? about barrier under enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

paschallraschalls

5 Year Member
Hello :) I'm a newbie here, on this forum, but not to turtles/tortoises, and I am planning to get into box turtles sometime relatively soon. I am working on planning their outdoor enclosure and had a couple of questions :)

For those of you who have built outdoor enclosures for your boxies:
1) Did you use some sort of barrier to keep them from digging under the wall? If so, what have you found works best?
-I have used this (link below) under my tortoise enclosure and it seems to work ok
http://www.lowes.com/pd_157764-1311...rentURL=/pl__0__s?Ntt=chicken+wire&facetInfo=
- Would landscaping fabric be strong enough? Something like this (with a 20 year warranty)
http://www.lowes.com/pd_119019-2313...tt=landscaping+fabric&facetInfo=#BVRRWidgetID

2)How tall do you feel is a safe height? Does this number take substrate into account?

3) How many inches of substrate do you like to give them?

3) How many sq. ft. per turtle, do you like to have?

Thanks so much for your help!!
Rachel

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Amish Country
I have easterns.
1)I have no barrier to prevent them from digging out, but haven't had any attempts in two years.(I am always looking for digging during egg season)I think it would take several days to tunnel out.
2)Box turtles can climb quite well. I would recommend a smooth vertical surface about 16"
3)My substrate is the ground
4)I have about 20 sq ft per.
You have to be careful with inside corners as far as climbing goes. You want some sort of water feature pond or waterfall. There are a few really fantastic enclosures by other people, browse the box turtle threads and you can get ideas. Remember, bigger is better.

I should add though, that eventhough I don't have an anti-dig barrier, doesn't mean I don't think that it's a good idea.

Turtle Guru

5 Year Member
WV
yes watch out they climb very excellent. So watch out so your guys wont escape on you like mine has done. I dont want you to worry about a lose like i have in the recent past. Just need to build high walls and go on youtube and look at pictures for references. Good Luck :)

Saloli

5 Year Member
middle river
i'd put a berrier say 18'' into the ground that way they don't dig out

paschallraschalls

5 Year Member
Thanks! :) Our ground is awful (roots and rocks everywhere) so digging isn't really an option.

for my Russians I used the "wire" ,linked to above, to keep them from digging out and then 2x12 lumber, but it sounds like the boxies will need even higher walls. Hmmm, I'll have to rethink that. Maybe ground barrier, a few inches of substrate, and 24" walls?

Also, I know leaf mulch is good, how about fallen pine needles as substrate? I am also planning to do a small compost pile in one area to draw bugs/worms in.

Any other advice/tips :) Thanks so much!

paschallraschalls

5 Year Member
I also meant to ask... Do you think 12" would be high enough if I added a lip/ledge on the top?
Thanks again!

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
My Box Turtles are in a large planter so the stone walls go down about three feet. I think it's something like 22 ft. by 5 or 6 ft. The sides are made of stone and are about three ft. high and the top has large pieces of slate that indents about 6 in. I'm not exactly sure of those measurements, but It's pretty close. There's just regular soil in there with lots of plants, and at the end is where all the leaf litter is inside a cave where they hibernate. I lost one Three Toed, so I made sure this is escape proof. I have six box turtles in there and it's plenty big enough that I could put more. I hardly ever see them, except when I bring them food.

Saloli

5 Year Member
middle river
yes 12'' would be high enough with an edge. I have laterite clay mix in my yard so i know abou hard soil. but get a tiller it will make things alot easier

paschallraschalls

5 Year Member
Thanks! I am working on/planning an L shaped enclosure (basically 4x16 and then an additional 8x8 beside that) that will be a total of (roughly) 130 sqft How many boxies do YOU think I could responsibly hold in there?

There is a rescue situation that I know of where there are 5 boxies that need a new home. Would this be enough space for them?
Would I have room to add more than 5, down the road? Building a larger enclosure isn't really an option.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
paschallraschalls said:
Thanks! I am working on/planning an L shaped enclosure (basically 4x16 and then an additional 8x8 beside that) that will be a total of (roughly) 130 sqft How many boxies do YOU think I could responsibly hold in there?

There is a rescue situation that I know of where there are 5 boxies that need a new home. Would this be enough space for them?
Would I have room to add more than 5, down the road? Building a larger enclosure isn't really an option.

At 20 sq ft per boxie, that should hold 5, especially with the L shape.
If you can't dig down at all, make a raised bed 24" + high. Use stacked 2x12's or exterior plywood (home depot will make cuts). Put plastic garden fencing wire or plastic snow fencing straight on the ground (home depot, comes in rolls), lay your first layer of wood around the edge and bend the wire up the inside and staple. You can use 2"x2" or 2" x4" stakes pounded into the ground to stabilize and screw your wood to as you build it up. If drainage/flooding is a concern, top the plastic fencing with layer of gravel. Gravel or not, then cover the fencing with weed fabric. It is also nice to edge the interior with a line of bricks for extra security. Fill with substrate to about 8" or so. That still gives you 16" clearance. Exact amounts of substrate vary with the height of the enclosure, or if you also add a cap as you mentioned, etc. You will also have extra clearance if you actually can dig down in the shape of the enclosure even a few inches.

Status
Not open for further replies.