Acclimating New Sulcata

Status
Not open for further replies.

goReptiles

10 Year Member!
I recently purchased a 13 month old sulcata. How can I get her used to me? I've not had too many problems with my Russians or red foots.

I've tried hand feeding, but she won't eat at all when I'm sitting by her.

I've had her for a month or so. She spends most of the time outside.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Give her some more time. They usually come around. Are you sure its female. Some of the females tend to be less interactive. Try hand feeding with red, yellow and orange stuff. Sometimes I'll sit for 15-20 minutes in one spot with a new tortoise. Often the they just motor away, but if you persist, she will get more and more used to you. Hunger helps too. If mine are in their pens during the height of weed season, they could care less about me. Right now, in the dry season, when there is no food other than what I give them, they are all my best friends. They follow me like a pack of puppies. When the rains kick in in another couple of months they will be like, "Tom? Tom who?"

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Tom said:
Right now, in the dry season, when there is no food other than what I give them, they are all my best friends. They follow me like a pack of puppies. When the rains kick in in another couple of months they will be like, "Tom? Tom who?"

Ditto!

drgnfly2265

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
FLORIDA
The biggest help for me was hand feeding. When I started doing that it seemed like I became #1 to her, well except for food of course :rolleyes:. But since I have stopped that (she starting thinking my fingers were yummy), I use the time that I mist her as our bonding time.

And Tom, I didn't know that the females are less interactive. Wow, explains her moody attitude, lol :p

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Not always, but often enough for it to be noticeable.

goReptiles

10 Year Member!
I'm thinking female. I'm attaching a picture.

I finally got her to eat some greens from me last night, but any sudden movements and she sucked in.

tonga2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.