Adding door to plastic bin

voodoochild

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tampa FL
So I am wanting to modify a bin I'm using. Right now it's an open top but I am wanting to put the lid on it. It's not a clear bin so I was thinking about making a door out of some clear acrylic. Has anyone else done this? This is only going to be used as an indoor knight box or housing when I'm out of town. I am wanting the bin to trap heat and humidity better. Thanks!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yes, I've seen quite a few plastic tubs with lid covers. Most I've seen have a hole or two cut out where the light sits. Be sure to test it several times before you go out of town leaving it alone. Make sure it does what you're expecting it to do.

Careym13

5 Year Member
Northern Virginia
I used a plastic lid when my torts were really little. But like Yvonne said, make sure you monitor temps and everything well in advance before leaving your tort in it because having that lid on can drastically change the temps and it can take a while to get the temps to where they need to be.

voodoochild

10 Year Member!
Tampa FL
I'm sorry I wasn't too clear. I meant a door on the front side of the bin. My bin is in a rack so it would be difficult to get into it from the top with a lid on it. Any suggestions on how to attach the door? I was thinking of using zip ties as a hinge but thought there may be a better way. And I'm not sure what kind of locking mechanism to use.

Thanks for the warning on temps. It will be hooked up to a thermostat. They'll only be in at night. I just want to make sure to keep it above 70f. Right now it stays above that without any heat but eventually we may get a cold night or two and my garage could get down to the upper 50s if it gets really cold out.