OMG! (eating substrate)

Kirin

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Chino, CA
So Sheldon has been constipated that last few days. He has been having a hard time getting his poo out and when he finally does it is really hard. Yesterday after his soak I put him down on the floor with my daughter so I could do some clean up in his tank. My daughter said he was trying to poop and when he finally did it was hard. I picked it up and squeezed it like I have been doing and there was something hard in this one. I pulled it apart and there was a big and I mean big piece of cypress bark in it. He has been eating the bark! I could not believe he ate such a big piece and that he was able to pass it. Just very glad he did. So pulled out all of the substrate and put in only peat moss. So far I think I like it better. I haven't seen a poo today in his bath or in his tank but he'll get another bath in the morning and hopefully he has passed all of it already.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
RE: OMG!

That's why I like coconut coir. Hope that's all he has. Keep us updated. You might want to do a couple soaks a day until he poops normal.

Kirin

5 Year Member
Chino, CA

I have been soaking him twice a day and will continue until his poo is back to normal. Thanks me too. It scared me.

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
SWFL
Re: OMG!

Geesh, they love to worry us!

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA

Please let me know if he's still not normal. If you wind up going to a vet because of this, you may want to make sure he's not compacted by having him x-rayed. If there more stuff inside, please let me know what the vet recommends? But, I do hope that was the last of it!

Ashley_Sheldon

5 Year Member
OMG!

Please keep us updated i want to hear more about this and hopefully your Sheldon is alright ! Is he a baby ? I know that my little guy will eat anything that looks good enough ! ( hes 3 months btw ) :D i have him on coconut fiber which is basically the same thing as coconut coir ! :)

jordo6668

5 Year Member

Is this common? I was planning on switching my rt to Cypress mulch but am a little scared now.

Kirin

5 Year Member
Chino, CA

Thanks everyone for being concerned. Sheldon is 1 year, just turned this month. After his bath this morning he did a normal poop. All sticks are out, YEAHHHHHH!

Kirin

5 Year Member
Chino, CA

No I wouldn't. I was using coconut fiber and cypress mulch. He has been on this for 7 months and never had a problem. Now peat moss only. If he eats it he will be fine. It was very scary. These were big pieces of sticks.

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
SWFL

I raised my fedfoot hatchlings on moss, then introduced a bottom layer of coconut coir. This summer, at 2 they were introduced to cypress mulch. Both of them sampled it. One spit it out immediately. The other swallowed a piece before I could get it out of her mouth. I watched and worried. But no problems and I have never seen either take a bite since. I do have a damp layer of coconut coir underneath and thickly seed their entire habitat. Much of what grows gets tromped down, but I believe it deters them from thinking about chomping on the substrate.
I know some are hopeless and best raised on less worrisome substrate.

jordo6668

5 Year Member

I talked to tortoisesupply.com and they said they have not had a problem using Cypress mulch they said the peoples tortoises that eat them are probably fed from the substrate and not from dishes. But to call it safe im sticking with coco fiber

edwardbo

5 Year Member

Hello, respectfully ,are you sure he's getting a big enough diet ? Try giving a worm or a little chicken ,some fruits ,Mellon ,SWEET POTATO , a heavy dose of vit / mineral supplement ,Even a piece of fish , really try an earthworm . Sometimes when animals are lacking something in the diet it is expressed as pica . Try more protein