Accidental new baby sulcata mom

Trishk

Location (City and/or State)
Santa Barbara
Hi there. I am an accidental new mom to a baby sulcata. My dog was barking like crazy at something in the backyard which turned out to be a tiny maybe one month old. Long story short, I believe a female sulcata laid a nest on my property! I found the eveidence of a huge pile of dirt and rocks which I couldn’t imagine what dug it. Luckily the dog was afraid of it lol!
Well I read all I could and have him or him in a 35 gallon terrarium with heat lamps, water etc.
He’s about 5 months old now. He weighed one and a half ounces when I found him. Now he is over four ounces and eats like a champ.
Attached are a couple of photos of him. In my hand the day I found him and today foraging in the backyard under my watchful eye.
I named him Tiny Tim as he showed up around the holidays.

Attachments

• 366D957B-FDB8-4C00-938B-1C98F2B6082E.jpeg
    366D957B-FDB8-4C00-938B-1C98F2B6082E.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 8
  • B1389FA0-71D6-41DF-A7E6-6C4830C18AF5.jpeg
    B1389FA0-71D6-41DF-A7E6-6C4830C18AF5.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 16
  • 9E3DF4F6-8CFB-43B5-9203-F5AD45FA5AF3.jpeg
    9E3DF4F6-8CFB-43B5-9203-F5AD45FA5AF3.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 8

TeamZissou

Albuquerque, NM
Dang, they really are becoming invasive.

Here's the care sheet. A 35 gallon tank is too small. Be sure to check the lighting section and compare it to what you are using.

Trishk

Santa Barbara
Dang, they really are becoming invasive.

Here's the care sheet. A 35 gallon tank is too small. Be sure to check the lighting section and compare it to what you are using.

Thank you.
Welcome to the forum! What a cutie :)

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Lucky you, finding such a cute little friend like that !!
Angie

Thomas tortoise

Arkansas
That is unusual finding a baby sulcata in your back yard like that. I thought Arizona was the only place in the United states where they can hatch by them selves.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
That is unusual finding a baby sulcata in your back yard like that. I thought Arizona was the only place in the United states where they can hatch by them selves.
Nah. FL, CA, LA, Southenr GA and Southern TX too. Baskincally anywhere along the southern border of the US.

Santa Barbara is very unexpected though. Its not hot enough there even in summer. Cold clammy beach weather.

Thomas tortoise

Arkansas
Nah. FL, CA, LA, Southenr GA and Southern TX too. Baskincally anywhere along the southern border of the US.

Santa Barbara is very unexpected though. Its not hot enough there even in summer. Cold clammy beach weather.
Hmmm. I didn't know that! Thank you for correcting my mistake Tom! Quick question when do sulcatas even hatch?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hmmm. I didn't know that! Thank you for correcting my mistake Tom! Quick question when do sulcatas even hatch?
When housed outdoors here in North America in a warm climate, they lay eggs from December until about May in our colder season. Eggs hatch after about 90 days of incubation at 88. When the eggs are left in the ground they can only hatch after a long hot summer, so usually in late October.

Trishk

Santa Barbara
When housed outdoors here in North America in a warm climate, they lay eggs from December until about May in our colder season. Eggs hatch after about 90 days of incubation at 88. When the eggs are left in the ground they can only hatch after a long hot summer, so usually in late October.

Trishk

Santa Barbara
Yes I was quite surprised, our summer was hardly hot at all in 2021. I estimate it hatched in early October. My little miracle tortoise.

Gijoux

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yes I was quite surprised, our summer was hardly hot at all in 2021. I estimate it hatched in early October. My little miracle tortoise.
I'm surprised you didn't find more. A large sulcata can lay 2 dozen or more eggs. Glad you are having fun. I hope your yard can handle the tortoise when full grown. They dig, burrow and become bulldozers. You will have a few years before to get prepared. Start growing lots of plants in your yard for food later.

Trishk

Santa Barbara
I'm surprised you didn't find more. A large sulcata can lay 2 dozen or more eggs. Glad you are having fun. I hope your yard can handle the tortoise when full grown. They dig, burrow and become bulldozers. You will have a few years before to get prepared. Start growing lots of plants in your yard for food later.

Trishk

Santa Barbara
Yes, I looked around. This little one had made it from the front to the backyard. Perhaps others made it into other yards but I haven’t heard of any. I do know sulcatas grow to be huge and I plan to create a secure, I hope enclosure. I’m not sure if the mother might be the same one I found several years back out in the middle of the street!
A rescue came and got her, he said she was about seventy five pounds. I have heard they return to the same spot to lay eggs. Thanks for writing.