Baby Sulcata Squeaks

Madkathq

Location (City and/or State)
Lake Elsinore
My baby Sulcata is in a tank that averages 70% humidity (I try for 80% but the heat kills that), 80-90 degrees ambient, 100 degrees basking. Several days ago I posted asking why he was chirping that night, and Tom replied that he was too cold. He had been in a 75 degree environment for one day when I asked my mom to watch him, and I have kept him nice and extra cozy since. I noticed that today, even in a warm cage he makes tiny squeaks every now and then only while sleeping. They are not frequent, and in the past hour I've heard it maybe twice. This is the first time hearing this since the much louder chirping that I consulted you all about. He eats from my backyard and gets calcium supplement once a week. He has access to cuttlebone and will soon have access to eggshells. I should receive minerall in the mail any day now, he hasn't had any of that supplement yet.

iAmCentrochelys sulcata

Alief
i agree with tom or i could be the beak rubbing it which makes a squeak sound which is less likely, sometime my tortoise environment drops around 77 or 70 but he doesn’t squeaks.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My baby Sulcata is in a tank that averages 70% humidity (I try for 80% but the heat kills that), 80-90 degrees ambient,

When they are normal and healthy, a minimum of 80 is fine. When you have one on the verge of sickness (chirping), you need to make it warmer than that. Minimum of 85 in the coldest corner of the enclosure day and night. Ambient of 90-95 during the day. Ever been to New Orleans or Florida in August? That is what we are trying to simulate. Hot and humid.

Madkathq

Lake Elsinore
When they are normal and healthy, a minimum of 80 is fine. When you have one on the verge of sickness (chirping), you need to make it warmer than that. Minimum of 85 in the coldest corner of the enclosure day and night. Ambient of 90-95 during the day. Ever been to New Orleans or Florida in August? That is what we are trying to simulate. Hot and humid.
I just checked the tank he was in, it actually might be too hot. Can that cause problems?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The basking reached 103, what should I do?
The basking area being over 100 is fine. Ambient should never go over 100. Really, I wouldn't want it over 95. Ambient of 90 is good. Keep it 85-90 even at night for at least two weeks after symptoms disappear.

Madkathq

Lake Elsinore
The basking area being over 100 is fine. Ambient should never go over 100. Really, I wouldn't want it over 95. Ambient of 90 is good. Keep it 85-90 even at night for at least two weeks after symptoms disappear.
Gotcha, will do! Thank you so much :)
If you don't mind, I posted a thread in the food identification section that I think you could help with, I'm trying to give my babies variety and I found a new plant in the area. Mind taking a look?

keepingslim

5 Year Member
valencia
Hi, I have three Sulacats which I have had from two months old. They are now nearly two years old. One of these three has always made a squeaking noise from time to time. He is just as healthy as the other two, eats and drinks well, weighs the same as the other two. At first I thought it may have been a breathing problem or his beak, but all appears to be just fine. If your tortoise is eating well, active, goes to the toilet as should do, and weighs as he should, more or less, then I really wouldn't worry too much about it. If you are still really concerned, then a trip to a reptile veterinary service will put your mind at reast. Kind regards. Steve

Meika

Houston, TX
My baby Sulcata is in a tank that averages 70% humidity (I try for 80% but the heat kills that), 80-90 degrees ambient, 100 degrees basking. Several days ago I posted asking why he was chirping that night, and Tom replied that he was too cold. He had been in a 75 degree environment for one day when I asked my mom to watch him, and I have kept him nice and extra cozy since. I noticed that today, even in a warm cage he makes tiny squeaks every now and then only while sleeping. They are not frequent, and in the past hour I've heard it maybe twice. This is the first time hearing this since the much louder chirping that I consulted you all about. He eats from my backyard and gets calcium supplement once a week. He has access to cuttlebone and will soon have access to eggshells. I should receive minerall in the mail any day now, he hasn't had any of that supplement yet.
My Sulcata do this from time to time (but not often) and I notice it when they might be fighting or trying to intimidate each other. I have two in one cage and I think the dominant one try’s to bite at him and that’s when he makes the noise. I’ve separated them now but before I did this would happen.

Madkathq

Lake Elsinore
My Sulcata do this from time to time (but not often) and I notice it when they might be fighting or trying to intimidate each other. I have two in one cage and I think the dominant one try’s to bite at him and that’s when he makes the noise. I’ve separated them now but before I did this would happen.
Thank you for that. Mine have been separated for about a week or two now. They could still see each other through the tank though... I never saw any face offs before I separated. I just knew they didn't like each other because they'd crawl on each other

Meika

Houston, TX
Thank you for that. Mine have been separated for about a week or two now. They could still see each other through the tank though... I never saw any face offs before I separated. I just knew they didn't like each other because they'd crawl on each other
Mine would do that too and when I saw the dominant one ram into the other one and almost flip him I knew it was time to move them.