About to get a new Tortoise

SLJ!

Location (City and/or State)
Scotland
Hiya,
I'm about to get a new tortoise on the 3rd March as I wanted to give myself a good few weeks to research. However, I feel like what I'm looking into is quite contradictory. I'm just looking for either good research sites or must know things before I get him/her.

Any advise information you can provide will be much appreciated.

Thank you.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
What species are you getting?

Lexitacos

Michigan
Hiya,
I'm about to get a new tortoise on the 3rd March as I wanted to give myself a good few weeks to research. However, I feel like what I'm looking into is quite contradictory. I'm just looking for either good research sites or must know things before I get him/her.

Thank you.
this forum will probably give you the best possible care opinions. multipule users have created care guides for certain species, im sure you can find stuff here if you look!

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Welcome, read the caresheets for horsefields and ask questions. This is the best forum with the most up to date information. Pet stores are the worst place for info and equipment. Are you getting your tort from a breeder or pet store?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome,
There is a lot old information still being passed around but this is the most up to date caresheet you'll find anywhere and if you follow that your tort should do well.
Pet shops are well known for giving bad advice and selling unsuitable and unsafe equipment, like tables, the wrong bulbs, substrate or steep sided water dishes etc so if you want to check what you need here before spending your hard earned cash then it could save you a lot of hassle and money.

(BTW - congrats to Scotland for their win last week, I'm off to the match tomorrow in Cardiff - so may the best team win - and the way we played last week that could be Scotland!!)

Thomas tortoise

Arkansas
Hiya,

Thank you.
Welcome!