Adding a third?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hauntmom

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Mesa, AZ
Ok so I've seen on here that having two sullys is not a good thing and since I'm not going to get a cherryhead.... I'll look into getting a third sully. My questions are...

1. Both of my sullys are about 2 so I can't get a hatchling right? I got Kresh in Jan. 2011 and Lola in July 2011

2. Where would I find a two year old sully to add to my group? My husband will kill me if I send too much.

3. The two I have now don't seen to be fighting and have grown up together. What if they fight when I get the new one? I don't have the room to separate them?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If you don't have the room to separate, then don't get another. There is no way that three is a guarantee of getting along. In order for most too get along, they need a very large outdoor enclosure with lots of sight barriers. Also, if you don't have the room to separate three, then you probably don't have enough room to house too together. Maybe get a Russian or Herman's that stays small. It wouldn't be able to go in with the sulcatas, but needs a little less room.
Also, a hatchling would not be able to go in with the older ones.

M

Maggie Cummings

As they mature the males will fight over the female. I find it somewhat unnerving when you say you don't have enough room to separate them. What are you when they are bigger and sexual mature. If you don't have room to separate them and you certainly wouldn't want 25hatchlings running around .They will fight over the female and sometimes the fights are bad and somebody gets flipped on his back.
I keep Bob who was recently weighed at 130 pounds, he has grazed his yard so the grass is all gone and has to eat hay now. Anyhow Bob is very personable, he has ruined the inside of his shed and he's grazed all the grass way.
I know from experience that keeping small growing tortoises is fun. But sooner or later there will be trouble.

Hauntmom

5 Year Member
Mesa, AZ
Kresh is 3 lb 12 Oz - 9 in

And Lola is 1 lb 7.2 Oz - 6 in

They do well together right now and I have a big back yard. I could cut the yard in half if I needed to but it wouldn't work if I had to put two on one half and one on the other, I don't think it would be big enough then. Also if a time came where I'd have to separate one of them I'll have to deal with that then.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Just to keep in mind. It's more like when the time comes to separate, not if the time comes. Also, if they are both the same age, but such different weights, are you sure the bigger one is not bullying the littler one, at least around the food. That could be the reason for the weight difference. However, it could also just be that one is a slower grower. Just be sure it's not bullying. The one being bullied could get sick and/or die. It's not always so obvious. It could be as little as anytime the little one goes to eat, the bigger one goes towards him and then the little one changes its mind, while the bigger one goes and eats. Just don't want you to have too deal with a sick tort.

Hauntmom

5 Year Member
Mesa, AZ
I really have watched for bullying and I don't see it. I watch them eat and they both eat at the same time I don't see him move to her or push her to get to the food. I got Kresh about 6 months before her and I think he was about a month old already so he is a little older then her.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hauntmom said:
I really have watched for bullying and I don't see it. I watch them eat and they both eat at the same time I don't see him move to her or push her to get to the food. I got Kresh about 6 months before her and I think he was about a month old already so he is a little older then her.

That's good. Just always be on the look out for it. Fingers crossed, you will be one of the very few, if there is any, that doesn't have a problem.

Hauntmom

5 Year Member
Mesa, AZ
They are really rather cute with each other. They are always together, they sleep together, hide in the shade together. And it is not just the bigger one walking to the smaller one. She follows him too and snuggles up to him as well.

Hauntmom

5 Year Member
Mesa, AZ
I'll take a pic tomorrow and post it.
:)

So since this thread was about adding a third. Is everyone saying I sure stick with the two it should I look into a third?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
My opinion. You should stick with the two you have. If you want another, look into the small species that don't need quite as much room. When your sulcatas are big, they will need lots of room and most likely separate enclosures.

Hauntmom

5 Year Member
Mesa, AZ
20130120_165709_zps31d1f6c0.jpg

Hope the pic works. Here is the two of them together snuggled up lol

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
They are really cute and I hope they stay like that forever! I think tortoises are solitary creatures and do best on their own. I have three but they are all separated inside and outside.

Linzbragg

5 Year Member
Have you always been keeping them on hay? From what I was told by others on this forum, that's one of the worst substrates to keep them on. It doesn't hold any moisture and gets Moldy when it's wet. Use basic topsoil and mix in some coco coir. A bag of topsoil costs less than $3 and lasts forever and is actually good for your tort. I think there's a substrate section on the forum

Hauntmom

5 Year Member
Mesa, AZ
This pic is from out side and I put the hay down this winter cuz the ground was cold so I thought I would help to keep them warm. I can rake it off now that it's warmer during the day.

jmlmomma

5 Year Member
I guess you have to remember just how big they get and how much they will eat also. I heard some cost $150.00 a month just to feed one!

image-3742902688.png

This guy has 7 acres and moves there pen. So they have grass year round. And he only has 2

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Linzbragg said:
Have you always been keeping them on hay? From what I was told by others on this forum, that's one of the worst substrates to keep them on. It doesn't hold any moisture and gets Moldy when it's wet. Use basic topsoil and mix in some coco coir. A bag of topsoil costs less than $3 and lasts forever and is actually good for your tort. I think there's a substrate section on the forum

Hay actually isn't that bad for older ones. Once they get to a certain size, around 8 inches or so, the humidity doesn't have to be high, like what is needed for the little ones. I believe lot of members use hay for their larger ones for winter warmth. As long as you keep it cleaned and dry.

Status
Not open for further replies.