your original question, I did a quick forum search and found this thread that sounds like a similar situation to yours, if you read through there is some good info :) http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/new-to-torts-russian-not-eating.83939/#post-782830